Eye-Candy, Screens & Movies (20th June) - 49 new things!

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

100%

Total votes: 1

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12 am

Do you think you could add a side quest which you could find a Herb that would add toxic damage to a weapon? ;) Oh. I remember you saying that some of the bosses will have voice overs, do you need any voice acting? I've done some previous work in Oblivion and Morrowind. Just a thought. ;)

Are you planning to keep the same look of the acts? (Well I know your adding more and what not..) As in the grassy / dark look of ACT 1? Or are you going to make it so there completely different and a new storyline driven?
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward, art thou also dead - - dead to the World, to Heaven, and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself. - Edger Allan Poe

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:44 am

What a barrage of nice screenshots!

Can the items show their item level in their stats? :)
Last edited by DemonicAngel on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:35 pm

Necro Archers
Raise Skeleton has a chance to summon archers randomly (instead of only melee variants).

I just noticed in this screenshot there is a TON of shrines near you. Lol. Is that what its going to be like in the final version?
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward, art thou also dead - - dead to the World, to Heaven, and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself. - Edger Allan Poe

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: New Eye-Candy/Screens/Movies (new screens: 10th June, 20

Post by Nefarius » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Are you planning to keep the same look of the acts? (Well I know your adding more and what not..) As in the grassy / dark look of ACT 1? Or are you going to make it so there completely different and a new storyline driven?
The way the acts are will be expanded with new additions and improvements to the atmosphere (better light effects, more environment stuff, ambient sounds etc, in some levels the light intensity changes around in realtime etc). There will be new additions and changes to existing tilesets were necessary. One change is that many things will be interactive, ie. there are a ton of things that will be possible to click on and operate, search through (things that in vanilla are mere tile graphics like those mushrooms in act1).

Also I'll keep your voice acting offer in mind.

Can the items show their item level in their stats?
Yeah, not particularly difficult to code, but it wont have near as much significance in our item system. (going with the general "more like an RPG", the items will use a tier system of base to +10) [but thats really the most im going to say about the item system].

I just noticed in this screenshot there is a TON of shrines near you. Lol. Is that what its going to be like in the final version?
Of course not, the level is just set to spawn nothing else for testing purposes.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Re: New Eye-Candy/Screens/Movies (new screens: 10th June, 20

Post by Jakebow » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:13 am

Nefarius";p="391390" wrote:
The way the acts are will be expanded with new additions and improvements to the atmosphere (better light effects, more environment stuff, ambient sounds etc, in some levels the light intensity changes around in realtime etc). There will be new additions and changes to existing tilesets were necessary. One change is that many things will be interactive, ie. there are a ton of things that will be possible to click on and operate, search through (things that in vanilla are mere tile graphics like those mushrooms in act1).

Also I'll keep your voice acting offer in mind.

Can the items show their item level in their stats?
Yeah, not particularly difficult to code, but it wont have near as much significance in our item system. (going with the general "more like an RPG", the items will use a tier system of base to +10) [but thats really the most im going to say about the item system].

Of course not, the level is just set to spawn nothing else for testing purposes.
Ooh. Nice! I like the idea of the more clickable things in the enviroment. Adds more depth to the game. Also; (Sorry if I suggest to many things. ><) I was thinking earlier today and noticed something. Have you ever wondered how your stash moves with you into another act? Would it be possible to have an NPC that stood near your Stash; maybe a few side quests that would be the 'transporter' of goods? I know the ACT1 NPC would brings you to ACT II kind of 'could' do that sort of thing, but I think it would add a lot of depth into the game itself if there was a reason for it.

I looked through the screenshots again eariler; and noticed you had made it so Archers can spawn through the use of the summon spell for necromancers. Do you think it would be possible too make that a seperate summon? Perhaps between Skels and Mages? (Gradually making them into a more powerful counterpart.) Just a few thoughts.

