What runewords do

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: What runewords do

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:01 pm

Actually the spoiler document does have a separate entry for set item socketing under the socketing section. That section is actually VERY explicit as to what recipes apply to what items and what number of sockets they are supposed to grant to each kind. Unless somehow I put the wrong spoiler doc in the file for 2.21a. :)

D2 was always "hardcoded" to accept no more than 1 socket on anything more powerful than a magic item (i.e. rares, uniques, sets). I had to find recipes that circumvented this so that those items could get more.

The recipes should NOT be allowing more than 3 sockets for rares and uniques and 2 sockets for sets. If they are allowing more, this upsets an already questionable level of balance in my mod. ;)

However, I don't have the time to fix this...if indeed it CAN be fixed. I'll just have to trust that many people won't trip across such an exploitable bug. :roll: And I'm still unsure if there IS such a bug. Are you saying that you've achieved 5 sockets on a M'Avinna's...or are you just assuming that it's possible? :?:

As for the magic stone/enchanted stone issue, I wasn't aware of the disconnect between the name displayed in the game and the wording I used in the spoiler document. The spoiler document in many cases uses the wording from the cubemain.txt file in the game that controls recipes, and my wording in that file was a bit "loose," since I knew what I was talking about and it wasn't really intended to be viewed by the general public anyway (so who cares if it didn't make sense ;)). But I'll fix that in the spoiler document to prevent confusion. Thanks for mentioning it. :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Now that the Celestial Tempest skill seems fixed and I have a new game select screen, I'm working on four new offensive (weapon) runewords to supercede Oath of the Endless (which will be reduced in level requirement). These four words will be called:

Wind of Penance
Sun of Rebirth
Desert of Suffering
Snows of Purity

As you might imagine, seasonal runes and the GodsEye rune figure into these, as they did in the previously-most-powerful runewords. They will be included in the spoiler document, and a clue will be placed somewhere in-game.

I will post my proposed powers for these four runewords in this thread when I finish them up, so that I can get commentary on whether they justify their level requirement and are useful enough in Hell difficulty.
Last edited by jbouley on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:51 pm

jbouley";p="129395" wrote:Actually the spoiler document does have a separate entry for set item socketing under the socketing section. That section is actually VERY explicit as to what recipes apply to what items and what number of sockets they are supposed to grant to each kind. Unless somehow I put the wrong spoiler doc in the file for 2.21a. :)
In the spoiler document version I refer to - CubeRecipeSpoilerDoc for 2.20 - nothing is said about sets. Just trust me on this. :)
Are you saying that you've achieved 5 sockets on a M'Avinna's...or are you just assuming that it's possible? :?:
http://www.yonder.de/images/mavina.jpg
Last edited by Yonder on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About Diablo Mods ---> www.yonder.de/es

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:14 pm

[quote=Yonder";p="129416"][quote=jbouley";p="129395"]Actually the spoiler document does have a separate entry for set item socketing under the socketing section. That section is actually VERY explicit as to what recipes apply to what items and what number of sockets they are supposed to grant to each kind. Unless somehow I put the wrong spoiler doc in the file for 2.21a. :)[/quote]

In the spoiler document version I refer to - CubeRecipeSpoilerDoc for 2.20 - nothing is said about sets. Just trust me on this. :)[/quote]

There's the key...you said 2.20. The recipe was added for 2.21a...I made a separate spoiler document for 2.21a...did I accidentally provide the 2.20 spoiler document in the new 2.21a package? :?:

As for the set socketing bug that allows more than 2..what can I say? Blizzard coding doing screwy things to me. I can only hope that the limits are in place for rares and uniques (3 sockets max for them). But maybe the bug is there, too. If so, again, I'll just have to hope that most players take it as "law" that the socket limits are as they should be...and that they don't trip across this exploitable bug.

Five sockets on a set item is awful...I was hesitant to even offer a socketing recipe for sets since you get partial and full set bonuses already...can you please tell me which EXACT recipe you used so that I can see if there's a flaw in how I entered the codes? That would help immensely, and I want to get this mod out this week. If I can close any unreasonable exploits, I'd like to.
Last edited by jbouley on Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:36 pm

Let's take this in a whole other direction...

