Weapon Damage types

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Weapon Damage types

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 pm

I don't really know if you are open to ideas/suggestions at this point, but i read a not too outdated post about the old crush, slash, pierce system blizz was gonna put in and it reminded me of a system i came up with years ago, for a D&D type RPG. In case this system would appeal to you, feel free to use it.

The system is based off of 3 types of armor, and 3 types of weapon damage:
Cloth, Chainmail, and Plate. Slashing, Piercing and Crushing as mentioned. You could redefine these as Rending, Penetrating and Impact, however you describe it they represent a blade, a sharp tip and a blunt object (obviously).

Now the thought is that each armor type is designed to reduce damage of a certain weapon type (cloth not necessarily being less "powerful" than plate, etc.
So if facing enemies which use hammer or mace weapons (Crushing) you would want more Cloth armor, While Chainmail reduces damage from Piercing weapons and Plate reduces damage from Slashing weapons.
So-
Slashing - Plate
Piercing - Chain
Crushing -Cloth

Also there are weapons that use combination damage types like an axe would slash and deliver a heavy blow, so it would be like 70% slashing and 30% crushing. Or a polearm which would be 70% crushing and 30% slashing.

Armor itself would be layerable (this could be implemented in a variety of ways, and depending on how far a long you are may or may not be reasonable to do).
Therefor you can stack cloth gloves, then put on chain bracers and finally a set of plate gauntlets. Increasing your protection against all 3 damage types to its maximum potential. However compiling a set of armor with 3 layers for every body slot would be a challenge of course.

The other thing is that although each armor type offers the best protection against one type they do all defend against all weapon types. eg:
Cloth: 50% Crushing protection, 12% Slashing protection, 6% Piercing protection
Chain: 45% Piercing protection, 18% Slashing protection, 8% Crushing protection
Plate: 70% Slashing protection, 10% Crushing protection, 10% Piercing protection
(also this is just how it would work in my own mind, as a blade seems easiest to defend against and a piercing weapon like an arrow seems more difficult to stop)
Anyways this is just an idea, and there's a lot of it that i dont remember exactly how i had designed. But this would be an interesting way to keep more armor types useful.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: Weapon Damage types

Post by Nefarius » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 pm

I'll respond with a more detailed reply once the big update is drafted (it shouldn't be that long anymore before that happens).

I think one main reason why they've dropped this is that it would effect only damage delivered via weapons (and probably monsters physical hits, but they almost all have the same hitclass defined in vanilla), so it would likely have introduced even more bias towards magic then the game already had. One thing we are going to do (everything is prepared for this already), is having a form of magic defense so that damaging spell hits aren't always guaranteed on targets without block. However that for the vanilla concept. Because many units will have their own equipment the separate defenses/absorbs of sorts would be a nice addition (I believe I've mentioned something to that extent in another thread where the C/S/P damages were brought up).
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Louise1

Post by Louise1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am

Is an axe effective to use as weapon?

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Louise1" wrote:Is an axe effective to use as weapon?
The weapons in the mod are expected to be all useable, yes.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Doub
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Doub » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:27 pm

This system with armor/weapon types i really like!! Didnt expect someone to mention it in this forum :)

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”