Assertion Failure

Information and updates for the "Legacy of the Horadrim" mod by quatl. If you have any questions or suggestions for these mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Quatl

Innomen

Assertion Failure

Post by Innomen » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:38 pm

Assertion Failure
Expression : pbdata

I fresh installed Diablo, and LOD.

I applied the 1.10 final patch.

I extracted the LotH folder.

I copied the dll and the bat file, I ran the bat file, I properly modified the shortcut, ran it and got the error.

What have I done wrong?

Edit: Just in case, I also got a copy of the clean DLLs as suggested in the FAQ, no effect.
Last edited by Innomen on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Re: Assertion Failure

Post by Quatl » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Assertion errors with LotH are caused by problems with versions.

Make make certain that you are not using any software that modifies D2's code in anyway (other than D2Mod.) This also goes for MPQ files, particularly data.mpq and patch.mpq.

Make certain that all dlls listed in the readme are located in the LotH directory.

If something may have gone wrong with D2Mod's patch procedure, copy over the D2gfx.dll from the LotH directory to the diablo 2 directory (that dll is already properly hooked to load d2mod)

If none of these things solves the problem, send me the contents of your most recent log file. You will find it in your D2 Directory (D2XXXXXX.log, where XXXXXX is the date.) You can open it up in note pad and copy/paste the text into a private message, or an email (my address is in the readme.)

-Quatl
Legacy of the Horadrim: Have a taste, contains a full days supply of 0 esential vitamins and minerals.
The Mod-Makeing Trinity: Tutorials|File Guides|Search

Innomen

Post by Innomen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 pm

Fully uninstalled diablo.

Reinstall to C:\program files\Diablo II Just in case placement is an issue.

Installed LOD

Applied 1.10 Patch "patchinstaller-lod-pc-110.exe" Gotten from this forum.

Ran the game, it states version 1.10, no errors.

Extracted contents of "LotH(V)_1.5E(beta).zip" to C:\Program Files\Diablo II\LotH(V)

Copied d2Mod.dll and D2ModSetup.bat to my Diablo II folder.

Ran D2ModSetup.bat.

clicked ok to install mod.

Ran shortcut.

...And magically it worked.

The only thing that is different now is location.

Thank you for your help, I wish I knew what I did wrong the first few times.

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm glad to hear you got it running.

I've been trying to figure out what it is exactly that causes some folks to have trouble installing it, so I could make the instructions a bit clearer or something.

Usually it is as in your case, I tell them what I told you, some times a few times, or with some variations in wording, and it "magically" works. If you can think of anything you may have done differently the first time please do let me know.

It may have been something as simple as a space or quote out of place in your shortcut.

-Quatl
Legacy of the Horadrim: Have a taste, contains a full days supply of 0 esential vitamins and minerals.

Innomen

Post by Innomen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:34 pm

A shortcut error does seem likely.

I know 0 about coding so pardon if this seems radically stupid.

But how hard would it be to create an installer that will check and then if needed, downgrade diablo, crc check all files involved in the process, (or equivalent), basically make it innome... I mean idiot proof :)

I think your mod would be much more popular if it was easier to implement.

Also, if you made some type of downgrading installer or found someone to make it for you, you could claim that legacy is at least sort of compatible with the latest version, which would also aid in its spread.

You've made a great thing here, and more people should get to play it.

I haven't gotten around to really playing with the item craft system but I'm very pleased with it so far. The ability to custom make an item in game is LONG over due, and I always felt it was silly that I couldent commission the blacksmith. :D

Thank you for your hard work on behalf of us all.

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:43 pm

:)
No, your sugestions arn't stupid at all, once things stabliize some kind of installer will be created.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad that LotH has captured your imagination a bit. Please be sure to tell me what you don't like, after playing bit too.

-Quatl

Innomen

Post by Innomen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:01 am

You asked me what I don’t like, and I searched long and hard, and as of yet I’ve found nothing.

But I do have some suggestions.

You’ve built quite a versatile system here, so much so that it could be used to swallow up others.

Is there an upper limit on the types of skills you can implement?

For example Median has a bow skill called cascade, basically it’s an auto targeting multishot. The arrow merc used it and it made her useful actually instead of a death-seeking money-pit.

I'm not saying add that particular thing, because frankly your creativity is what I want more than my own changes - but could you add more skills to choose from on top of the originals, or is it a replace only kind of deal?

I read that you’re having trouble getting the skill item to display text, if you get that sorted out could you get the mouse over to describe the skill briefly? I can’t memorize what does what. But I don't mind spending gold adding it to see when you’ve made it so easy to remove skills. Maybe do like you did with the skill tree? Have a reference block of what’s available for your current level?

