Key Features (some spoilers, just a rundown in general)

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Key Features (some spoilers, just a rundown in general)

Post by Nefarius » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:32 pm

This topic is just a list to drool over. Everything included here is already coded in its finalt state and/or known to be possible. Some of this was done only via txt editing, most of it wasen't though (obviously).

A.) Large amounts of the important game code (code relevant to gameplay) was rewritten from scratch (this is about 1/3 rd of the D2 engine if we go about functionality and influence of this code on how the game works). This includes:

1.) All known major bugs in the D2 engine have been fixed, there are still a load of unknown minor bugs, but I'm speaking about bugs that are generally talked about (FE bug, see the topic I made in general discussion about D2 bugs).

2.) Most major skill functions (summons, aurae, curses)

3.) Large parts of the level generation (much work still needed here, but this is comparebly easy, although convulged).

4.) Almost all AI code, the engine now supports scripted AI and has a way more efficient target picking mechanism.

5.) Large parts of the monster related code.

6.) Almost every single object related function in the game.

7.) Almost the entire combat and damage related code.

8.) The code responsible for almost every single stat in the game.

9.) Item and Treasureclass generation has been replaced.

10.) The majority of the NPC related code.

11.) Large amounts of the character related code.

12.) A complete side quest engine with support for 2048 individual quests per difficulty. (Can be expanded on the fly to any limit, but we kept it at 2048 for tcp/ip traffic stuff not taking too long).

13.) All 1024 level slots functional, rather then just the first 256

--------------------

B.) From the above the features below are taken in whole or in part.

1.) Act independant movement, that is, you can go to any act at any time. Ofc there are storyline related restrictions here, but there is no need to 'do everything here and then go there'.

2.) Quests that span over multiple acts and timelines (vanilla difficulties will be changed to timelines / alternate realities) --- while most will be the same per difficulty, this only applies to the main flow of the game --- the last and final battle however can only be done on 'hell'

3.) Totally different spell, skill and character systems --- these bear no resemblence to D2, most of this is somewhat along the lines of the infinity engine games.

4.) The item system is rather different from D2 (I say rather because I didn't feel everything has to be replaced here, it has many good aspects to it). However there is a great reduction in grind, that is, you'll easily find good equipment and don't have to waste a lifespan to find it. Rare items are back to their original glory from v1.00-v1.06. Note that many of the items generally overpowered in v1.11x are going to remain there, with minor tweaks, but there is no need to nerf them in this new environment. Keep in mind that rare items will usually exceed these however in terms of general useability. There are affixes spawning only on rare items now (and so on and so forth).

5.) A crapload of new in-game chat commands and keyboard keys and a ini to toggle many settings, you will be able to customize a fair bit of stuff, I don't like forcing a static game on people. There will always be those who complain things are too hard to too easy, this allows you to customize many aspects of the difficulty (the harshness of the 'rules'). Some sidequests and other things are only available on very high difficulty however.

6.) Many new Npcs and also a load of new vendors, in multiple towns per 'act', also Npcs will react more to your advance in the game and to your reputation in general.

7.) Spells and skills are available to everyone equally, there are now class restrictions like in the D2 system, what you can and can't use depends on your subclass not class. There are also many skills using entirely new code never seen before in D2.

8.) General increase in difficulty and need for strategy. Everything is generally a lot harder, the environment is as harsh as can be. Difficulty and harshness however comes in many forms and does not mean you'll be facing the proverbial x8 crap everywhere.

9.) Along the previous lines, the AI is smarter, a lot smarter at times, it's lean, it's mean, it will play tricks on you, stab you in the back and then laugh in your face. Smarter units will chose the most efficient attack against your character beware.

10.) Among the side quests and also main quests, we plan to have more then one way to beat them in most cases. However unlike vanilla you can also fail quests (without a chance for a rematch, how is this role playing if you can repeat the same thing until it works, that never made any sense).

11.) Loads of other stuff I forgot to write.

-------------------

C.) Stuff that may make it in, if there is enough interest and time on our part.

