ES 3.00 R6D ported to Diablo 2 1.12a (PC)

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

Berto

Re: ES 3.00 R6D ported to Diablo 2 1.12a (PC)

Post by Berto » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:28 am

Hmm. This is strange.

I just tried to play ES tonight, and I'm getting that same error (Unhandled Exception). I tried what I did above to fix it (Delete save folder, then move the characters .d2s file into it), and it doesn't seem to be working. Strange. I'll try again in the morning, but I figure I post here anyway.

EDIT - Oh yea, and thanks to the responses about the laggyness. I appreciate it :D

EDIT2 - Hmm. Okay. The problem has like, evolved. I'm getting the same error message, but at certain times. I get randomly kicked off occasionally when using my sorceress, getting off a character and then going back on either that one or a different one, etc.

It's pretty annoying. Anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Pukka

Post by Pukka » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 am

That happens to me as well. Except it happens so rarely, that I hardly bothered with it. Sorry I really do not know how to resolve this.

CajunAzn

Post by CajunAzn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:05 am

First off, thx to zinx, Stabby and Pukka for your work. I've wanted to play ES in HD for about 2 years now, and finally I'm able to. So THANK YOU.

I have a small question though. I followed all of Pukka's instruction below after having installed a fresh 1.12a digital version of LOD. Everything ran fine (some lag when initially loading many spell effects and creatures, but that goes away after everything's in memory)

What I want to know is how do I run a 1.13 version of LOD in parallel with 1.12a version for ES. The original ES had the capability to have a 1.13 version in the main Diablo II directory, while keeping the 1.10 files in the ES folder. Is their a away to do that with this version?

As a side question, with Stabby's installer, why is PlugY installed to the main Diablo II folder as well as the ES folder? Is it ok to remove the PlugY files from the Diablo II folder if you don't plan on running LOD with PlugY?

Thanks for your help guys

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:57 am

CajunAzn" wrote:What I want to know is how do I run a 1.13 version of LOD in parallel with 1.12a version for ES. The original ES had the capability to have a 1.13 version in the main Diablo II directory, while keeping the 1.10 files in the ES folder. Is their a away to do that with this version?
You don't.
Or at least, you don't without setting up your own version switcher.
There are version switchers out there but, if I'm interpreting the rules correctly, cannot be linked (or just hosted?) on the PhrozenKeep because it can mess up your install if you don't know what you're doing (mixed match dll's/exe's)
CajunAzn" wrote:As a side question, with Stabby's installer, why is PlugY installed to the main Diablo II folder as well as the ES folder? Is it ok to remove the PlugY files from the Diablo II folder if you don't plan on running LOD with PlugY?
Somewhat of a two part question.
First part - Why is PlugY installed to the main Diablo II folder:
With the default Eastern Sun (1.10), a PlugY install isn't needed since ES uses a version switcher that includes the file modified by PlugY already.
Since the 1.12 version doesn't use a switcher, PlugY must be installed to the Diablo II directory.
Second part - Why is PlugY installed to the ES folder as well
It's not really installed to the ES folder. The install part of PlugY is the patching of D2gfx.dll, the PlugY.dll file is just copied -- semantics, I know but it makes a difference in the technical aspect.
The PlugY.dll file is copied to the Eastern Sun folder because that's where the game is starting in so it treats the es300r folder as the base.

A solution/work around for if you don't want PlugY installed in Diablo II is:
Browse to your Diablo II folder then run RestoreD2gfxDll.exe to remove PlugY.
Change your ES Shortcut from Diablo II.exe or Game.exe to PlugY.exe (Leave everything else alone).
You'll still be 'stuck' with 1.12 however.

If I am wrong about the Version Switcher not being allowed here, I could possibly whip up something that allows you to switch between 1.13 Diablo and 1.12 ES and includes PlugY already. Maybe even use the ES Launcher by tsuru (depending how it handles files).

CajunAzn

Post by CajunAzn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 am

Thx for the quick reply Stabby. Hopefully it's not against the rules to create that little utility- it would really complete this add-on for Eastern Sun players. Nonetheless, thanks for explaining the PlugY installation. I think I'll just leave my installation as is for now, until approval for the version switcher comes in.