Further, you seem to have removed skill bonuses from class specific items. I also vaguely remember reading that you’ve capped skills at lvl 20. (My brain could be mixing mods.) Like one mod spoke of making magic damage higher if your mana was over half full and a little less if it was under half, to simulate magical fatigue. I liked that idea a lot.

Anyway, both the cap, and the removal of skill bonuses of any sort from items, at the same time, radically limits the potential of your character. Granted this is just my first day and I probably missed something. But when I played before and got to nightmare and hell, I had to have my skills beyond their natural max via gear just to survive. Could you either make some way for random items to give skill bonuses, or remove the cap on skill max? Or perhaps make different caps for nightmare and hell chars?

Of course I couldn't mix and match before, or reassign stats, so I can understand if you feel that’s a fair loss. And if you never changed it again in your life I’d be happy, I'm having a blast.

***Past here is fantasy land. BEWARE :P***

While I'm asking, Santa, could you remove the corpse system? Corpse overlap is known to cause inventory loss, and while I back up my save folder often, losing everything is still a pain. I’d rather lose exp than hunt my corpse.

Could you remove Charge bolt enchanted monsters (or make it so that I can CB my merc or myself) and trim down the corpse explosion damage? I’d rather the monsters kill me while they are alive, or with their powers, over killing me with my own damage for touching them, thorns sucks.

Could you make it so that they auto grab gold?

Could you make it so that I can hire a snapshot of a player character from a different save as my merc? Say equipped gear + tome? I know I know, way over powered but I always wanted my melee guy and my bow guy on the same screen. In dungeon siege, I hated hirelings I wanted to make my party myself. Very few games let you do that.

I usta have a series of charms ages ago that would change my appearance, to little skeleton knife guy, ghoul, werewolf, bear, and change my colors, freeze blue, poison green (naked barb looks like the hulk hehe), red, grey, black, white. They served no purpose other than cosmetic. That got me thinking.

Could the shops sell something to “dye” items a given color? As in guild wars?

Oh yea, and could you do a total zombie conversion and or make a secret level that would operate like crimson land survival mode?

Heheh Whew that’s just about it, I’ll bet yur sorry you encouraged me to open my mouth :)

Again, kudos on probably the greatest mod of all time. :lol:

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:37 am

Innomen";p="307106" wrote:You asked me what I don’t like, and I searched long and hard, and as of yet I’ve found nothing.
Maybe not yet but I'm sure you will :)
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: But I do have some suggestions.

You’ve built quite a versatile system here, so much so that it could be used to swallow up others.

Is there an upper limit on the types of skills you can implement?
There are limits, but There's a lot of room. (Many features of LotH began life as workarounds. Sometimes when you're beating your head against a brick wall new ideas snap off of your skul. Then you can just pick them up off the ground. Much of my work flow is like that.)
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: For example Median has a bow skill called cascade, basically it’s an auto targeting multishot. The arrow merc used it and it made her useful actually instead of a death-seeking money-pit.

I'm not saying add that particular thing, because frankly your creativity is what I want more than my own changes - but could you add more skills to choose from on top of the originals, or is it a replace only kind of deal?
Yes, many old skills are disabled in my dev version (read as: eventual next release), and many many new things are bubbling away in the back of my head, and/or in game in experimental form.

As for specific skills, I haven't attempted to replicate any skills from other mods, and likely won't ... at least not intentionally.
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: I read that you’re having trouble getting the skill item to display text, if you get that sorted out could you get the mouse over to describe the skill briefly? I can’t memorize what does what. But I don't mind spending gold adding it to see when you’ve made it so easy to remove skills. Maybe do like you did with the skill tree? Have a reference block of what’s available for your current level?
This is largely resolved, every skill item now (in my dev version) displays a skill description. There are some screen shots of some of them around here someplace. There are big issues with the skill tree, and the method used in the release version won't work in the long run for several reasons that I'm not interested in trying to solve :)

The quick bar menu will continue to show the current stats of each skill, and item text will handle the descriptions. Exact numbers on skills you don't have are unfortunately not available though.
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Further, you seem to have removed skill bonuses from class specific items. I also vaguely remember reading that you’ve capped skills at lvl 20. (My brain could be mixing mods.)
nope, no mixup, the caps are at 20 points. This is not really important at all for future versions, as skill level is not related to skill effectiveness at all. (well it is but only indirectly, affinities will be the primary source of skill effectiveness; and affinities come from the skills you know)
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Like one mod spoke of making magic damage higher if your mana was over half full and a little less if it was under half, to simulate magical fatigue. I liked that idea a lot.

