Character Names in MetalStorm and SE

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Character Names in MetalStorm and SE

Post by Nefarius » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:00 pm

This was brought up before and today I've implemented the revised player name restrictions.

Of course the name still has to be 2-15 letters, this is a technical limitation since it uses fixed size buffers in over 9000 places and for the time being this isn't worth the effort to change. However what is different:

You may use a-z, A-Z, 0-9 in the name, as well as the following symbols <space>, [, ], (, ), -, _, ! and +

The only restriction on the extra symbols is that you may not put a space at the start or end of the name.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Rico

Re: Character Names in MetalStorm and SE

Post by Rico » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:41 pm

well, all i have to say about this.....

the game ain't in the name........
Imagination is more important then knowledge!

BloodyShade
Paladin
Japan

Post by BloodyShade » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:20 am

Nefarius" wrote:This was brought up before and today I've implemented the revised player name restrictions.

Of course the name still has to be 2-15 letters, this is a technical limitation since it uses fixed size buffers in over 9000 places and for the time being this isn't worth the effort to change. However what is different:

You may use a-z, A-Z, 0-9 in the name, as well as the following symbols <space>, [, ], (, ), -, _, ! and +

The only restriction on the extra symbols is that you may not put a space at the start or end of the name.
That's quite nice Nef, never liked the restriction of spaces between names.
Did you replace the whole function or was this something a few patchs could handle?

Hope I'll be able to do some nice stuff soon as well, only thing I did so far was replace the "Unload bin images" function.
Got to start somewhere, right? :)

See you man, keep up the good work.
Those capable of unveiling the mysteries of life are bound to walk an even longer road on their search for happiness. - BloodyShade

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:27 am

I replaced three functions that handle this. ( client side callback for when you input text, actual client side verification of the whole name + server side verification of the name ).
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”