Some "MetalStorm" Spell / Ability Concepts

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Some "MetalStorm" Spell / Ability Concepts

Post by Nefarius » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:23 pm

This list features some spells and abilities that can be obtained by the player, this usually does not refer to any specific thing, but generall to things you can expect from abilities and spells.

All-New Homeing Missile Code
Spell-independant homeing missiles, that is, in vanilla you can't really do much with the real (not fake) homeing missiles like Bone Spirit since they utilize all functions except for the SrvdmgFunc and SkillStartFunc. (fake homing missile = chain lightning et al.) so no 'Teeth of Homing Missiles'. I've solved this problem by adding my own code to do this the proper way. This means there will be homing missiles with trails, collision effects (think about homing Immolation Arrow-ish things), Homeing Teeth-ish stuff (etc) ;) --- fresh from the coding mill

Self-Upgrading Missiles
In D2 there are useless pre-requisit skills, like in the Ice Bolt -> Ice Blast -> Glacial Spike family. The way metalstorm handles spells like this is a bit different. For example at low level the spell may fire a ice bolt, but the missile changes with increasing slvl, so when it is at mid level it may fire a Ice Blast and at high level a Glacial Spike.

Prayers / Blesses
Some spells that are of sprititual nature will bestow random party members depending on certain criteria. For example Prayer in MetalStorm concept is not an aura but a castable healing spell, it will heal the most injured player in the party (and also cures that player if needed). This is independant of the act / level people are in.

Spell-Generated Items
Many spells will create temporary items for you to use. These items cannot be sold, traded, dropped, removed (if you die the item is destroyed), repaired and aren't saved (and in some cases will likely vanish after a specific amount of time elapsed). For example a spell like "Magic Armor" creates a magic armor if the player has non equipped, these items are generally requirement-less and have much higher base stats then what is generally found (for a armor like this the ac would depend on slvl). With the throwback that it lacks magic modifiers. In the case of Magic Armor discussed here, the armor has the advantage that mages can wear it, without being unable to cast spells (normal heavy armor has this side effect).

Random-Effects
Some projectiles will have random effects, think about it like a missile that depending on sLvl recieves additional effects to its pool, so at lvl 1 it may only scare monsters, at lvl 5-10 it may get things such as confuse and taunt effects, and later things like petrify and instant death (of weak things). And also teleport the target to random places.

New Minion Concept
There will be spells that allow you to turn minions into time bombs and similar things (or sacrifice one minion for another, aka minion x can only be cast utilizing minion y, which in term gets killed), as well as passing commands to them and generally they will have a smarter AI (either defensive, protecting the character or offensive - etc)

New Anim Sequences and Retaliation
Many spells have sequences specifically created for them (same applies to melee abilities), so expect combo moves and stuff like this ;) --- Retaliation is a totally new concept in sorts, in vanilla skills like DEA are a form of passive-retaliation to attacks, that just prevents you from getting hit. In 'MetalStorm' there (already) is a retaliation ability which will kick the living daylight out of whatever struck you successfully (however you have to actually get hit and take damage for it to trigger).

Thats that, the above is by far not complete, just some things of the top of my head ;)
Last edited by Nefarius on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:41 am

New Anim Sequences and Retaliation
Many spells have sequences specifically created for them (same applies to melee abilities), so expect combo moves and stuff like this icon_wink.gif --- Retaliation is a totally new concept in sorts, in vanilla skills like DEA are a form of passive-retaliation to attacks, that just prevents you from getting hit. In 'MetalStorm' there (already) is a retaliation ability which will kick the living daylight out of whatever struck you successfully (however you have to actually get hit and take damage for it to trigger).
Median has a Retaliate skill which requires you to get hit before the effects of the melee skill kick in... so not totally a new concept. :twisted:
Self-Upgrading Missiles
Nice! A good reason to max out different skills other than synergies and/or backup skills. :)
Random-Effects
Some projectiles will have random effects, think about it like a missile that depending on sLvl recieves additional effects to its pool, so at lvl 1 it may only scare monsters, at lvl 5-10 it may get things such as confuse and taunt effects, and later things like petrify and instant death (of weak things). And also teleport the target to random places.
Are the effects truly random, or is it just that different skills get different effects at different levels?
Spell-Generated Items
Sweet... Also very what a unique concept!
This in addition to normally dropped items, crafted, runewords, possibly the shrine-generated items that were suggested before, plus possibly other things I'm sure = so many choices. :)
Thats that, the above is by far not complete, just some things of the top of my head ;)
What a tease. :twisted: ;)