1.) There may be skin-able GUI, it's not hard to make D2 load BMP or GIF files, so no need to convert it to DC6 files on the user part.

2.) Integrated MP3 Player, we won't bother anyone to download the extra music that will be added to the game by metalstorm, this is a standalone extension of the main project. Now if we get the time to, we may integrate a MP3 player configureable via the INI to play whatever you like.

3.) New entry, me and Joel had the idea to convert the D2 GUI to parsed XML so it can be modified and expanded without bothering with much extra code when new GUI stuff is added.

D.) General policy on nerfing

I hate to have to nerf things and I dislike nerfing approach taken in general (see Ultimate Fixer for my oppinion on blizz nerfs), it's a bad excuse for not testing at the start and then using then steamroller approach in panic. The only things that will be nerfed in general are those that are really broken (overpowered due to bugs or unintentional side effects of other things). Everyone can use everything, this makes nerfing a lot less mandatory here then in a D2-ish environment anyway. Some things are just stronger then others, it's in the nature of things. If something turns out broken beyond repair it will be permanently removed, no questions asked, no mercy, complaints should be directed to dev/nul. Amen.

E.) Code Statistics

Code: Select all

D2Functions.cpp	2742
MpqLoad.cpp	30
NefexLib.cpp	591
Patches.cpp	3043
PseudoImports.cpp	660
Log.cpp	160
Modules.cpp	32
Nefex.cpp	402
ConfigFiles.cpp	159
Toggles.cpp	130
Items.cpp	2591
TreasureClass.cpp	591
Objects.cpp	1423
ObjSpawn.cpp	328
Shrines.cpp	1012
Characters.cpp	1152
PlayerCount.cpp	128
PlayerList.cpp	166
AiFuncs.cpp	1287
AiSeq.cpp	1440
AiTarget.cpp	280
MonAi.cpp	401
MonMode.cpp	174
Bosses.cpp	345
BossMods.cpp	1942
Monsters.cpp	1255
Missiles.cpp	833
NpcDialogs.cpp	1373
Npcs.cpp	337
Stores.cpp	414
Combat.cpp	853
Damage.cpp	2914
Speed.cpp	498
Stats.cpp	1935
Callback.cpp	134
QuestMeta.cpp	774
Quests.cpp	234
Chat.cpp	799
NetCode.cpp	254
Common.cpp	2457
Randomizer.cpp	458
Strings.cpp	75
NewTables.cpp	1644
Dungeon.cpp	1373
ExtLevel.cpp	37
Skills.cpp	2267
Automap.cpp	251
ClientEffects.cpp	926
FrontEnd.cpp	487
KeyboardHooks.cpp	53
MonDesc.cpp	161
SkillTrees.cpp	256
*.h, *.def	12445

Sum:	56706

F.) Latest Stuff (not gameplay related)

1.) Made D2 save screenshots as PNG
2.) Support for >65K shared palshift (palshift accessable from any token)
3.) Ability to load 4 custom TBL files

G.) Latest Stuff (Gameplay related)

1.) Fear effecting the player
2.) Amout 500+ more lines of vanilla code replaced
3.) Durability lost when hit by missile attacks
Last edited by Nefarius on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:25 pm

All of the changes look awesome. I'm amazed at the amount of stuff you can do with D2 to make the game different/better. :mrgreen:

I see a lot of "new" or "replaced"... I hope it is still enough like D2 to appeal to us mod players! :P
Last edited by DemonicAngel on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Re: Key Features (some spoilers, just a rundown in general)

Post by Nefarius » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:45 pm

Is the "we" used a couple times in this post a "royal we", or did you have help on this project?
Check out the other sticky thread. The concept and original ideas, storyline, code work, twisted and tasteless humor and generally weird ideas are mine, other ideas have come from the rest of the team. Also the project is currently under code development, so the other team members don't have a really active role in the development yet other then in internal discussions.