Anyway, both the cap, and the removal of skill bonuses of any sort from items, at the same time, radically limits the potential of your character. Granted this is just my first day and I probably missed something. But when I played before and got to nightmare and hell, I had to have my skills beyond their natural max via gear just to survive. Could you either make some way for random items to give skill bonuses, or remove the cap on skill max? Or perhaps make different caps for nightmare and hell chars?
that's this one too... again something that is part of the affinity stuff. Mana influences skill effectiveness that comes from affinities, except for the affinity points from the skill in question. Which sounds very confusing I'm sure.

As an example lets say you have 5 points of Fire Bolt(FB) and 5 Points in Ice Bolt(IB). The affinities for FB are Fire, Evocation, and Bolt. The affinities for IB are Cold, Evocation, and Bolt.

This character would have the following affinity levels:
Ice: 5
Fire:5
Evocation: 10
Bolt: 10

At 1/2 mana both ice bolt and fire Fire bolts will deliver damage as if they were 10th level [lvl = (((5+5+5)/3)*mana_ratio) + (5))]. but at zero mana (yes it's impossible but it's the curve that's important...) they would cast only as 5th, as that is the "natural" or "innate" level of skill. note at full mana you actually get bonus damage (basically level is 150% when full.)

In comparison someone with 10 levels of FB only would do full damage with up to half mana and bonus damage from half to full mana. [lvl=10]

The idea is that "innate" skill levels add reliability to spells, but your maximum effect is influenced by your affinities.

This is an over simplification of the way it works, but it's the "jist." (Some spells and abilities gain extra's based on one or more affinities as well, and many non-damage skills are weirder.)

The consequences of this are many. One is that having more skills is good, as long as there is some overlap. Thus you are punished less for diversifying as long as your skills are interrelated at least a little bit. another is that skill points are much more potent, since each skill point is really adding to multiple skills.

Also note that the above formula is NOT the actual formula used in the game, and may not be accurate. The description is correct more or less though.

The skill bonus modifiers however do not (read: can not) add to affinities directly though, so any skill points from items would actually decrease the effectiveness of that skill. This is because the actual formula at one point subtracts skill level * 3 from the total bonus in order to correct for overlapped affinities.

Still in the version you are playing none of this applies at all, and your assessment is basically correct. however the mix and match effects more that make up for it at least through 40th or 50th level. There are some really broken combos (meaning way over powered.)
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Of course I couldn't mix and match before, or reassign stats, so I can understand if you feel that’s a fair loss. And if you never changed it again in your life I’d be happy, I'm having a blast.

***Past here is fantasy land. BEWARE :P***

While I'm asking, Santa, could you remove the corpse system? Corpse overlap is known to cause inventory loss, and while I back up my save folder often, losing everything is still a pain. I’d rather lose exp than hunt my corpse.
Not too likely, I wouldn't know where to start on this one. Try to die less ( ;) ) Or log out and in and your corpse will appear in town.

Also, personaly I enjoy a good death now and then, it helps me pretend there's some danger.
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Could you remove Charge bolt enchanted monsters (or make it so that I can CB my merc or myself) and trim down the corpse explosion damage? I’d rather the monsters kill me while they are alive, or with their powers, over killing me with my own damage for touching them, thorns sucks.
Charged critters and thorns are a bit annoying. These critters are simi-broken.

Two things: Do craft some resistance items. Also keep a socketed shield/1h weapon on your off set. load it up with gems and enchants for resistances and swap to it when you realize what you're fighting.

Crafting is central in LotH, you are expected to be broke at all times!
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Could you make it so that they auto grab gold?
nope, can't, and won't. And this is a touchy topic around these parts, so I'm not going to explain why I can't and won't.
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Could you make it so that I can hire a snapshot of a player character from a different save as my merc? Say equipped gear + tome? I know I know, way over powered but I always wanted my melee guy and my bow guy on the same screen. In dungeon siege, I hated hirelings I wanted to make my party myself. Very few games let you do that.
That would be very cool, but i think it is beyond my skills. I am always looking for ways to make hirelings better, and more interesting though. Also note that hirelings in LotH do not suck... (remember you can enchant their stuff too)
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: I usta have a series of charms ages ago that would change my appearance, to little skeleton knife guy, ghoul, werewolf, bear, and change my colors, freeze blue, poison green (naked barb looks like the hulk hehe), red, grey, black, white. They served no purpose other than cosmetic. That got me thinking.
nifty, maybe in some way, at some point if I can fit it into my "theory." Not a high priority for me though.
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Could the shops sell something to “dye” items a given color? As in guild wars?
this is more problematic than it sounds, and often looks very ugly. It has occurred to me though to try this at some point, I'd like to.
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Oh yea, and could you do a total zombie conversion and or make a secret level that would operate like crimson land survival mode?
sure thing man, i'll get that to ya by next week ;)
(btw all sarcasm aside, I do love me some zombies :) )
Innomen";p="307106" wrote: Heheh Whew that’s just about it, I’ll bet yur sorry you encouraged me to open my mouth :)

Again, kudos on probably the greatest mod of all time. :lol:
hehe. There are a great many mods out there that seem fun. My personal favorite was always Sir_General's Rune Mods, but they seem dead for now. The influence of the Rune Mod on LotH is obvious.