OK, Yonder, don't worry about giving me the exact recipe you used. I THINK I know what the problem is. I had recipes from early on (before I realized there was generally a 1-socket max for rares and uniques that simply specify any weapon or any armor, and they were set to preserve item powers.

I'm assuming there is a Blizzard bug that allows set items to bypass this semi-coded maximum. So, I have changed those recipes and added a new set so that they are specifically for normal quality normal quality items and hi-quality normal items. Theoretically, this means that the only recipes which will apply to sets will now be the recipe(s) I have for one or two sockets.

Unfortunately, this puts me into a bit of a quandary. I will now need help beta-testing all of the socketing recipes to make sure they work. Thus, 2.21b will be a "beta test" rather than a final version, which sucks in terms of my timing, though it should still be ready this week. But now, I have to make a 2.21c that will be the final version, probably.

This never ends...and frankly, I don't mind telling you all that the recent challenges are making me quite sick of Sanctuary in Chaos and quite eager to move on and leave it behind. This has all taken waaaay longer than it ever should have.

Not any of your faults, by the way, so no one should feel bad about this but me.

People participating in this open beta will need to create characters using Shadowmaster so that they have plenty of gold to buy the ingredients needed for socketing. Hopefully, you can find enough rares, sets and uniques to test their socketing...or hopefully you'll have made a high-enough level character with sufficient room for massive wealth that you can afford to Etherseek the rares, uniques and sets you need. I have little doubt that most of the people interested in beta testing already have read the recipe spoiler document and know the "secret" to Etherseeking. ;)

Stay tuned...I'll let y'all know when the beta is ready.
-Jeff Bouley

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:41 pm

[quote=jbouley";p="129438"]This never ends...and frankly, I don't mind telling you all that the recent challenges are making me quite sick of Sanctuary in Chaos and quite eager to move on and leave it behind. This has all taken waaaay longer than it ever should have.[/quote]

Time to move on to RotOG? :)
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:48 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="129439"][quote=jbouley";p="129438"]This never ends...and frankly, I don't mind telling you all that the recent challenges are making me quite sick of Sanctuary in Chaos and quite eager to move on and leave it behind. This has all taken waaaay longer than it ever should have.[/quote]

Time to move on to RotOG? :)[/quote]

Righty-O, my friend...you've hit the nail on the head.

I'll do a few beta versions of 2.21b if necessary to bug-fix...but 2.21c will be the definitive end of SiC...no reprieves...no re-consideration.

I'll leave y'all with the best SiC I can for patch 1.09...but after that, it's on to RotoG for 1.10 and I'm never looking back. :-|
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:31 pm

About the spoiler docs: As SiC 2.20 is running on JEB's server I was never seduced to read any other document than spoiler doc 2.20. :)

And just for completion: I used this recipe to socket Mavina's:

Four to Six Sockets
- Mechanist’s Weird + perfect gem + weapon or armor = 5-socket version of item

Power Preservation Socketing Recipes:
For MAGIC items, use the same ingredients in the basic recipes above, plus add two runes (of any type)

Jeff, why don't you just stop modding SiC? Is it just that one druid skill? Most people I know don't play druids. I do, but I think the dru is not so bad as he is at the moment. In my current built he's got at least 3 good skills: Dire wolves for physical damage, Bloodstorm Touch for lit dam and Storm of the suns for fire dam. I think that's more than any LoD elemental dru could ask for. My dru made it to hell - in HC - pretty comfortable. Of course he is not as strong as the amazone, but hey: Who is as strong as the amazone? She's the best char around, cause she combines two decisive features: Long distance fighting + leech! No char will ever match the amazone if she keeps these two features.

So: If you want to move on to your next modding challenge for 1.10, I'd say: Go ahead.
Last edited by Yonder on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:31 am

I'm already in the midst of the modding, and it's more than just the Druid skill...it's also the need to make socketing do what it's supposed to do (there are enough exploitable bugs already ;))...and the need to make the highest-level runewords more appropriate and powerful enough to make sense.

Those are the only things I'm working on. Sure, there's frustration, and it's cemented my resolve to go no further with my mod after this...but I have to do something to make sure 2.21b (or 2.21c if necessary) work right enough that JEBs can upgrade from 2.20 and be done with it, since there are things I think need fixing from 2.20...and currently, everyone is stuck with that on {No mentioning of private realms - consider this a warning}...since 2.21a isn't solid enough for use yet there.
:)
-Jeff Bouley

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:48 am

OK, if you're already in this thread, you probably aren't averse to spoiler information.