The work on the project has been split into several segments. The current segment (the code stuff, has been under development way before v1.11b, in fact since very late 2004, long before anything was known about it outside of a very selected circle) and this part is now finally nearing completion, thats pretty much why I've been putting up drool-pics and leaked some info (albeit it was never my intention to turn that original thread into a forum, that pretty much came by itself).

The segments in general are:

1.) concept work
2.) taking out the trash (bugs, useless stuff, inefficient stuff)

3.) expanding the engine
4.) add actual content
5.) eye and ear candy
6.) internal testing and polishing
6a.) if applicable, external testing
7.) gamma

The color coding should be clear enough ;)

---
I see a lot of "new" or "replaced"... I hope it is still enough like D2 to appeal to us mod players!
There will be enough of the old stuff, most of the things are still there, usually in a different concept though and in many cases slightly altered (like on my past-time pre v1.10 projects). The new stuff is whats on top of the old stuff. Also replaced in many of the above sections means I've entirely thrown out the blizzard code and replaced it with my own, the code doesn't necessarily behave much differently. However it was replaced anyway just so that I have total control over what it does and can expand it when needed without later having to replace 50% of the game code because something else is causing a tiny glitch. All of the internal formulae are expanding and made more RPG-ish in general. But attacker/defender ofc still uses AR and AC etc. This is a mix of D2, D1, Infinity Engine and Total Insanity
Last edited by Nefarius on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:53 am

There will be enough of the old stuff, most of the things are still there, usually in a different concept though and in many cases slightly altered (like on my past-time pre v1.10 projects). The new stuff is whats on top of the old stuff. Also replaced in many of the above sections means I've entirely thrown out the blizzard code and replaced it with my own, the code doesn't necessarily behave much differently. However it was replaced anyway just so that I have total control over what it does and can expand it when needed without later having to replace 50% of the game code because something else is causing a tiny glitch. All of the internal formulae are expanding and made more RPG-ish in general. But attacker/defender ofc still uses AR and AC etc. This is a mix of D2, D1, Infinity Engine and Total Insanity
Yeah, this is very true (same as I do in alot of times). It's hard enough to learn read/think they way other coders done. So, make the code yourself very much make everything easier :)

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:05 pm

Well, to be honest, I must express my amazement here :) Every single post written by Nefarius gives me the hope that some day the modding community will gather together and really make some advance on this game's modding scene. I bet you will receive a lot of feedback, and helpful advice from players all over the world. It won't be the simple feedback like pointing at your bugs, but ideas on new systems, improvements, and enrichments of the original ideas. It is the first time we are to see such a big change in modding. Everything adjusted in the way the modder wishes. We were unable to see the old code's replacement and implementing brand new code since the first day of modding scene's existence. I know it may sound much like a*se licking, but I don't care about it. This is a change I have never dreamt of. To be really honest, most of us are surprised to see such an approach and attitude towards the old, good Diablo 2.

Now to introduce some comments:

:arrow: The act change is independent of the quest accomplished. This is the idea that many MMORPG games contain. Since the game is multiplayer, it makes things fresh. Set off on any hunt. No matter which act is considered. I love the idea. Creation of five (or more) different acts, where many areas are within the touch at the start, while in the vanilla you had to struggle with final act bosses. That brings quite a new gameplay I think. I am eager to hear more about the idea.

:arrow: The need for a strategy has always been a major need. The old way of AI editing seems too little for many players. How about passive and agressive monsters? Some would attack only when are attacked, and the other would attack whenever the player becomes within their range of sight. I wish to see that. ;) Though I believe that you have much better solution for that part of game.

:arrow: Side quests and main quests were first proposed by Kingpin, I believe. Even though, this is the idea that many would love to see implemented in any modification. I think that your players will introduce many ideas to make them more various and interesting.

Just let the players show their ideas. This is my request: let the people get more involved in this project.

