Soliciting opinions on 1.10 and my mods' futures

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Soliciting opinions on 1.10 and my mods' futures

Post by jbouley » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:20 pm

For those who are still hanging around this forum, I would like to put out a question:

Would you rather I kicked my work on the new mod (Rise of the Old Gods) for 1.10 back into gear, or would you like me to try to convert Sanctuary in Chaos to 1.10 first?

I ask because the more I read about these new files, the more I think it may be a colossal task to convert SiC. With so many new items, recipes, etc. in the mod already, and with some of my oldest files now lost (and only now in the mod because I keep building on previous patches), I fear that the potential for bugs and the need for testing will make it almost a "starting from the beginning" kind of affair. And if that's going to be the case, maybe I'm better off just moving on.

But I want to TRY to do the right thing by those who've been following my mod and playing it for a while, so I figured I'd at least solicit your opinions on this matter.

Not really interested in making this a poll with actual votes...I'd rather hear what y'all have to say instead.

By the way, I should point out that many things in SiC will probably reappear in identical or similar (or even improved) forms in ROTOG. It's just that there is absolutely no chance your SiC characters will be compatible with it. It is, at least theoretically, possible that current SiC characters would be playable in an SiC for 1.10 mod.

Let the discussion begin...:)
Last edited by jbouley on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

etomlinson

Re: Soliciting opinions on 1.10 and my mods' futures

Post by etomlinson » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:03 pm

Since it will be a near rebuild from scratch, I think that its probably for the best that SiC pass quietly from the scene. With the quality of your work, I for one, am looking forwad to ROTOG.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:41 am

A clean break seems best to me as well. Mod players are already going to have to switch back and forth between 1.10 (beta or not) and 1.09 on a regular basis. Blizzard provided us with a .bat file to revert, and this version will send everything the other way:

xcopy /y /s /i save "109 Backup\save"
del /q patch_d2.mpq
xcopy /y /s /i "110 Beta Backup" .

I called this one SwitchTo110.bat. :roll:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:57 am

Agreed. Sanctuary Chaos is a well-stablished 1.09 mod at this point. A simple conversion of it to 1.10 may not be justifiable, as we can switch back and forth between D2 versions, as Myhrginoc mentioned.

It would be best to continue with Rise of the Old Gods in my opinion.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:37 am

I suspected the consensus would run in this direction (though I'll give it a few more days to make sure ;)).

So, I decided to get back to graphics work on ROTOG, at least, in preparation for misc.txt, armor.txt and weapons.txt file changes. Good thing, too...I discovered a HUGE chunk of my recent 2x3 inventory images were in "true color" instead of 256 colors. Fixed them all (I think), but THAT would have been a terrible thing to discover after inserting them all. 8-O
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:36 pm

Holy Bouley! What is Sanctum Arcanum anyway? :mrgreen:

Hmm, if you convert SiC first, it means we'll have to wait for RotFL that much longer. Besides, converting will take longer than starting over when it comes to monster stuff. ;)
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:36 pm

@Brother Laz

Yeah, the monster stuff (and skills/missile, too) were dissuading me from an SiC conversion big-time. I think items and recipe wouldn't be a HUGE issue, but there's be so much re-testing I'd have to do...

And with ROTOG, the only monster stuff I've done so far are token changes. From what I've heard, that should still be relatively unchanged from 1.09, so I haven't lost any work there (I hope).

Love the nickname you've given my new mod (ROTFL)...never noticed how close the two acronyms are. I hope people won't laugh at the mod when I finally release it. ;)

EDIT:

Oh, and as for the change in the forum name (and eventually the site), I figured that with my main pre-1.10 mod and new 1.10 mod having such widely different names, maybe I ought not to have a site and forum with a name so closely tied to a mod I'm retiring. ;) Sanctum was close enough to Sanctuary for recognition's sake. As for the Arcanum part, the Doctor Strange comic book from Marvel Comics had already taken Sanctum Santorum long ago...and I don't want to be sued. ;) :P
Last edited by jbouley on Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley

Max-Violence
Paladin
Location: ZzzzZZZzzzzzzZ?ZZzzzzZ?Zzzzzzzz?...zzzzzzz?zzzZZZzzz...

Post by Max-Violence » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:23 am

If converting SiC would only take a month or so, I'd say convert, but from what I've gathered from the posts thus far, that ain't gonna happen :D So, I say let SiC rest in pieces.

BTW, JB, did you ever get a "working" version of SiC 2.21 out to the masses? That might be a good idea instead of converting/ditching SiC altogether. That way, those who want to play SiC can (via the 1.09 -> 1.10 and 1.10 -> 1.09 switching batches). Just an idear.
SiC 2.21 is out finally! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:07 pm

I'll try one last time to get a "working" SiC 2.21 out before I install the beta patch 1.10...but it likely will still have bugs. I'm thinking I won't likely be able to fix the treasure drop bug in the time I have available lately...but I will try to get a proper, working, updated 2.21 out...or at least most working, I hope.
-Jeff Bouley

Madness

Post by Madness » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:17 am

personaly, JB continue work on SIC, i love it and havn't even passed hell yet, i'm not a hardcore 24/7 player but i enjoy it much.
Ma[fade]dness.......[/fade]?

[sub][fade]I am legally insane.[/fade][/sub]

BJ

Post by BJ » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:45 am

Agreed. SiC is good enough as it is :), and no conversion to 1.10 is needed.

(of course, one last crack at 2.21 is appreciated.)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:19 am

Taht "last crack" at 2.21 is being held up due to heavy workload and very serious illness in my family (well, my wife's...but that makes 'em my family ;))

But I do still plan to release 2.21...no promises as to whether the treasure drop bugs will be fixed, since I still don't know when, how or why they started at all. :roll:
-Jeff Bouley

Return to “Arcanum Archives”