CajunAzn

Post by CajunAzn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 pm

I thought I'd just post some additional info for people who are looking to get the absolute best visual settings for ES+MultiRes. This is based on my experience and testing with various graphic settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people might have noticed a lot of stutter when running the MultiRes mod at high resolutions like 1080p which many creatures and spell effects on screen. The frame rates can be drastically improved by setting the render mode to DirectDraw(2D) using the 'D2VidTst.exe'.

DirectDraw also seems to improve 'tile-loading' for the game. In D3D mode, often you'll see the black patches in the terrain as you move around (since game was never programmed with a high res field of view in mind). The delay is much improved when using DirectDraw to the point where I hardly notice it.

Lastly, in full screen mode, D3D seems to produce odd graphical glitches where the bottom of the screen may appear blurred out, or random '3D spikes' seem to project out from the screen. DirectDraw has none of these problems.

All in all, I think Diablo 2 was optimized as 2D game, with the '3D perspective' effect just as a later addition. Therefore it's best to use DirectDraw for smooth performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said however, DirectDraw introduces some problems for modern systems with newer versions of DirectX and 32bit color. (Note: These problems seem to occur only in full screen mode, not windowed)

The first problem many people have noticed is, when launching the game, nothing will display except ascii characters that appear in the top-left corner of the screen in a small black box. It will cycle through the lower and upper case characters which takes a good 2-3 minutes before finally launching the game.

The solution to this problem is simply disabling 'Desktop composition' in the compatibility tab of the Game.exe properties dialog box. (I don't really understand the root cause of this problem, but it's probably related to way Vista/W7 handles the hardware accelerated frame buffer for the Aero interface, which did not exist in XP.)

The second problem with DirectDraw is the 'psychedelic colors' problem once the game has launched, where the game colors will appear 'rainbow-like' and grainy. This problem seems to related to Diablo 2 using earlier DirectX7 DirectDraw calls in 8bit mode, which are not translated properly in 32bit color.

(Edit: For those of you who are interested in the technical details of this problem, The problem is actually caused by Diablo 2 color palette being overridden by explorer.exe call to the WinAPI function 'SetSystemPaletteUse'. More details can be found here: http://blog.macuyiko.com/2009/07/solvin ... urple.html)

There are a couple of workarounds found on the net to the 'psychedelic color' problem, such is killing explorer via batch script before launching D2, or using DxWnd to launch D2 (which takes care of the DirectDraw color mapping), but these are clumsy in my opinion. The best solution is to use the inbuilt compatibility fixes in DirectX which can be enabled via the registry.

For example the registry setting on my system looks like this (the second entry is required if you have a 64bit system):

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Game]
"Name"="Game.exe"
"ID"=dword:483CB8E2
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Game]
"Name"="Game.exe"
"ID"=dword:483CB8E2
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
I'm not sure if the registry setting is the same for all computers, so to be safe, first download and run the DirectDraw Compatibility Tool (Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?nvfsz00hkzudfvu) (VirusTotal Scan: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/rep ... 1289962663), select your Game.exe (in the main Diablo II directory), then hit 'Create reg-file'. This will generate the registry patch which you can then apply for the compatibility fix.

After this fix, the game menu might still appear rainbow like, but once you enter the game, colors will return to normal. Along with disabling Desktop Composition, you can now play ES+MultiRes is smooth full screen mode at 1080p. :D

Hopefully people will find the information useful in improving the play experience for this great mod!
Last edited by CajunAzn on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for the great post! I'll incorporate this into the main post of my Troubleshooting topic.
Also, thanks for including a VirusTotal report. :)
CajunAzn" wrote:I'm not sure if the registry setting is the same for all computers, so to be safe, first download and run the DirectDraw Compatibility Tool (Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?nvfsz00hkzudfvu) (VirusTotal Scan: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/rep ... 1289962663), select your Game.exe (in the main Diablo II directory), then hit 'Create reg-file'. This will generate the registry patch which you can then apply for the compatibility fix.

After this fix, the game menu might still appear rainbow like, but once you enter the game, colors will return to normal. Along with disabling Desktop Composition, you can now play ES+MultiRes is smooth full screen mode at 1080p. :D
You should link to the homepage: http://crappybitter.livejournal.com/tag/ddc_tool
The majority of the site is in Russian, but there's enough English to figure out what you're doing:
"Скачать (download) DirectDraw Compatibility Tool 1.01"

Also, I tried v1.01 out and was going to "translate" it like the v1.0 you linked, but it turns out v1.01 already has English.
Here's the v1.01 VirusTotal report. It has one positive, which likely means it's a false positive, most likely related to the way the files are packed in the exe (the size dropped by half and it includes at least one additional language).