I wish you much luck with your project.
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:17 pm

The act change is independent of the quest accomplished. This is the idea that many MMORPG games contain. Since the game is multiplayer, it makes things fresh. Set off on any hunt. No matter which act is considered. I love the idea. Creation of five (or more) different acts, where many areas are within the touch at the start, while in the vanilla you had to struggle with final act bosses. That brings quite a new gameplay I think. I am eager to hear more about the idea.
Yes, the basic idea is to allow people to finish what they want in whatever order they want as long as it doesn't distort the storyline (mine, not the D2 one). There will, as mentioned above, be some restrictions and requirements but these will apply in general to areas within the acts, not the acts themselves (except for Act 4 because you can't just 'go to hell' ;)).

The need for a strategy has always been a major need. The old way of AI editing seems too little for many players. How about passive and agressive monsters? Some would attack only when are attacked, and the other would attack whenever the player becomes within their range of sight. I wish to see that. icon_wink.gif Though I believe that you have much better solution for that part of game.
There are all kinds of AI, some units will not be attackable and killable until you talk to them and actually activate their AI by challenging them (and stuff like that). Like some D1 quest bosses. Yet others will be passive unless some other unit is nearby (etc), there is no real limit to what I can make the AI do.

Side quests and main quests were first proposed by Kingpin, I believe. Even though, this is the idea that many would love to see implemented in any modification. I think that your players will introduce many ideas to make them more various and interesting.
Kingpin and Joel were the first (to my knowledge) who had CE based sidequests but the concept of side quest alongside the main quest has been around since the dawn of D2 modding (softcoded sidequests been round since ever).

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 pm

Kingpin and Joel were the first (to my knowledge) who had CE based sidequests but the concept of side quest alongside the main quest has been around since the dawn of D2 modding (softcoded sidequests been round since ever).
Was actually neither Joel or Me. Afj666 did the code work for the quest system in my mod original and I've extended it over the years to allow more ways to do quests in :)

I've never seen Joel done any CE based quest system at all (he got access to early version of our code and don't know if quest system was part of it already back then).

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:38 pm

Joel has done some CE based changes to quest system to create side quests in his old Cabal Wars mod, but to my knowledge none of this ever saw the eye of the public (the project got cancelled off due to a HD failure IIRC).
Last edited by Nefarius on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hans
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Dominion

Post by Hans » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 pm

Nefarius";p="364646" wrote:8.) General increase in difficulty and need for strategy. Everything is generally a lot harder, the environment is as harsh as can be. Difficulty and harshness however comes in many forms and does not mean you'll be facing the proverbial x8 crap everywhere.

9.) Along the previous lines, the AI is smarter, a lot smarter at times, it's lean, it's mean, it will play tricks on you, stab you in the back and then laugh in your face. Smarter units will chose the most efficient attack against your character beware.
My knees are starting to shake. I am thinking that monsters will ambush you using cloak of shadows or the local environment (trees, under the sand, and under the water). Will monsters (scouts) retreat and gather reinforcements from uncleared areas and possibly set up an ambush for the heroes.
Nefarius";p="364646" wrote:10.) Among the side quests and also main quests, we plan to have more then one way to beat them in most cases. However unlike vanilla you can also fail quests (without a chance for a rematch, how is this role playing if you can repeat the same thing until it works, that never made any sense).

Are some of the quests going to be random.
"Hi. My name is Hans, and I am addicted to a game that is not yet been made" - Card carrying member of D3 Addictions Anonymous, since June 2008.
Card carrying member of Mentaldom, since May 2006 - Zy-El Hardcore.
"German pornstar/Bee Gee lookalike" & "The Blacksmith"
Trying to picture Hans as a Dominion...nah it isn't working sorry. It's the mustache that gets me every time - Al-T.
"All men play on 127" O-H - Hans
"Okay, time out. This is Zy-El. The mod of total excess. Since when would any Zy-El lover do only what's necessary?" - Metropolis Man
Zy-El Wiki|New Zy-El Website

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:18 pm

My knees are starting to shake. I am thinking that monsters will ambush you using cloak of shadows or the local environment (trees, under the sand, and under the water). Will monsters (scouts) retreat and gather reinforcements from uncleared areas and possibly set up an ambush for the heroes.
Clever and nasty skill usage will be utilized by advanced AIs (I generally differentiate between 'Retards', 'Average' and 'Brilliant').