About the voice acting thing, thats awesome. If you need to get ahold of me usually the best bet would be to Email me. JCarlsgaard@Gmail.com I check the keep daily, but sometimes i miss the whole, "New Private Message" Deal.

Destrictor

Post by Destrictor » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:56 pm

A question: i dont know if this'll be possible, but would you be able to add some basic macro system? like being able to switch some pieces of armor fast, like the basic weapon switch now, but only with the armor pieces still inside the inventory? that'd be really cool

Eisenfaust86

Re: New Eye-Candy/Screens/Movies (new screens: 16th June, 20

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 am

Instantly kills trolls
More forums should do exactly that, I'd say... :twisted:

EDIT:
Burn Damage, most people know the horrible overlay blizzard used for this unused effect in vanilla. This is how it looks now: http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... 350cl9.jpg comes complete with billowing smoke
Will there be a method for protecting against burn damage? After all, you DID say that there is a way to protect against just about anything... ;)
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: New Eye-Candy/Screens/Movies (new screens: 17th June, 20

Post by Nefarius » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 am

Yes, fire resistance :) (anything effecting fire damage also effects burn). Though theres other ways to also reduce the burn length itself. Among others if you are under the effect of a Fire Resist Shrine / Cold Resist Shrine it prevents you from being burned / chilled or frozen.

Freeze is resisted via cold resist like normal cold damage is btw.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:46 am

Anyway, I am quite curious to know if it would be possible to implement these concepts in your Metalstorm engine:

1.) All of the items in Vanilla D2 had requirments of strength and dexterity, but none attached to intelligence (energy). I remember another action RPG that had items requiring high intelligence to use, so if possible, you could tip the scales somewhat for casters so that some of the new items will require high intelligence scores, depending on what they are (or maybe even high score requirements in vitality, which were also absent from vanilla D2).

2.) A certain action RPG (can't remember its name) also featured staves that fired magical projectiles from them when used with normal attack (these should have intelligence requirements to prevent non-casters from reaping their bonuses). In that particular game, damage done by them was based on intelligence scores. These staves could potentially be useful for casters running low on mana and don't want to get in melee range of the enemy. ;)

Please let me know what you think of these ideas, as I'd be interested in what you have to say.

EDIT: Oh yes, the staves should probably have some sort of finite energy source that acts as the staves' equivalent of a bow's arrows.
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:08 am

1.) All of the items in Vanilla D2 had requirments of strength and dexterity, but none attached to intelligence (energy). I remember another action RPG that had items requiring high intelligence to use, so if possible, you could tip the scales somewhat for casters so that some of the new items will require high intelligence scores, depending on what they are (or maybe even high score requirements in vitality, which were also absent from vanilla D2).
The entire vanilla requirements code is entirely revoked, it consist entirely of my own work. So its easy to add any sort of requirements to the game. (Yes multiple-class allowance or class exclusion included). Intelligence (aka the vanilla D2-energy) plays an important role now, its both going to be a requirement for learning certain magic (for mages), but is also used as a way for them to increase damage. Reading certain books has intelligence requirements etc. Also stuff like the borked mana regeneration formula from vanilla are now using intelligence instead of maximum mana, as to make +% mana equipment less exploitative (you can run dry even with 20K base mana if you have low energy, tested it yesterday :)).

The regeneration formula now being: (Intelligence * RaceRecoveryFactor / 100) mana per second. (The race recovery factor is a value that varies between between 50-100 at present).

---
2.) A certain action RPG (can't remember its name) also featured staves that fired magical projectiles from them when used with normal attack (these should have intelligence requirements to prevent non-casters from reaping their bonuses). In that particular game, damage done by them was based on intelligence scores. These staves could potentially be useful for casters running low on mana and don't want to get in melee range of the enemy.
This is along the lines of what we plan for Wands, wands aren't what they are in D2, but more what they are in BG series of games. Allowing you to cast spells, the power of the launched spells (similar to spells launched from scrolls) is based on the users intelligence.