CajunAzn

Post by CajunAzn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:25 am

No problem Stabby, and thanks for updating the link and homepage for the DirectDraw Compatibility tool.

ES+MultiRes really is the 'ultimate version' of Diablo II in my opinion. I've been playing non-stop for the past few days and it looks beautiful on my 27" monitor and runs ultra smooth in DirectDraw mode.

If any of you remember the old advertisements for Diablo II in PC Gamer when the game first came out, they had high resolution screenshots where they zoomed out the terrain graphics to about 1080p and everything looked super crisp and detailed.

This is how Diablo is supposed to played!

Berto

Post by Berto » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Alright guys, I know you're probably sick of hearing about me at this point, but I figure once more post wouldn't hurt :D

Anyway, given CajunAzn's post, I figured I would reinstall ES 1.12 HighRes/PlugY again, all from scratch. So, I uninstalled my current Diablo II/es300r, making sure to save my characters and all.

However, given a fresh install of both Diablo II 1.12 and es300r, followed by ES 1.12 thanks to Pukka's instructions, I am once again getting that same error message (Unhandled Exception nonsense). This is with a blank save file too. I am unable to create any new characters nor can I move over any old ones. I've changed the target in the properties, ran as admin, searched the interwebz... I've done a lot. Nothing seems to work. Not even once. I can't even get into a game.

For some reason, I think it's something to do with compatibility with Windows 7 and what not, however I don't have much basis for that statement.

So, if anyone has experienced the same problem, and knows a fix, let me know, and I will be thankful :D <3

Much <3
Berto

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Does regular Eastern Sun run fine for you?
Where are you installing Diablo II and Eastern Sun to?
Are they the same locations? (just asking!)
What file do you run to load Eastern Sun? (on the shortcut, right click -> properties and tell me all the details it says on the first page)
Are you on Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

I'll upload a copy of my ES v1.12 setup (including MultiRes) for you to try. I will put the link here later.
Here ya go: http://www.mediafire.com/?mp6yrxm8dkk7hxw

Berto

Post by Berto » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:34 am

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:Does regular Eastern Sun run fine for you?
Where are you installing Diablo II and Eastern Sun to?
Are they the same locations? (just asking!)
What file do you run to load Eastern Sun? (on the shortcut, right click -> properties and tell me all the details it says on the first page)
Are you on Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

I'll upload a copy of my ES v1.12 setup (including MultiRes) for you to try. I will put the link here later.
Here ya go: http://www.mediafire.com/?mp6yrxm8dkk7hxw
I have not tried to to run regular Eastern Sun in a while, but the last time I checked it ran fine.
I am installing Diablo II to C:\Program Files\Diablo II, and Eastern sun to C:\Program Files\Diablo II\es300r
I don't believe they are the same location? :?:
The properties of ES v1.12 are as follows:
Target: "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Game.exe" -direct -txt
Start In: "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\es300r\"
[If you need anymore information, let me know]

I am running WIndows 7 32bit.

EDIT - Hmm... Switching in your es300r folder seemed to have worked, more or less. :D I can keep you updated as to how it goes as I play. Any idea what my problem has been?

Thanks! :D

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:24 am

Everything from your details looks fine, Diablo II and ES are installed to the same Diablo II folder (not like Diablo II: C:\Games\Diablo II, ES: C:\Program Files\Diablo II\es300r) and your shortcut is fine.

The only problem I can think of is how did you install the ES1.12 mod when you first did? Was it with my installer?
If so, it MIGHT have been a problem with UAC which is why I always suggest installing Diablo II to a non UAC protected folder like C:\Games.

Berto

Post by Berto » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:53 am

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:Everything from your details looks fine, Diablo II and ES are installed to the same Diablo II folder (not like Diablo II: C:\Games\Diablo II, ES: C:\Program Files\Diablo II\es300r) and your shortcut is fine.