Very good job though, you make my mouth water for this upcoming mod with each new post! :D

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: Some "MetalStorm" Spell / Ability Concepts

Post by Nefarius » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am

Median has a Retaliate skill which requires you to get hit before the effects of the melee skill kick in... so not totally a new concept.
This isn't an 'effect' activated on another skill, this is an actual attack your character performs automatically if it gets hit, no further action required on your part ;), this is somewhat like Chilling Armor, just that it works on a whole different way (it's a passive skill ;))

Nice! A good reason to max out different skills other than synergies and/or backup skills.
Just that spells levels aren't handled the way they are in vanilla ;) so you don't directly max a spell, this happens through specialization in a specific branch.

Are the effects truly random, or is it just that different skills get different effects at different levels?
The effects on a given skill are random, think about teeth and each tooth casting a different curse on the target it hits. But of course, you could get a roll where each tooth does the same thing too, it's random.
Last edited by Nefarius on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:35 am

Just that spells levels aren't handled the way they are in vanilla :) so you don't directly max a spell, this happens through specialization in a specific branch.
Silly me, thinking anything was still like regular D2. :P
The effects on a given skill are random, think about teeth and each tooth casting a different curse on the target it hits. But of course, you could get a roll where each tooth does the same thing too, it's random.
Woah. Cool. :D

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:29 am

[quote=Nefarius";p="369369"]
this happens through specialization in a specific branch.
[/quote]

So this means most characters people make in this restructured Diablo II you're creating won't need to be one-trick ponies in terms of learned skills and spells like in vanilla, right?

So, essentially, instead of allocating all points into just one or two spells or skills and using just that limited set all the time, the player will actually be able to learn (while allocating points into a "mastery", instead of the skills/spells themselves) a variety of different skills and/or spells for different situations (just like any sensible person would in real-life). Being a one-trick pony never cuts it in RL, so why should it in Diablo II? That never made sense to me... :(

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm

So this means most characters people make in this restructured Diablo II you're creating won't need to be one-trick ponies in terms of learned skills and spells like in vanilla, right?
Yes, the way this will work is nothing like vanilla, think about the character layout found in infinity engine games, just taylored towards a Hack n' Slash game like D2 (its in essence a totally different game).

So, essentially, instead of allocating all points into just one or two spells or skills and using just that limited set all the time, the player will actually be able to learn (while allocating points into a "mastery", instead of the skills/spells themselves) a variety of different skills and/or spells for different situations (just like any sensible person would in real-life). Being a one-trick pony never cuts it in RL, so why should it in Diablo II? That never made sense to me...
It goes as far as that the way individual types of abilities are gained varies within MetalStorm itself, but revealing more at this point is going to be counterproductive.

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 am

Once MetalStorm comes out (will this be the acutal title of this finished product?), I'm gonna build myself a battlemage, just like I did in Morrowind (D2 never catered to unusual character types... :cry: )

EDIT: Words cannot express how excited I am for this totally different approach to the skill/spell system (that derelict thing blizzard put there simply didn't suffice for me or about 95% of the people who played D2 anyway...)
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Mon May 19, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Mon May 19, 2008 11:27 am

(will this be the acutal title of this finished product?)
"MetalStorm" is just a code name for the time being (hence the double-quotes most of the time :)) [*spoiler*although, there is a spell called like that*spoiler*]

Once MetalStorm comes out, I'm gonna build myself a battlemage, just like I did in Morrowind (D2 never catered to unusual character types...)
EDIT: Words cannot express how excited I am for this totally different approach to the skill/spell system (that derelict thing blizzard put there simply didn't suffice for me or about 95% of the people who played D2 anyway...)

