Problems with latest 1.5B

Information and updates for the "Legacy of the Horadrim" mod by quatl. If you have any questions or suggestions for these mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Quatl

Jest

Problems with latest 1.5B

Post by Jest » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 am

Hey Quatl. I want to try your mod, but there have been some strange occurances. I have, i believe to be, the most recent version of 1.5B but I'm getting some errors.

First of all, I cant run the game in -direct -txt mode. When I load a character I get this error.

So I try to run it without -txt and my my skill tree looks messed up. Voila

I followed your instructions exactly by the way.[/url]

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Re: Problems with latest 1.5B

Post by Quatl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:37 am

I havn't seen that precise error, but it looks like some problem reading the bins. Thar blank skill tree implies that the gameis atleast looking in the right place.

Some things to try:

The mod should run in -direct mode not -direct -txt. Although that shouldn't matter, it seems like it sometimes does. (I'm a little superstitious about it ;) )

Make sure that d2mod is installed properly. Try to follow that part of the instructions again, if the installer pop-up asks to remove d2mod cancel it, if it says it wants to install it do so, and try the mod again.

If neither of these work, try downloading 1.5B from here, the version on the file center is definately broken.

If that doesn't work I'll need to see the crash log to get a better idea what's wrong. You can find it in the d2 directory it will be called D2061003.txt or very similar (the numbers are the date YYMMDD) just send the most recent one if you have more than one. You can either send it to my email (see the readme) or paste the contents of that file into a private message for me here at the 'keep. We'll get it working for you :)

-Quatl
Legacy of the Horadrim: Have a taste, contains a full days supply of 0 esential vitamins and minerals.
The Mod-Makeing Trinity: Tutorials|File Guides|Search

IndianaMaggot
Paladin

Post by IndianaMaggot » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:46 am

I am having problems too but I just can not transmute any scrolls into my Horadric Tome. I installed 1.5B and started a fresh Throwasin (the build we talked about earlier) and I found 3 throwing mastery scrolls in the BM 8-O

But i can not transmute them, then i bought critical strike and I still can't transmute that.

It makes that sound the cube makes when it combines but nothing does it just gives me my scroll and tome back.
"Do You Serve a Purpose, or Purposely Serve?"
Working on Secret Project!
I am always willing to beta test for anyone just PM me.

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:48 am

Please have a look at the topic I opened yesterday or the day before. There is a newer version of the mod available that fixes those problems.
I'd rather go to Africa and get eaten by an Elephant... Snoopy

Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007!

ZyEl Wiki

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 am

IndianaMaggot";p="290217" wrote:I am having problems too but I just can not transmute any scrolls into my Horadric Tome. I installed 1.5B and started a fresh Throwasin (the build we talked about earlier) and I found 3 throwing mastery scrolls in the BM 8-O

But i can not transmute them, then i bought critical strike and I still can't transmute that.

It makes that sound the cube makes when it combines but nothing does it just gives me my scroll and tome back.
hmmm ... that's odd. I just made a new character (amazon) in 1.5b and was able to add both of these skills with no problems. Crit at level 1 and throwing mastery at lvl 2. looking at the apropriate lines in the texts, they look ok as well.

At what level did you try to add them?
Were you useing a class other than amazon? (this shouldn't mater as there is no class specific restringtions for those skills but just in case)

If you would do me a favor and go into [LotH]\data\global\excel
, right click on "cubemain.bin"
, select properties
, and look at the exact size of the file (you want "size" not "size on disk")
it should say " 476 KB (488,396)"
Let me know if you see that or something different.

Either way try re-downloading the file, and unzip it again. let me know if these don't work.

I'm going to do another release from a full clean compile by tomorrow since this relese appears to be cursed ;) (It works for me on two computers but alot of folks seem to be having problems) I'm not at home tonite or I'd do it now. Probly before 3:00 US eastern standard time (thats -5 hours from GMT).

The download on the file center seems a bit weird it striped off part of the name which makes me nervous, luckily the mirror is still up. Get this one

-Quatl
Last edited by Quatl on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy of the Horadrim: Have a taste, contains a full days supply of 0 esential vitamins and minerals.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:26 am

Quatl";p="290241" wrote:The download on the file center seems a bit weird it striped off part of the name which makes me nervous, luckily the mirror is still up. Get this one
The file center mirror is perfectly fine, just re-tested it and it worked without a glitch. Stripping off a part of the filename isn't a problem (it does that only on some browsers) - the archive should be extractable without errors no matter the filename.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 am

Still weird, and folks who are less savy might not be able to figure that out. I asume it's the spaces in the file name that are doing that. If so I'll make future releases without spaces, easy enough to use _'s instead.