The only problem I can think of is how did you install the ES1.12 mod when you first did? Was it with my installer?
If so, it MIGHT have been a problem with UAC which is why I always suggest installing Diablo II to a non UAC protected folder like C:\Games.
I think you're right. So, I played some more ES before, and everything ran great. I switched over to DirectDraw to make the game more smoothly (As per CajunAzn's post), and was getting some of the problems (Colors screwed up, long time to load game). I fixed the colors messing up, by doing the whole registry thing (Again, by CajunAzn's post). That worked fine. However, when I went to go change the properties of the shortcut to fix the long load time (Disabling Desktop Composition), I was getting more unhandled exception errors.

From this, 2 questions (Hehe, sorry <3):
1. Any ideas on how to fix this? I can try screwing around with it some more, and try to get it to work, hopefully not messing anything else up.
2. Any ideas on how I can "permanently" fix all of my unhandled exception problems? You said before that it was probably due to my UAC problems. Could I perhaps disable that, or even install Diablo II/es300r into a different folder? I feel bad having to constantly come and ask you guys questions, and so it'd be nice it I could actually solve my own problems :D

Thanks again for all your help.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:12 am

Berto" wrote:I think you're right. So, I played some more ES before, and everything ran great. I switched over to DirectDraw to make the game more smoothly (As per CajunAzn's post), and was getting some of the problems (Colors screwed up, long time to load game). I fixed the colors messing up, by doing the whole registry thing (Again, by CajunAzn's post). That worked fine. However, when I went to go change the properties of the shortcut to fix the long load time (Disabling Desktop Composition), I was getting more unhandled exception errors.
Is this with my ES folder I sent you?
Because I switched to DirectDraw (2D) Full Screen just the other day from Direct3D Windowed mode and haven't had any problems. Admittedly I haven't played much (I did a partial run through BloodRaven's Workshop in Hell), but all has seemed well.
Berto" wrote:From this, 2 questions (Hehe, sorry <3):
1. Any ideas on how to fix this? I can try screwing around with it some more, and try to get it to work, hopefully not messing anything else up.
2. Any ideas on how I can "permanently" fix all of my unhandled exception problems? You said before that it was probably due to my UAC problems. Could I perhaps disable that, or even install Diablo II/es300r into a different folder? I feel bad having to constantly come and ask you guys questions, and so it'd be nice it I could actually solve my own problems :D

I would recommend keeping UAC enabled.
It prevents software from writing/modifying files to protected folders unless they have your permission.
If you don't want to re-install Diablo II+ES but avoid any UAC related problems, you can just move the folder. I use to have a non-installed copy of Diablo II on my secondary harddrive because I hated to install from CD.

Earlier you mentioned that my ES folder worked "more or less", what problems are you having? The unhandled exception still?

Berto

Post by Berto » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:21 am

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:
Berto" wrote:I think you're right. So, I played some more ES before, and everything ran great. I switched over to DirectDraw to make the game more smoothly (As per CajunAzn's post), and was getting some of the problems (Colors screwed up, long time to load game). I fixed the colors messing up, by doing the whole registry thing (Again, by CajunAzn's post). That worked fine. However, when I went to go change the properties of the shortcut to fix the long load time (Disabling Desktop Composition), I was getting more unhandled exception errors.
Is this with my ES folder I sent you?
Because I switched to DirectDraw (2D) Full Screen just the other day from Direct3D Windowed mode and haven't had any problems. Admittedly I haven't played much (I did a partial run through BloodRaven's Workshop in Hell), but all has seemed well.
Yes, it is with the same exact ES folder that you sent me. Literally, the only thing I'm changing is disabling desktop composition in the compatibilities tab in properties for the ES v1.12 shortcut. It really baffles me.

Stabby_McTwist"[quote=Berto" wrote:From this, 2 questions (Hehe, sorry <3):

I would recommend keeping UAC enabled.
It prevents software from writing/modifying files to protected folders unless they have your permission.
If you don't want to re-install Diablo II+ES but avoid any UAC related problems, you can just move the folder. I use to have a non-installed copy of Diablo II on my secondary harddrive because I hated to install from CD.