Retards is the category for lower undead (Zombies at alia), don't expect much advanced behavior here. Except for 'anger' and 'fear'.

Average, this is for monsters like Fallen and Drow, they are smarter in that they have a larger behavior pool then retards, will command each other to do attacks, heal each other, buff each other (etc).

Brilliant, this is for mages and general smarter units, scouts and also early bosses. They will use threat evaluation that is, they won't pick the most obvious target (whatever is near them), but employ filtering of what to attack depending on their condition and abilities (a fire immune mage has a clear advantage over a player who specializes only on fire spells, so this will be the most viable target). These AIs may chose not to attack you and escape. The threat evaluation algorithm will not be fully implemented until large parts of the skill system are done however (it's hard to evaluate stuff based on content that isn't there yet ;)). They will most likely also feature some of the behavior you mentioned ;) [such assassins and scouts trying to stay outside Line of Sight, or if they have it, use a invisibility skill, and in case of assassin style units, stab you in the back while invisible]).

End game bosses are like brilliant above, but they have other aspects which makes them a fair bit more lethal.

EDIT: One thing to add to this AI buisness is the little fact that super-unique monsters generally behave differently then other monsters of the same species. In some cases entirely different. Super-uniques themselves are distributed through the levels more like in D1, that is, while there still are superuniques like those in vanilla that are preset and always appear in a specific map, the majority (the random superuniques) spawn like champions and unique monsters, at random somewhere in a level and each level can be assigned 1-5 random superuniques (only one will spawn per level, the rest being random bosses and champions).

Are some of the quests going to be random.
Yes some side quests are entirely random. That is, they may trigger only when some conditions are true and a random factor allows your character to perform this (this is going to be based on some aspects determined at character creation).

Some others are going to be based on date/time (not in-game but real-world)

We also have some 'rite of passage' sidequests planned depending on subclass (etc) --- these will trigger based on cLvl and can only be done in single player (it's a rite of passage, nature of this means they need to be done alone ;)).
Last edited by Nefarius on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorniI
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by CorniI » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:10 pm

OK, first, my congratulations for this Coding work, i'm wondering that you're still with us ;)
But, what the hell do you want to make with ~1024 levels? who shall map that much :P
Linux is like a Wigwam - NO Windows, no Gates and Apache inside

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Who says someone must map this by hand ;) the DRLG engine is quite powerful when properly modified and tweaked. You can generate random areas with preset maps in them.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 pm

So, will modders be able to make their own side/main quests from softcoded info? Oh, and in one of the screenshots it has some strange looking text in the chat bar "6s4vf: You now have access to this console"? I also have a few suggestions. Can you make players have colors in their names? that would be pretty tight.
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

Radamer

Post by Radamer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Awesome changes there. This whole mod should be called Diablo II 2.0 or something.

Will we be able to control what our minions do? I mean like getting them to defend your character or attack specific targets instead of letting them meander around and attack the closest monster.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:49 am

One of the ideas to command minions that me and the team have had is to use the under-used 'speech' buttons for general commanding ;), this isn't implemented yet, rather easy to do though.

GeorgiaBoy
Champion of the Light
Turks & Caicos Is

Post by GeorgiaBoy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:40 pm

I have been gone for a while. All I can say is wow 8-O ! I hope Nef takes well deserved breaks sometimes...

GB

Eisenfaust86

Post by Eisenfaust86 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Nefarius";p="364646" wrote:
<snip> how is this role playing if you can repeat the same thing until it works, that never made any sense.
That is probably the most common argument people use for not calling D2 a legitimate RPG.
Yes, the basic idea is to allow people to finish what they want in whatever order they want as long as it doesn't distort the storyline.
Just how I like my RPGs: open-ended with as few limitations on where to go and what to do as possible (Morrowind made this method famous and now we will see it in D2 thanks to you, Nef). :)
Last edited by Eisenfaust86 on Tue May 20, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Wed May 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Would it be possible to shorten the interval of the "twinkling" that happens on the ground with dropped loot for rare items like uniques and sets? The increased twinkling would set those apart from other common items, making it easier to sort through large piles of loot.