-Quatl

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:47 am

Well, the fact that they managed to extract the archive shows that there is no problem ;) I didn't see one comment so far about unknown downloaded file or corrupted archive.

But yes, using underscore instead of space should fix it.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:57 am

onyx";p="290246" wrote:Well, the fact that they managed to extract the archive shows that there is no problem ;) I didn't see one comment so far about unknown downloaded file or corrupted archive.

But yes, using underscore instead of space should fix it.
Thanks for the confirmation Onyx, I'll do the underscore dance in the future just in case. If I ignore it I'm sure someone will eventualy be confused by it, Murphy's Law and all :) I hadn't see the problem before at home, maybe this firefox is a different version :loop:

-Quatl

Jest

Post by Jest » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:31 am

Got a question, how does the tome work exactly?

Im clvl 6, trying to transmute a Spirit Wolf into the tome but it wont go.

I think I'm running 1.5C, but really, how am I to know? Theres no title screen, the zips have the same name (i didnt even know it was a zip, I had to use "Choose Programs" because WinRAR didnt recognize the file type), folder has the same name.
Last edited by Jest on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:48 am

Jest";p="290490" wrote: Got a question, how does the tome work exactly?

Im clvl 6, trying to transmute a Spirit Wolf into the tome but it wont go.

I think I'm running 1.5, but really, how am I to know? Theres no title screen, the zips have the same name (i didnt even know it was a zip, I had to use "Choose Programs" because WinRAR didnt recognize the file type), folder has the same name.
The short answer is that you can add level 6 skills after character level 7.

The way the Tome works with skills is somewhat confuseing. The Tome itself needs a "knowldege level" equal to or greater than the skill level you are trying to add, so for Level 6 skills your tome must have a knowledge level of 6 or higher, (Character level doesn't actualy matter for adding skills, but does for useing the Tome itself.)

Each skill point added increases the level req of the Tome by one. It is possible to make the tome unuseable tempotarily by increasing it's level req above your own level. (I'm looking for a good solution for this, the obvious ones won't work.)

The Tome recipies also reject combines in a few different circumstances (class restrictions for 2-weapon related skills mostly) And will not allow more than 20 points to be added to any one skill.

To sumerize, here are the rules of the Tome:
Do Not allow skill levels greater than 20
Do not allow certain skills to be added for some classes (see readme for a list)
Do not allow a Lvl X skill to be added in Knwledge Level is Less than X
When adding a Skill increase level req by one.
(Tome Level req = Skill points in tome = Kowledge Level)

This is how it should appear, any how. The actual Rules take about 700 lines in cubemain to make it appear this "simple." Before the CubeOps dll plugin it took about 1200 lines and was even more confuseing. Blizzard never intended for the cube to be used for anything as complex as the Tome :) The non-vanilla skill set will have fewer confusions, as it's being designed with the Tome in mind.
--
The filename problem is because there was a space in the filename, which aparently causes some bowsers to drop the rest of the name. Future versions won't have this problem. You can get a preview of [color=00ff00]1.5C[/color] from the anouncements thread if you'ld like (it uses the new nameing convention) The version on the file center is 1.5B

I usualy release versions there a few days before uplading to the 'keep filecenter in case of problems.
-Quatl
Last edited by Quatl on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jest

Post by Jest » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks, I understand it now. Do skills still have synergies? Perhaps you should creat a FAQ if you have time.

Quatl
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Quatl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:34 pm

Jest";p="290569" wrote:Thanks, I understand it now. Do skills still have synergies? Perhaps you should creat a FAQ if you have time.
Yes, synergies and the various damages, ranges etc of skills are unchanged from vanilla (synergies had to be reimplemented but have the same numbers, and assosiations.)

For vanilla skill information you can consult The Arreat Summit Since the skills are the same.

The new skill set will be fully documented though, both in game and in a complete manual. (it's too much work for me to do this for the vanilla skills. Although to be honest I do feel "guilty" about that)

I've increased all displayed level reqs for skill scrolls by 1 for the next release (1.5D) to help reduce confusion.

I really should have done this earlier. Sometimes it's hard to see LotH from the perspective of someone who hasn't seen it before :) I do try to though. Your confusion is definately understandible.

A FAQ would definately be a good idea :) Another thing for my list. I'll try to get one together soon. Thanks for the sugestion.

-Quatl

Return to “Legacy of the Horadrim”