Thanks for the suggestions, have fun playing, and when you really hate something let me know ;)
--Quatl

Innomen

LotH 1.6A: New Assertion Failure

Post by Innomen » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:20 pm

In the process of setting up an install for a friend (I'm talking as many people as I can into playing 1.6A) I got a new assertion error.

My procedure was as follows.
Install (Full) fresh diablo 2 + expansion to default directory (C:\program yada yada)

Download (from readme link) v1.10 DLLs and copy them into said folder, over writing where needed.

Extract LotH 1.6A To said folder.

Copy D2Mod.dll and D2ModSetup.bat

Run D2ModSetup.bat (Do you want to install? Yes. Completed.)

Mount Expansion Disc Image (With DAEMON Tools Lite v4.30.1 32/64 Bits (with SPTD 1.56)

Run default shortcut (From LotH Directory)
Game starts, I get the LotH 1.6A main screen.

Create new Character

Choose Barbarian

Named him Locatron (so I can find where the hell the save files are stored heheh)

Edit: Found it. Registry entry forces save location, apparently.

Click ok to confirm the name, Bang.
Assertion Failure
Expression : lpParent
Solved: I had failed to copy Patch_D2.mpq into the Diablo II folder.

Also found a working Mini Image.

But the whole reason I started this was because of a rare but annoying exception error during play that always happens on exit. The on exit error was and is tolerable because it causes no damage, it only happen when I exit the game, I thought it was my no-cd loader, and that is now annihilated entirely.

Still getting the exception error, could it be the mod?
Last edited by Innomen on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Re: LotH 1.6A: New Assertion Failure

Post by Quatl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 am

Innomen";p="406628" wrote:But the whole reason I started this was because of a rare but annoying exception error during play that always happens on exit [...]

Still getting the exception error, could it be the mod?
It could be the mod though you're the first to report a problem like that. I'd recommend trying it with the original cd.

NOTE: Discussion of cd virtualization is a violation of the TOS of this site (by which I am bound.) So I won't say anything more about it.
TOS" wrote: XVI) Discussion of software piracy, {filtered}, serialz, bypassing of copyright protection, no-CD cracks, or other illegal activities is prohibited. This includes cases where software may be purchased but normal operation isn't possible (e.g. damaged CD), as the Keep staff have no method for verifying the status of such claim.

Innomen

Post by Innomen » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:04 pm

It's probably a peculiarity of my install. I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks for all your help, I posted a list of errors I've found so far in 1.6A in the post your build thread. I'll cya there, I'm done with this one.

Tangent (sorta):

For one, it's a stupid rule, and being a somewhat important figure here you can speak with more weight on that then I. But your rights are yours to do with as you please, including waive without so much as a word in their defense. I however can not and will not, I consider it a free speech thing. (which supersedes any TOS, as even a cursory glance at discrimination related case law will show)

For two, no intelligent moderator is going to care anyway since the CD requirement was removed by an official blizzard patch.

They aren't robots, this is a special case and I'm confident they'll realize that and stay out of it completely since once I've had my say I'm satisfied.

This mod is incompatible with the patch, so simply telling me to upgrade won't fly either. Thus I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to discuss feature migration, be it rune words, a skill carry over, an experience mechanic, or a convenience such as lack of CD checks.

I'm not going to kill my DVD drive, and pay for extra electricity, and associated vibration wear, because of an absurd requirement imposed on me collectively by a catch all please-dear-god-don't-sue-us TOS, and a paranoid, greedy, and technically naive executive.

I'm sorry but one cannot remove ones fair use privs with a TOS agreement.

Hows this for CYA:

Disclaimer: I hereby accept sole and personal responsibility and any and all liability relating to everything said under the name "Innomen" anywhere on this forum. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of phrozenkeep, planetdiablo, gamespy, or any other person or group. I further formally express my willingness to sign or stipulate any required waivers or statements require to accomplish or reinforce the above stated autonomy.

There. :) Now you can relax and they can relax and so long as no one messes with me, I can relax and enjoy my kidney stone and this game which I am using to distract myself from the mind numbing pain.

Thank you.[/b]

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Innomen";p="406662" wrote: Tangent (sorta):
well said :)

Innomen

Post by Innomen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:38 am

heheh thanks :)

Return to “Legacy of the Horadrim”