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Thu May 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Don't know if I should of posted a new thread for this or not; but I have a few ideas. I know nothing about coding or anything but these seemed really interesting to me.
Everyone (Mostly) Uses plugy now. Even though a lot of modders dislike the whole unassign skill points features and what not. Would it be possible to code in a bigger stash system? Perhaps a upgrade system so you can increase it in game?
A note system? So the player could jot down crap in game? I don't think it would be possible but pretty interesting non the less. Somewhere to write down some cube recipes. =)
In game timer for how long you've been playing. Would that be possible?
In game kill counter in stats page.
Last edited by Jakebow on Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward, art thou also dead - - dead to the World, to Heaven, and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself. - Edger Allan Poe

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Jakebow, those are really good ideas :cool:

I have another idea that may improve the game, if of course you are willing and it's possible. I'm in the Catacombs right now and the pathfinding of my annointed bears is horrendous, and I consistently have to re-summon them.

Is there any way this could be improved? I know it's probably a difficult algorithm, but I know you're really good. To be quite honest, I'm not sure exactly how hard it is to change. I've had some experience with Java, and though I know it's not the language used to code D2, I'm pretty sure the complexity of the "twinkling" items suggestion is doable with only a few lines of code. An "if" statement and a few extra integers should do the trick ;)

I should be taking C# in the Fall, if everything goes according to plan. Is that closer than Java to D2? What is D2 coded in anyway :oops:
Last edited by AdmiralCrackbar on Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BloodyShade
Paladin
Japan

Post by BloodyShade » Thu May 29, 2008 10:31 pm

AdmiralCrackbar";p="389726" wrote:Jakebow, those are really good ideas :cool:

I have another idea that may improve the game, if of course you are willing and it's possible. I'm in the Catacombs right now and the pathfinding of my annointed bears is horrendous, and I consistently have to re-summon them.

Is there any way this could be improved? I know it's probably a difficult algorithm, but I know you're really good. To be quite honest, I'm not sure exactly how hard it is to change. I've had some experience with Java, and though I know it's not the language used to code D2, I'm pretty sure the complexity of the "twinkling" items suggestion is doable with only a few lines of code. An "if" statement and a few extra integers should do the trick ;)

I should be taking C# in the Fall, if everything goes according to plan. Is that closer than Java to D2? What is D2 coded in anyway :oops:
The pathfinding probably requires a rewrite of the AI system, which I'm quite sure nef already did.
D2 has been coded in C++, a great language for almost all uses.

Later.

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Fri May 30, 2008 2:33 am

=) Thanks!
Yeah i've just always thought there should be some of the features already included into the system. You know; basic user friendly settings. Speaking of which, I remember reading a thread talking about making color dyes for equipment, but it required some kind of coding. I wonder if that would be a nifty feature.
You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward, art thou also dead - - dead to the World, to Heaven, and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself. - Edger Allan Poe

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 pm

*crosses fingers* I really hope this isn't dead :(

Another idea: Could you designate a new color for ethereal items? It stinks not knowing whether the item is socketed or ethereal until you pick it up, open the inventory, and then drop it cuz it has 1 socket :cry:

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Would it be possible to shorten the interval of the "twinkling" that happens on the ground with dropped loot for rare items like uniques and sets? The increased twinkling would set those apart from other common items, making it easier to sort through large piles of loot.
The entire planned drop system does not resemble LoD in the slightest, there is only little grind involved in it, through very harsh affix filtering. You won't see set and unique items as often as you do in vanilla, they are novelties that will drop here and there (and there is no way to improve the odds of these drops, MF% only effects magic and rare drops) and as rewards, the main gear will be old school rare items (and anyone that played anything I've ever made that included affix changes, knows what I mean by old school rare equipment). Magic items will have several modifiers not found elsewhere (modifiers, not stat values, that is you can find any amount of a stat both on rare and magic items, theres no difference, but magic items may spawn with +to all stats, +to all resistances, while rares cannot, there are some other modifiers that will spawn only on magic items, but I won't reveal all of that here, there may be a upcomming post though concerning some modifiers :)).