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 am

I've wondered, would it be possible to make a "Knock Down" Effect? Resulting in the foe going into it's slain animation, but then standing back up after a few seconds? (Based on skill/spell/effect..) this could always go with the Character as well. Dsiabling the foes/and your attacks? ;)

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 am

There will be such an effect associated with some monsters like Vampyres and Trolls that can be "terminated" only by specific weapons/damage types [these are two classical examples, there will likely be a bunch of other things like this], they will stand up again after a while of being "slain" (similar to the reanimated hordes of vanilla).

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:39 am

Ooh. Nifty. "Acid Arrow" via "BG anyone?
I'm really excited for those new screenshots as well, there amazing. Will you be doing more Diablo 1 uniques, and making them with the actual intentions? I remember thinking about how the Gem Begs, and other things would be a useful addon to a mod. Would require coding, (Like your doing) basicly following the function of Bag Of Holding to have some additional space to store things. Besides the cube of course.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:55 am

Ooh. Nifty. "Acid Arrow" via "BG anyone?
Hehe, this is the fate of several former "bow skills" like Cold Arrow/Fire Arrow/Exploding Arrow (etc), you can buy these as ammo now (yep, even Freezing and Immolation Arrow -- just later on in the game, and for a hefty price). This is already implemented, I may take a screenshot of these when I get around to it. (Ammo determines what you can/cannot fire). The ammo type of a quiver is tied to the base item and is specified in misc.txt (its linked the same way javelins recieve their missile type via weapons.txt) ;), so we can add ammo firing pretty much any missile in the game without adding extra stat lookup-related overhead.

---
Will you be doing more Diablo 1 uniques, and making them with the actual intentions?
More then likely, also the D2 unique items that are kept (some of them are such an assemble of random stats that I refuse to keep them anywhere near me, I have my principles :P), will be altered, ie, they will be different, sometimes more related to their names (etc), sometimes have new unique gfx. Though, you will be able to find a Stone of Jordan in MetalStorm, it will not be anything like the same ring in vanilla. [ there will ofc also be a load of new unique items added on top ]. (everything is being redone from scratch even if it has the same name).

---
I remember thinking about how the Gem Begs, and other things would be a useful addon to a mod. Would require coding, (Like your doing) basicly following the function of Bag Of Holding to have some additional space to store things. Besides the cube of course.
The idea of Gem Bags, Ammo Belts, Potion Cases (etc) has come up during development, and it will likely be implemented in one way or another (not via cube recipes obviously), this is mostly GUI work though so a definitive yes/no on this will have to wait for a very very long time.

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:12 am

Well what I meant was, in cube style. Like an openable container. Thats pretty sweet about the ammo types though, i've always wondered why they didn't do that before. Are you thinking about adding new Auras of the like? Like perhaps an aura that could lower shop costs? (Found on a item or something?) Pitty you couldn't make a system where Personality or Charm type situtation came in to effect. ;)

Have you ever played an rpg by the name of Titan Quest? It's basically a D2 clone -- based in Greek Myth however. Anyway, theres a system in the game where you use relic shards. Usually there with about 1 or 2 base stats. (+FIre Damage, +Speed) the catch is there applied to an item by right clicking and forging them onto the item. Another catch is, you need more then one on one item. Usually like, 5 or so. Each time ones applied it will add more bonuses, and eventually when you collect enough transforming the item into a relic.