Earlier you mentioned that my ES folder worked "more or less", what problems are you having? The unhandled exception still?[/quote]

Strange. I just moved a copy of the Diablo II folder onto my desktop, to see if it would work. After the folder copied, I ran a new shortcut that I made (Editing the target/start in fields). While again, the game took a while to load, it ultimately worked. So, after that I got that it worked, I tried to change that one setting in properties to get rid of the long load time. No dice. Same unhandled exception.

I mean, was my assumption that the desktop is a "UAC-safe" place to move my folder to wrong?

Also - By "more or less," I was referring to the fact that I hadn't played for very long, and wasn't sure if I would get any errors later on. I've just played on my sorceress, clearing out Chaos Sanctuary, and everything ran beautifully, so my only error is the long load time.

I mean, in the end, it's more annoying than anything. It's not preventing me from playing the game ultimately. It just makes me have to think about when I want to play ES, so that I could run the shortcut early :P

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:45 am

Berto" wrote:Yes, it is with the same exact ES folder that you sent me. Literally, the only thing I'm changing is disabling desktop composition in the compatibilities tab in properties for the ES v1.12 shortcut. It really baffles me.
Berto" wrote:Strange. I just moved a copy of the Diablo II folder onto my desktop, to see if it would work. After the folder copied, I ran a new shortcut that I made (Editing the target/start in fields). While again, the game took a while to load, it ultimately worked. So, after that I got that it worked, I tried to change that one setting in properties to get rid of the long load time. No dice. Same unhandled exception.

I mean, was my assumption that the desktop is a "UAC-safe" place to move my folder to wrong?

Also - By "more or less," I was referring to the fact that I hadn't played for very long, and wasn't sure if I would get any errors later on. I've just played on my sorceress, clearing out Chaos Sanctuary, and everything ran beautifully, so my only error is the long load time.

I mean, in the end, it's more annoying than anything. It's not preventing me from playing the game ultimately. It just makes me have to think about when I want to play ES, so that I could run the shortcut early :P
Desktop is not UAC protected, so that's no problem.

As for the long start up time with DirectDraw (2D) I get that too, but disabling Desktop Composition fixes it for me. Maybe it's a problem with your graphics drivers? Updating them might solve it.
I'll try to play a bit tomorrow and see if I get the problem as well.
When do you get it? As soon as you get ingame? or after a while?

Berto

Post by Berto » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:12 am

Stabby_McTwist" wrote: As for the long start up time with DirectDraw (2D) I get that too, but disabling Desktop Composition fixes it for me. Maybe it's a problem with your graphics drivers? Updating them might solve it.
I'll try to play a bit tomorrow and see if I get the problem as well.
When do you get it? As soon as you get ingame? or after a while?
Alright. That is SUPER strange. I was just typing out my response to you, and wanted to get you the exact scenario of when I receive the error message. So, I changed the properties again (Disabled Desktop Composition), and tried to run it, to log down what happens to write in here.

No error messages, no unhandled exceptions, no long load times. Nothing. Runs fine. Loaded up my sorceress. Fine.

That is really strange. It works fine, apparently! At least as of now. I'll keep everybody up to date as far as error messages goes, but its fine as of now. SWEET!

Thanks a bunch Stabby. Whatever you did, worked great! :P (Although honestly, maybe I just needed a restart? I don't know why, but whatever... I'm not complaining).

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Berto" wrote:
Stabby_McTwist" wrote:Thanks a bunch Stabby. Whatever you did, worked great! :P (Although honestly, maybe I just needed a restart? I don't know why, but whatever... I'm not complaining)
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=56839

In short, last month I had 3 days of "UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS VIOLATION (c0000005)" with Diablo II/Eastern Sun from PlugY that went away by a restart.
I wonder if you had the same? It was right after a Windows Update finished installing (i.e. download -> install -> restart -> update on system start).