I have been gone for a while. All I can say is wow, I hope Nef takes well deserved breaks sometimes...
Hehe, don't worry, I do take breaks from this from time to time :).

Even though a lot of modders dislike the whole unassign skill points features and what not.
The spell system has a natural way to unlearn a spell, but I can't say how we plan to do this yet, as it would be too big of a spoiler. Fear not, a spell you memorize you can opt to forget and learn a new one instead. There are however no 'skill points' and 'skill levels'.
Would it be possible to code in a bigger stash system? Perhaps a upgrade system so you can increase it in game?
Nope, for once that would break the idea of reducing the grind in the game to a minimum ;) (being able to find largely to notch equipment AND infinite storage together inevitably leads to problems).

A space upgrade for the stash is however a idea we've been playing with in the past (among the idea blizzard originally had with the guild vault), whenever this will be implemented or not is something only time will tell. (With infinite room in the D2S itself [the new code has no problems saving/loading 30KB files in MP] the storage room issue being a problem in MP games isn't the type of issue it is in PlugY].
I don't think it would be possible but pretty interesting non the less. Somewhere to write down some cube recipes. =)
In game timer for how long you've been playing. Would that be possible?
A note system like this is fairly simple to implement actually, its not much more complicated then logging the ingame chat, which has been done before. It's a nice idea.
In game kill counter in stats page.
Some sort of kill counter is planned.

AI changes are one of the core features ;)

The pathfinding probably requires a rewrite of the AI system, which I'm quite sure nef already did.
D2 has been coded in C++, a great language for almost all uses.

Later.
Yep, most of this stuff is already done with.
D2 is a combination of C, C++ and inline ASM. Which is in essence the same case with MetalStorm.

@BloodyShade, If I get a chance this week I'll try to catch you online, though can't promiss anything ATM.

=) Thanks!
Yeah i've just always thought there should be some of the features already included into the system. You know; basic user friendly settings. Speaking of which, I remember reading a thread talking about making color dyes for equipment, but it required some kind of coding. I wonder if that would be a nifty feature.
The ability to apply a color of choice to items is one of the oldest among the implemented code :), different from past time implementations of coloration of gear, you actually have 50 colors to chose from compared to D2s normal 18 or so colors ;)

*crosses fingers* I really hope this isn't dead
Don't worry ;) if you don't see updates here it either means I'm busy or I prefer working on things over posting ;)
Another idea: Could you designate a new color for ethereal items? It stinks not knowing whether the item is socketed or ethereal until you pick it up, open the inventory, and then drop it cuz it has 1 socket
Random ethereal items do not drop. Ethereal equipment is also different from D2 in every possible way (other then it being unrepairable and translucent). The short version: ethereal items are items wielded by enemies from another plane, and thus only drops from non-materialized units like Ghosts (etc) [which will not drop equipment that isn't ethereal].

Jakebow
Champion of the Light

Post by Jakebow » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:11 am

Awesome! :D
I was almost scared the mod was dead too for awhile. Now your back. :D
Anyway. I'm glad to hear a lot of the ideas I had are already in the mod. Thats awesome. I guess a lot of the things in my head are from other games, and i'm sure you've got a lot of work and ideas already coming to you. Don't wanna overload you. 8-O
Though honestly, I've been brain storming. One of the features I never understood about Diablo 2 was the fact that a lot of the NPCs seem to stay in one place, except ACT III. (Can't remember the name..) He actually moves. Would it be possible to have "False" interactions between the NPCs? Have them move to each other once and awhile? Some kind of ingame depth would be added I imagine.

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”