But if you don't want to know all about the four new runewords, walk away now. ;)

OK, so, I will tell you what is needed to make these runewords and what the powers are, and you can tell me if they are worth the effort of the runes involved (bear in mind that I've lowered the level requirements of the four seasonal runes to 50 and the level requirement of the GodsEye rune to 65).

Also, if you've been spending as much time as I think many of you have making runewords, you already know what powers the respective runes add the the items on their own...I will only list the powers of the words themselves, not the individual runes.

Finally, all four of these runewords work on weapons (any weapon).

Wind of Penance
(GodsEye rune, GodsEye rune, Autn rune)
Damage bonus 250%, +3 damage per level, knockback, 35% chance to cast level 20 Twister on hitting, 35% chance to cast level 20 Iceblade Guardian when hit, level 20 Aura of Missile Warding, indestructible.

Sun of Rebirth
(GodsEye rune, GodsEye rune, Spri rune)
Damage bonus 250%, +3 damage per level, regeneration = 10, 35% chance to cast level 20 Warhawk on hittting, 55% chance to cast level 20 Holy Bolt when hit, level 13 Redemption aura, indestructible.

Desert of Suffering
(GodsEye rune, GodsEye rune, Sumr rune)
Damage bonus 250%, +3 damage per level, prevent monster heal, 30% chance to cast level 20 Fissure on hitting, thorns damage of 3 pts per level, level 13 Conviction aura, indestructible.

Snows of Purity
(GodsEye rune, GodsEye rune, Wint rune)
Damage bonus 250%, +3 damage per level, freeze target = 8, 45% chance to cast level 20 Arctic Lances on hitting, 30% chance of casting level 13 Dragonfangs when hit, level 18 Sanctuary aura, indestructible.

NOTE: Showing that I do listen, the weapon damage bonus is the same as for 5 ohm runes, the standard that was suggested as "suitable" in the discussion of the socketed M'Avinna's bow. ;)

EDIT:

I plan on testing my mod changes over the next couple days. My aim is to have 2.21B ready on Monday night. So, if the four runewords above aren't to "power players'" liking, it may be too late to up-power or de-power power them after the beginning of the week...
Last edited by jbouley on Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:56 pm

[quote=jbouley";p="130016"]So, if the four runewords above aren't to "power players'" liking...[/quote]
Ah, this could be an invitation to comment on the runewords. :)

Well, I don't know. The only physical attacker I play is the amazon, and in order to judge these runewords I must know if the cast-on-attack spells might perhaps spoil my game. To be honest, I think cast-on-attack is rather bothering than helpful. In most cases the spell that's triggered on impact is too weak to improve the amazon's killspeed, but its lightshow lags the computers and disturbs my sight. This can be a problem as I play HC only and don't like to be a danger for myself. :)

Apart from that, the runewords look nice. 250% enh. dam plus 3 to max dam/lvl should make fine bows!
Last edited by Yonder on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:27 am

Hard for me to say. Dragonfangs is a modified, higher-level version of Teeth. You know what Holy Bolts is, and Fissure, too (if you've ever played a druid)

Arctic Lances is frost nova...and I doubt that would mess you up much because it's gone pretty quickly.

Iceblade Guardian is a variation on chilling armor.

Warhawk is like the Blessed Hammer skill, but the animatoin is a skeletal bird, not a little hammer.

Desert of Suffering wouldn't be much of a "light show." Fissure lasts a while, but the special effects are mostly ground-based and shouldn't obsure your view.

Warhawk, Dragonfang, Holy Bolts and maybe Arctic Lances...well, they could be distracting I suppose.

But hell, these skills are pretty high level. I would think that would make them useful for the most part. ;)

But any additional comments are welcome. Should I reduce it to no more than one skill per item...and maybe have one or two with NO skills?

The clock is ticking, my friends... :)
Last edited by jbouley on Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley

Yonder
Champion of the Light

Post by Yonder » Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:19 pm

To quote Jean Luc Picard: "Make it so". :)

Return to “Arcanum Archives”