Builds like this are certainly going to be very viable in "MetalStorm". I would like to talk about the actual layout of how stuff is meant to be, but me and the other devs agreed not to do this ;). What I can reveal ofc is that it is already all layed out, and most of the code for it is in place in one way or another :) (such as the ability to save any spell in the D2S, template tree independant etc).

I'm not a great fan of that template-character layout found in D2 and some of the things it leads to (heck even D1 allowed for FAR more customization on characters), though they had some valid reasons for doing it the way they did in D2 (as evident from some very early interviews you can find via archive.org).

Especially annoying because it leads to issues when some stuff is added to the template trees in the last moments of development which ends like Grim Ward that was not meant to be there initially and it can be felt. (Funny also when all of an initial subtree gets removed and the name of the tree remains the same Summoning and Controlling ;) [controlling ofc hinting at the abandoned Mind Control abilities]

If you subtract the 10-15 or so hours it takes to do the actual quests (if you are really playing and not rushing past everything) from vanilla D2, you are left with grind, more grind and yet more grind after that (items, exp, items, exp, exp, items and so on foreverandever amen). It gets painfully obvious because you cannot really burst out of the template (and because of 27 quests for a modern game being WAAAAAY too few, considering most of them are just "go kill x to get y").

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Nefarius";p="388504" wrote: "MetalStorm" is just a code name for the time being (hence the double-quotes most of the time :)) [*spoiler*although, there is a spell called like that*spoiler*]
In that case, you could probably set up a poll so that users can vote for what title your mod would go best with (out of the names you've generated from your brainstorming)

Here's some ideas to go on, if you are in need of them:

"The Unofficial Diablo II Patch"
"Diablo II Unlimited"
"Diablo II Reincarnation"
"Diablo II: The Director's Cut"
"Diablo II Infinity Edition" (referring the Baldur's Gate engine here...)
"Diablo II Reanimated"

That's all I can think up for now. I'm quite sure you can come up with something crazier for a title, knowing your track record... ;)
<snip> and because of 27 quests for a modern game being WAAAAAY too few, considering most of them are just "go kill x to get y"
...and, let's not forget, just five linear-as-hell acts is WAAAAAAAY too short for any game nowadays (games like Morrowind and Baldur's Gate had about 500 "acts" depending on how you approached them... :cool: )

EDIT (5/19/2008 8:48 PM US Eastern Time): This is not to say I want to see a real sixth act in the game (since you already said in one of your posts that this is *not* to be expected). I'm quite sure that expanding the five acts already in the game would definitely make the game sufficiently long for today's standards. Oh, yes: I'm sure it would be especially cool if you could make Act IV just as big and long as the other acts: making it exactly as per Blizzard's original intent (it was blatantly evident that Blizzard intended more for the act, especially from the absence of the in-game scene where the hero smashes Diablo's (and later, Baal's) soulstone(s). Then again, that omission was probably intentional, since Blizzard was planning a sequel, after all... :D )
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Tue May 20, 2008 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Tue May 20, 2008 4:39 am

Act IV should to be expanded to have (at least) the same number of quests as the other acts, if possible....