Berto

Post by Berto » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:
Berto" wrote:
Stabby_McTwist" wrote:Thanks a bunch Stabby. Whatever you did, worked great! :P (Although honestly, maybe I just needed a restart? I don't know why, but whatever... I'm not complaining)
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=56839

In short, last month I had 3 days of "UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS VIOLATION (c0000005)" with Diablo II/Eastern Sun from PlugY that went away by a restart.
I wonder if you had the same? It was right after a Windows Update finished installing (i.e. download -> install -> restart -> update on system start).
As far as I know, no updates were installed. I don't know. Strange. Anyways, I'm glad its all fixed now. Now I can play ES in amazing high resolution :D

EDIT - Okay, this is really annoying. Sometimes it works, sometimes it gives me Unhandled Exception. It's super annoying. Restarting my computer fixes it every once and a while, but it's still really annoying. I've tried to make a copy of the D2 folder onto my Desktop, and do it through there, but I get the same working sometimes/not working others nonsense.
:cry:

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Berto" wrote:EDIT - Okay, this is really annoying. Sometimes it works, sometimes it gives me Unhandled Exception. It's super annoying. Restarting my computer fixes it every once and a while, but it's still really annoying. I've tried to make a copy of the D2 folder onto my Desktop, and do it through there, but I get the same working sometimes/not working others nonsense.
:cry:
It sounds like there's some underlying problem with your system.
I would suggest backing up whatever you need, formatting your PC and starting fresh... but I know that's not as easy as it sounds for some people.
Beyond that, I would recommend disabling System Restore (Right Click on Computer -> Properties -> System Protection (on the left) -> Highlight your drive -> Configure -> Turn off system protection), some bad stuff has been known to use System Restore to 'resurrect' itself after it was removed, and running full virus and malware scans.

For a good, free Antivirus I suggest Avira, Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials.
Avira has a popup (can be disabled, follow the Windows Vista Home Premium steps), Avast! has become a bit bloated with graphics/visual effects last time I used it, and Microsoft Security Essentials seems to lack some of the finer tuning that you can get with other AVs but none that I think are all that important. I use MSE myself.

For the malware side, I've used Ad-Aware and Spybot Search&Destroy in the past, but have also heard good things about Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Also probably won't hurt to run something like CCleaner and Defraggler, both from Piriform, for cleaning up junk files and defragmenting your harddrive respectively. Also, Recuva from them is great for recovering deleted files.

AdmiralCrackbar
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by AdmiralCrackbar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:11 am

I used to get this exception, and I think I've solved it. All I did was copy all MPQs that were on my CD to Diablo II's base directory and the problem went away :)

Berto

Post by Berto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 am

AdmiralCrackbar" wrote:I used to get this exception, and I think I've solved it. All I did was copy all MPQs that were on my CD to Diablo II's base directory and the problem went away :)
Which MPQ's where there? Plus, I installed it via the Blizzard store website... Think that would make any difference?

EDIT - Also, would you mind maybe elaborating a little bit more on exactly how you fixed your problem? I really want to play Eastern Sun, and this error just keeps getting in the way.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:53 am

Berto" wrote:
AdmiralCrackbar" wrote:I used to get this exception, and I think I've solved it. All I did was copy all MPQs that were on my CD to Diablo II's base directory and the problem went away :)
Which MPQ's where there? Plus, I installed it via the Blizzard store website... Think that would make any difference?

EDIT - Also, would you mind maybe elaborating a little bit more on exactly how you fixed your problem? I really want to play Eastern Sun, and this error just keeps getting in the way.
If you installed the Battle.net/'Digital Download' version (of both, right?), then all the MPQs are already in your directory and v1.12.
Copying files from CD will only cause problems since they'll most likely be older versions.

the_bogan
Champion of the Light
New Zealand

Post by the_bogan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:58 am

CajunAzn" wrote:This is how Diablo is supposed to played!
Only if you're using a max res of 800X600.

Otherwise, it makes it so much easier to play. You can see monsters further away, but they still don't respond until you're in their normal radius.

Piece of cake for ranged players. Yes, I've gone through the entire game using magic arrow. Easy. :( No challenge at all.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 am

the_bogan" wrote:
CajunAzn" wrote:This is how Diablo is supposed to played!
Only if you're using a max res of 800X600.

Otherwise, it makes it so much easier to play. You can see monsters further away, but they still don't respond until you're in their normal radius.

Piece of cake for ranged players. Yes, I've gone through the entire game using magic arrow. Easy. :( No challenge at all.
I play at 1152x864, almost 50% bigger than 800x600, and the monsters still detect me (start moving around, cast, etc). It's not until 1280x960 that monsters start appearing on screen without immediately 'getting ready'. And even then it's only a few, usually around the corners.

I can't say if the same is true for regular Diablo II... and if it's not, then CajunAzn's comment is all the more accurate.

Return to “Eastern Sun”