Linux ft Wine and Runing Windows Programs

Feel free to chat about anything unrelated to Diablo II and modmaking, just keep it legal :-) Please keep the spamming down though.

Moderators: AdiTT, Kardon

Lurix
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Bulgaria

Linux ft Wine and Runing Windows Programs

Post by Lurix » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Long time ago, I'm thinking of installing Linux OS on my PC, cause as it seems it looks much beautifull and also takes less resources than Windows.
But I'm unsure if I can use any programs which I can use like in Win, I've heard of the program Wine, which enables you to run some programs which Windows can, but I'm not sure if this is for ANY program or just a FEW.

So if someone here is more common with those things would he share the information please.
Most important things are, after I install it I can continue my modding works which requires WinMPQ, DC6Creator, WinDS1Editor, Photoshop..And more...

Thanks in advance ;)

bestdnd

Re: Linux ft Wine and Runing Windows Programs

Post by bestdnd » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:38 am

i'm using linux ubuntu (12.04), with the latest version of wine, but i don't consider myself an expert...

i can confirm that diablo2 runs well using d2se (hope you already know it, it works pretty much like in windows).
also i tested World of Warcraft and it also works perfectly.
both only in unity (ubuntu default, don't use kubuntu or anything using kde)

when running d2se i still have some issues with the graphics- the game does not work in full screen like in windows, but it works with any of the following:
* black borders and a 800x600 area in the middle for the game
* a linux window, when the game thinks it's in full screen (fills the window).

i don't know about the modding tools (hope someone else can test them), but they're probably pretty simple programs, and will work under wine.

also, i can confirm that plugy and eastern sun and zy-el mods work.

last thing is the you can either use a virtual machine and\or dual boot to run windows and any program on it.

you can also see this site for more details and look for more programs:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=12142

Return to “Off-Topic”