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:01 pm

its both going to be a requirement for learning certain magic (for mages), but is also used as a way for them to increase damage.
Dunno why Blizzard didn't do this in the first place, since they already had this working in D1 (plus it probably would have been simple to implement, even with the system they already had in D2). Skill synergies suck! ("thanks", Blizzard! :twisted: ) This new system will definitely rule!
Hehe, this is the fate of several former "bow skills" like Cold Arrow/Fire Arrow/Exploding Arrow (etc), you can buy these as ammo now (yep, even Freezing and Immolation Arrow -- just later on in the game, and for a hefty price).
8-O :mrgreen: :jump: (speechless)
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:03 pm

I do agree they should of done it from the beginning, but in some ways I really liked SOME of the Synergies. Some of them made sence. Others, not so much. Everyday that passes I wish this mod was out. ^_^" But honestly, i'd rather teh developers take there time. Makes it more worth while in the end, and thats all that matters. :D

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:14 pm

The skill synergies were not ALL bad, but the way Blizzard overused them just led to confusion about setting up my skill configurations (due to this, replayability was pretty much rock-bottom in vanilla due to most possible builds not being viable for the game among other things that simply weren't done right (Leather Armor of the Jackal from HELL Diablo again? "Thanks again", Blizzard! :x )).

EDIT: One question for you, Nefarius. How will the Lower Resist curse work in your mod? Will it lower all the magical resistances of enemies (including Acid and Negative Plane) or will there be a separate curse for lowering Acid and Negative Plane Resistances?
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: New Eye-Candy/Screens/Movies (new screens: 20th June, 20

Post by Nefarius » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:58 am

Pitty you couldn't make a system where Personality or Charm type situtation came in to effect.
Wait and see, wait and see ;)

the catch is there applied to an item by right clicking and forging them onto the item.
This is how the oils work.

EDIT: One question for you, Nefarius. How will the Lower Resist curse work in your mod? Will it lower all the magical resistances of enemies (including Acid and Negative Plane) or will there be a separate curse for lowering Acid and Negative Plane Resistances?
While the curse code has been rewritten entirely, it hasen't been majorly changed yet, but there are several things in store here. An example being the way we intend to change Amplify Damage, the spell desc says it amplifies the damage the target takes in, but in reality only adds -50% physical resistance to the unit. The changed version will actually amplify the damage intake (of all direct damage types), however it will not alter the units resistances, as a result it cannot be used to breach barriers. (It is important to note that many monsters spawn with curse resistance and some with immunity to all curse). Lower Resist will in the future work by reducing the units maximum resistances, instead of knocking them into negative resistance range (this will not work against naturally immune* units)

* A naturally immune unit is one with a elemental affinity, ie a Fire Elemental cannot be damaged by fire, thus the curse will have no effect on their fire resistance.
Last edited by Nefarius on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:22 am

Do those new arrow types mean that the skills they are based off will be replaced? Or what will happen to those skills? Won't they be redundant?

(I'm all for all brand new skills in mods anyway... :P)

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:37 am

The only trouble with new skills is that there usually really hard to balance. :/

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Jakebow";p="392454" wrote:The only trouble with new skills is that there usually really hard to balance. :/
I'm sure Nef could handle it! :mrgreen:

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:36 pm

DemonicAngel";p="392490" wrote:
Jakebow";p="392454" wrote:The only trouble with new skills is that there usually really hard to balance. :/
I'm sure Nef could handle it! :mrgreen:
He is right. Adding new stuff (include skills) really push the balance. There is alot of thing's nef showed that can be a gamebreaker. It doesn't matter how much you think as modder. There will always be someone who is more clever than you and think up combinations that become superior everything else :)

The only way to get it right balanced. Is to actually test it :)

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Well i'm sure when the time comes there will be plenty of testing, but like I said i've seen numerous mods struggleing over the fact that a lot of there skills are too, "Uber" and allow users to proceed through the game untouched. Of course, this mod has things that will also affect the player in a negative way more severely then any other mod out there at this point. Cursed items, Fear, etc.. so perhaps it would be possible. Right now though, I think we'll just wait and see. ;)

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:26 am

Everything looks top notch! I love that you moved Natalya to Act IV - not much happens at the fortress ;)

The Disintegrate effect is also very cool. The animation looks real professional :D

Keep up the good work, Nef!

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”