And knowing you, of course it is... ;)

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Tue May 20, 2008 5:03 am

Act IV should to be expanded to have (at least) the same number of quests as the other acts, if possible....
I'm sure it would be especially cool if you could make Act IV just as big and long as the other acts.
The way me and Vendanna have planned the quest layout so far, there will be around 40-50 quests per "act" tied to the plot (thus not accounting for other missions, tasks and quests that will be available). The game will be divideable into two major parts, the mortal plane and the hell dimension. You can progress through much of the mortal plane at your own pace, but certain events that (you) trigger mean you have to finish a certain part before you can continue exploring (wouldn't make sense if you just walk out of a city being held hostage ;)), how exactly you end up in the hell dimension (per se, the climax of the game) is ofc top secret and will not be posted atm :twisted:. The final bosses you face are _not_ Diablo, Mephisto and Bhaal though.
Last edited by Nefarius on Tue May 20, 2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Tue May 20, 2008 11:09 am

Is it like Median where they are still the Act Bosses but then you have to backtrack to fight the other bosses in the uberquests, or did you change the code so that you somehow go past Baal (i.e. expend the levels in the act) and continue on to the final boss?

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Tue May 20, 2008 11:35 am

The second option of course ;) the code formerly "enforcing teh linear path" has been removed from the game.

(In fact you can chose the difficulty level on the char select screen, no matter what you've beaten before :) it's thus just that, a difficulty level now and not a "lets make the game seam longer by forcing the user to play the same thing three times in a row to beat it for good")

The way things are layed out is that:
Act 1, Act 2, Act 3 and Act 5 (the vanilla acts) form a single big realm you can travel within, each will have its unique plot, you can complete them in any order (all have easy, medium and hard quests in them, so generally the deeper you explore into each of the four lands the harder it gets).

The vanilla Act 4, is the actual cimplax of the game, you can only go there when: (I won't accidently say it here), its basically totally independant of the rest and will summarize the main plot (which is going to be weaved into the four plot lines, but not directly connected).

Theoretically (notice: this has nothing to do with the storyline me and Vendanna are going to create, it's just an example to explain the setup a bit better), say you need to earn 1 billion gold to travel to Act 4, you'd have to obtain it by earning it in Acts 1/2/3/5, how, when and it what order, doesn't matter.

allas
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Paladin

Post by allas » Tue May 20, 2008 12:02 pm

The vanilla Act 4, is the actual cimplax of the game, you can only go there when: (I won't accidently say it here), its basically totally independant of the rest and will summarize the main plot (which is going to be weaved into the four plot lines, but not directly connected).
When will you send some info like that? :)

If you need tester one day, i will for sure! :D

Wolvorine42
Paladin

Post by Wolvorine42 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Me, I'm just dying to see what you do with some of the things I provided you with. Not that you ever got back to me on some of the things you asked me for (which is good, I guess, given that since you never got back to me, I don't think I ever officially "finished" them).
The Multis especially, I'm dying to see. I don't need to spoil that, you know what I mean.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed May 21, 2008 7:43 pm

[quote=Wolvorine42";p="388763"]Not that you ever got back to me on some of the things you asked me for (which is good, I guess, given that since you never got back to me, I don't think I ever officially "finished" them).[/quote]

Oh, I didn't forget about those things, as you can guess from the delays also in updates on this board, the past month has been more then busy over here (and it still is, just having some time now to work on things again). I'll look over the messages you and others left me here and elsewhere once I get around to it.
Last edited by Nefarius on Wed May 21, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:11 pm

If you need tester one day, i will for sure!
I second that. This mod will be exciting to playtest even if it's just in alpha or beta stage because it's just that much different from anything else ever attempted... :)

Wolvorine42
Paladin

Post by Wolvorine42 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:52 pm

[quote=Nefarius";p="388774"][quote=Wolvorine42";p="388763"]Not that you ever got back to me on some of the things you asked me for (which is good, I guess, given that since you never got back to me, I don't think I ever officially "finished" them).[/quote]

Oh, I didn't forget about those things, as you can guess from the delays also in updates on this board, the past month has been more then busy over here (and it still is, just having some time now to work on things again). I'll look over the messages you and others left me here and elsewhere once I get around to it.[/quote]
Well, you've still got my AMSN contact, I presume, you you can always msg when you have more than a fwe minutes to spare. I figured the fact that you've been mostly gone, no PMs here, no AMSN msges and all, that things are pretty for you. I don't even *remember* what all it was, but I know I've got a dir full of a mish-mash of crap. :)

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”