'The Unofficial Quake Screensaver'

If you have constructive comments or suggestions about the Phrozen Keep for the staff, please post them here. Please note: this is not a forum for discussing mods or modmaking.

Moderator: Tech Support

No votes

Total votes: 0

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

'The Unofficial Quake Screensaver'

Post by Brother Laz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:05 am

This looks important enough to warrant its own topic.
SaladShooter";p="298423" wrote:Recently (late 2006) however FilePlanet has become totally unusable to me despite trying with several different browsers, computers and settings. If I as a professional coder/networker am having troubles doubtless many others are as well...
Me too, there is no way I can download anything. I get that screensaver error both at home and at university. And it happens to others as well.

What does it mean for the Keep when half of the world's population cannot use Fileplanet at all anymore?
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: 'The Unofficial Quake Screensaver'

Post by onyx » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:29 am

Brother Laz";p="298453" wrote: What does it mean for the Keep when half of the world's population cannot use Fileplanet at all anymore?
You run a hosted site and you know very well that we're not part of the File Planet crew and we have no control over it. Maybe, instead of posting that here, you could send them an e-mail with the error that you're getting and explain that others are getting it too. I'll try to contact them too meanwhile, but until they act and fix the issue we can't do anything.

I'm able to download from File Planet just fine, for the record.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 am

i havnt had problems getting onto the download pages of the files in trying to get but the download links are broken half the time or the pop up that appears just loads a blank page. has anyone had problems downloading non d2 related stuff?
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:43 pm

First of all, everyone see what Onyx said, we cant do anything about this. Second of all, this seams not a FP issue but a browser related problem. (Well they probably changed something that several browser setups dislike)

I never had any of these problem. What browser are you using, are referrers enabled etc etc?
Last edited by Nefarius on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:58 pm

ive tried with ie ;firefox (versions 1.02 and 1.52 still have to try it with 2) and opera - ill see if my simple "custom made" browser gives this problem and ive tried on 4 different pcs. sorry about the previous post.
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:14 pm

onyx" wrote:Maybe, instead of posting that here, you could send them an e-mail with the error that you're getting and explain that others are getting it too.
My point is not that the Keep staff can (or should) do anything about it. My point is that it is affecting the Keep. What happens when people try to download tools or mods and can't?
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:57 pm

Try to delete all FP cookies and login again (with referres enabled). Every time in the past I had problems with FP sending me to the wrong files or thinking I wasnt logged in this solved the problem.
Last edited by Nefarius on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:42 pm

its not that they send me the wrong files its that it thats 2-5 refreshes to get a "download now" link that will load the "click here to begin download" pop up. and i had this happen on a pc where id just logged onto fp for the first time with that pc. ill try what you suggested anyway and see if it helps

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Brother Laz";p="298482" wrote: My point is not that the Keep staff can (or should) do anything about it. My point is that it is affecting the Keep. What happens when people try to download tools or mods and can't?
We are as helpless as you until they fix the issue. We're not happy that it happens, but we can do exactly as much as you.
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:06 am

They know about the problem some people have according to their support page where this was added:
Important Notice: If you are here because you received an error page when downloading from on our our Hosted sites, we are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it. Please try your download again later or search on www.fileplanet.com for your needs.

Crono_Devir
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Crono_Devir » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

You could always start a bitorrent/p2p network, perhpas in DC++, I can host a few things.

And the mod authors could keep yousendit.com and megaupload links in their forums...

Its pretty lazy to sit and say "Oh well, half the people can't use fileplanet, it will get fixed when its fixed..*eyes wander off*"

And for the record, i have been useing fileplanet sence 2000, and not once has somethign this big happened. So its not just "a simple error they are working on" If people can't download anything, they will have no use to come to this site. [esp when there are other sites hosting the same mods on thier own space of which we are not allowed to mention] This could very well effect the keep alot mroe than a few angry posters.
Last edited by Crono_Devir on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Something that does not exist cannot bring itself into existence.

Infinity cannot be added to or subtracted from or divided, or multiplied. Numbers are not infinite either. The idea that they are is called a mathematical hallucination. Just as the idea that something can be cut by 50% infinitely is also a hallucination.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:33 am

Crono_Devir";p="298716" wrote:You could always start a bitorrent/p2p network, perhpas in DC++, I can host a few things.
We tried once, didn't get too far.
Crono_Devir";p="298716" wrote: And the mod authors could keep yousendit.com and megaupload links in their forums...
Some of us do ;) I have 3 other mirrors listed on the Back to Hellfire site, Brother Laz also supports external mirrors. However, you can't make anyone do it, each person decides for himself. This isn't a requirement for the hosted sites.
ONYX

Crono_Devir
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Crono_Devir » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Heh, and how plauseable is the reality of haveing the site hosted on its own servers with a dedicated downlaod server? [yeah, that's streching it]
Something that does not exist cannot bring itself into existence.

Infinity cannot be added to or subtracted from or divided, or multiplied. Numbers are not infinite either. The idea that they are is called a mathematical hallucination. Just as the idea that something can be cut by 50% infinitely is also a hallucination.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:17 pm

As I said earlier in another thread, we'd need lots of money for such thing. This site is free, but generates huge traffic and has a giant download base. If you're willing to pay the hosting, we'll gladly review your suggestion ;)
ONYX

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:53 pm

The bandwidth costs for such a huge site (and not to talk about the many GB of server space required for all these files) on a reliable host (yes, there are many hosts that offer 'infinite bandwidth and space for a low price' but those tend to vanish (and with them all your sites content) more often then not, in the matter of month) - We did that experiment when we had our files hosted on xfernet) can easily rise into the 1000ds a month (thatd be roughlt 12K per year - anyone willing to pay this? Guess not.) and this is not viable for any free site that does not ask for subscription fees. Period. This discussion is pointless and I'll vote for locking this if it continues.
Last edited by Nefarius on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Trying to troubleshoot the problem and I need the assistance of anyone who is experiencing troubles with File Planet. Please, post links that don't work, so I can redirect them to the people who try to fix the problem. Are you still having problems with File Planet? If so, supply as much detail as possible: the link itself, exact date and time of occurance and so on, anything you can think of. Thanks in advance.
ONYX

Return to “Feedback”