Blizzard is...

Feel free to chat about anything unrelated to Diablo II and modmaking, just keep it legal :-) Please keep the spamming down though.

Moderators: AdiTT, Kardon

Valherran
Forum Regular
Angel

Blizzard is...

Post by Valherran » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm not ENTIRELY sure if this is the right place for this, but in case anyone did care (ive seen people try in the past) Blizzard is now hiring, so id thought i would give you all a heads up. ;)

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:51 pm

Well, if you were working for Blizz this would be the place I suppose :P

But I kindly ask our beloved moderators and admins to move the topic to the Off-topic phorums.

(Before someone asks: Job Offerings would not suit the topic as it is for modding positions ;) )
Terms Of Service - Written for a reason.
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Moved

Post by Nefarius » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:03 pm

*This topic has been moved from Member Announcements to Off-Topic*

Valherran
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: Blizzard is...

Post by Valherran » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Im surprised there havent been any replys, last time i saw a thread like this it had 3 pages withing a couple days... :(

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

[quote=Valherran";p="364222"]
Im surprised there havent been any replys, last time i saw a thread like this it had 3 pages withing a couple days... :(
[/quote]

Here at the Keep? :roll:

I know that the entire internet is speculating about the positions and possible announcement of SC:MMO or D3:MMO, but we have topics for D3 .. and one of SC2 ...
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 pm

Teh Blizz n0w suxx0rs!!!!111!1!one!

You'd expect mass threads at Battle.net and probably the WoW forums, but I doubt you'd see them at the Keep.
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:36 pm

[quote=GuyAskingQuestion";p="364457"]Teh Blizz n0w suxx0rs!!!!111!1!one![/quote]

Couldn't have said that better ;)

I appologize for this link, it isn't meant to offend
Last edited by Nefarius on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 pm

Actually I am checking regularly Blizzard's website. Especially the Job section (even saw one I could've applied for if it wasn't based in France ;) ).

Honestly .. I still can't believe how they actually confirmed D3:MMO :
Position: Senior 3D Character Animator, Description: The team behind Diablo I and II is looking for a skilled Senior 3D Character Animator. ...
Position: 3D Background Artist, Description: Blizzard, the developer of Diablo and Diablo II, is looking for a 3D Background Artist ...
Position: Lead 3D Environment Artist, Description: Blizzard Entertainment, the developer of Diablo and Diablo II, is looking for a lead 3D environment artist ...
Why would they mention only the Diablo series if its not Diablo 3 :?: Why not "Blizzard, the company that created several of the top games of the last decade - Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo series" or something like that ... They are not only expecting us to play their games, but they are even trying to play us! :D

Admit it Blizzard! You are about to announce Diablo 3!
:mrgreen:

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 pm

I still hope it's not an MMO. :(

I'd stick with D2 instead of moving on to D3 if it was.

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:25 am

theyre seeing the success of maplestory...

so they copy it >.>

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:14 pm

The three-dimensional environment is the last thing I wish to see...
But nobody cares.
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:05 pm

[quote=sPoT";p="364965"]The three-dimensional environment is the last thing I wish to see...
But nobody cares.[/quote]

You have alot more free dom in 3D. The development goes alot faster than do the 2D isometric. There is almost no companies that keep do true 2D anymore as that cost far more. You don't need to do special code to convert the anims as in D2.

Instead you can do code the take the 3d chars directly into your work. Make it alot easier to maintane and update.

You wont see a 2D game anymore from Blizzard.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:28 pm

I personally don't bother if its 3D or 2D, they just need to keep the feel of the series intact. Aka use a isometric angle for it. Or at least a 3rd-person perspective that doesn't look too different from the older games.

But, some general observation...
You have alot more free dom in 3D. The development goes alot faster than do the 2D isometric. There is almost no companies that keep do true 2D anymore as that cost far more. You don't need to do special code to convert the anims as in D2.
That is somehow open to debate if you ask me, a efficient 2D sprite engine can be coded that reads frames from a *.PNG strip, a fully open format, no "funny" code needed. I've coded something like that in half an hour. But big companies in general like to use complex closed-source formats because it impressed shareholders I guess.

If a company took the approach of custom closed-source formats for 2D gfx they can take the same approach on 3d models too (which will need just as much extra code for conversion past work, unless they have a custom version of the rendering software or a plugin for it that does this directly, which they probably had for D2-also ;)).

It will be easier to decypher it (somewhat) for third parties because it isn't raw pixel data but only polygons + surface (but how they store the actual surface used for material apperance can be just as closed-source as the 2D format).
Last edited by Nefarius on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

inutile

Post by inutile » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:10 am

Wouldn't the artists have more work to do in 2d though, with all those frames, not to mention the possible armor/weapon combinations

Return to “Off-Topic”