Holy Palidin is overpowered

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

No votes

Total votes: 0

pacmania90

Holy Palidin is overpowered

Post by pacmania90 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:56 pm

Really, he is. With fully synergized lionheart, you get 1000% ed automatic max block and over 500% enhanced defense. When you pair that with a fully synergised vindicate, you get another 1000% ed off cursed monsters and autoheal, because your defense is too high to be hit.

Ring of light does insane damage when stacked, and holy trap=instadeath on all summoning ubers.

Finally, and most of all, the holy paladin can use unholy skills granted by items. This means you can have sahdowform with 40%dr and resists, dark king for hundreds of stat points, and blood-flash for intsa-heal.

Expect a guide to come out soon.

Baerk Konnevala
Champion of the Light

Re: Holy Palidin is overpowered

Post by Baerk Konnevala » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Actually Dark King can only grant a holy paladin about +100 and maybe a little more to all stats. Unholy paladins get over 4 times that due to self psynergy and the fact they can actually pump it. Secondly the damage boost and healing effect of Vindicate negates your holy paladin's ability to use retribute and retaliate while it is active (which means you will not be enjoying an uber smash spree gained from the damage bonus with retaliate). Also it takes a lot of time to super stack ring of light anyways for damage (which means if you are up against a dangerous mob without an effective holy shield up you are toast before you could even get it off anyways).

Besides barbs have hawk talons to perform the same stunt as your holy trap. ;) Besides... druid fire fountain does the same massive trap deal.

Also the self psynergy of a fully maxed arcane strike gives even more defense rating than lionheart (at 725% total character defense).
Last edited by Baerk Konnevala on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Incompetent
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Incompetent » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:12 am

Yup. There are basically two ways to play a holy melee paladin: the conventional approach, which is to use a meaty 2H weapon and smash stuff with Retaliate, and the metalhead approach, which is to get a shield, lots of armor and Vindicate, and aim almost never to be hit. The latter approach can eventually be quite powerful, but it's reliant on oskills to have a good melee attack, so it can be quite tedious getting to that stage. Also, it takes a while to overcome Lionheart's velocity penalty, which makes fighting ranged monsters a chore if you use close-range attacks alone. The former is much quicker to kill things early on, and probably later as well once you have Plague and a good alternative attack, but in turn is more exposed to physical damage than the metalhead. Neither of them has any special protection against the elements, and Lionheart-induced slowness is a problem when it comes to dodging fireballs, but the turtle does at least have a shield.

I agree on the use of unholy skills though. The whole split-tree thing is a powergamers' dream, because you can be sure they'll load up on tasty buffs from the other side even when normal players can't.
Last edited by Incompetent on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baerk Konnevala
Champion of the Light

Post by Baerk Konnevala » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:24 am

Even with an uberquest charm granting shadowform it still doesn't change the fact there's a level 15 charge containing runeword of it (which is pretty much as good as the level 20 shadowform you get from an uberquest charm with a ton of +skills).

Besides... with the fact there's all the psynergies and the fact you can't actually dump points into those uberquest charm darkside skills the unholy skills will only be shadows of their glory for the holy paladin anyways (I already made it clear that a holy paladin only gets a quarter strength dark king)

jedimaster86
Champion of the Light

Post by jedimaster86 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:20 am

I don't think my holy paladin is crazy overpowered. I am kind of a hybrid, although I tend to lean toward the caster side a bit more. Basically, I use the caster tree (or most of it, mostly Wrath and Holy Trap - Searing Orb if I don't need the AoE), and the plague retaliator part, but I don't really use the other melee skills because I'd then have to deal with more hotkeys and spell timers. Also, the recent changes to holy armor was a hit in my side, so yeh. (I'll have to try and get some grail points in there maybe, or get more +skills).

It's pretty good gameplay and I can't just go to sleep when playing a holy paladin (unlike some other characters), so therefore I don't consider it too overpowered. :)

(Also, it's a bit different for me cause I'm in a special circumstance being in the recent tournament, so some of those mentioned skills I don't have because they are banned - ie shadowform, dark king, etc)
Last edited by jedimaster86 on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PopizzdioJazz
Champion of the Light

Post by PopizzdioJazz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:45 am

ok, now.
i didn't use single skill pacmania89 here mentioned.
my conclusion is: holy paladin is overpowered. and i've written about that some time ago.

max retaliate and retribute just so you can outmax blessed life, walk softly and carry a big hammer, use holy insanity, pick plague, and poison/permastun+knockback everything in 3 screens radius.

you REALLY don't need that dmg boost from lionheart and vindicate. they get killed fast even without it. and dark king would be nice but you don't need that either cause you have enough stats already since you use a big hammer -> no need for dexterity and energy
i think, there for i don't know for sure...

Return to “Mods By Laz”