New to mod

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

No votes

Total votes: 0

leon37066

New to mod

Post by leon37066 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:52 am

Just recently got this profile just got couple question

1. Should i just lvl a char like normal starting off or should i really focus on the lvl n att. quest

2. I notice this mod does not have shared stash like many mods ive played is there a way to mule stuff to a char

3. starting char is a warrior.....would u recommend something else...

Thanks for any help you can give n please dont be rude. :)

oneillz808
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by oneillz808 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:16 am

starting off.

internet multiplayer game.

yeah, ranged.

alldogship

Re: New to mod

Post by alldogship » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:20 am

Note that I'm currently starting my second character.

1. For the first time, I really suggest doing up to the attribute challenge 1 and forget about all the other challenges. Careful at the level limit, don't do it at your last level. I went up 8 levels trying to get my class charm. Then if you feel confident, try getting the charms in the uberlevels.

2. Search for something called PlugY (windows only). The current version of median is compatible with it. Just don't share too much and do not dupe crafting components (bad randomness).

3. Yes, use a random generator to decide what character you will use :P. Just look at the character builds sticky to get ideas for your class and don't forget, there is no such thing as skill point challenge.

Logger_120
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Logger_120 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 am

1) Ignore the Level Challenges. Attempt the 400 Attribute Challenge and possible the 600 since you are playing a Barbarian but make sure to max Mountain King for the bonus to attributes. You will have 1205 total points with the quest bonuses so you can spend you points early to help easy your way. Make sure you start saving at clvl 40 so you will have the 400 points by clvl 80 (the max level). Also make sure you start trying to collect the charm around clvl 75 in case you have bad luck and need a few runs to get the one for your class. Make sure to do the charm runs on a low playersx setting so you don't level up too much.

2) PlugY works with Median so you can download and install it yourself. Read the readme so you dont mess anything up.

3) The Barbarian is a great starting character because it pretty easy to do the 400 and 600 AC with maxed Mountain King. I reccommend the throwing skills. There are some guides in the stickies. The poison thrower is a very solid build make sure you plan for dealing with poison immunes (Lion stance is great until you canget Wolf stance which is the 400 AC bonus skill)

Smiling Hobo
Champion of the Light

Post by Smiling Hobo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:19 am

1.) I suggest you attempt at least the 400 point attribute challange, though the 600 point challange is also not an unattainable feat for an untwinked character...I don't sugest trying the level challanges yet, however. They are a bit harder and may require some prior experience/twinkage.

2.) Download PlugY if you want a shared stash, though don't go crying to Laz if PlugY doesn't get along with Median and it crashes and burns...Median was not designed for use with PlugY, and certain PlugY featres cause problems. However, if you want a shared stash, PlugY is the only way. If you want to mule without the shared stash, have a friend help you xfer via a TCP/IP game or over Open B.net.

3.) I recommend the throwing barbarian or the hermit druid...I do not, however, recommend the sorceress as a starting character. She can be drastically underpowered if you don't plan out her skills/gear/stats wisely (though if you do plan ahead, she can be a powerhouse of elemental pwntage. :D).

*Nibbles on kitten*

leon37066

Post by leon37066 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 am

Wow thanks for all the imput.....I read everyone notes and yall all same almost the same thing :) which is good....ok well thanks guy

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:27 pm

leon37066";p="368749" wrote:2. I notice this mod does not have shared stash like many mods ive played is there a way to mule stuff to a char
Yes: download PlugY yourself and install it. That shared stash which other mods have is PlugY, they just include it with the mod download. I didn't include it because it has its fair share of bugs (then again, most of those other mods make PlugY look like flawless software).
leon37066";p="368749" wrote:3. starting char is a warrior.....would u recommend something else...
There are no 'useless' characters, some are just less straightforward than others. The necromancer, charm druid, and sorceress may require some thinking to plan out, and are therefore wholly unsuitable for most players.

Smiling Hobo";p="368761" wrote:2.) Download PlugY if you want a shared stash, though don't go crying to Laz if PlugY doesn't get along with Median and it crashes and burns...Median was not designed for use with PlugY, and certain PlugY featres cause problems.
Actually, PlugY itself is badly bugged. I've merely blocked some features to avoid the most serious bugs (otherwise I'll get the blame when their characters get corrupted), but the bugs related to the shared stash are unavoidable, because the shared stash is the whole reason why people use PlugY and blocking it would be very unpopular.

The mods that do include PlugY seem to just ignore the bugs and hope everything will go well. I don't believe in prayer as a method of reducing bugs, and therefore I made PlugY optional. :D
Last edited by Brother Laz on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

rickcarson
Paladin

Post by rickcarson » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:05 pm

Brother Laz";p="368831" wrote:I don't believe in prayer as a method of reducing bugs
Prayer works, even for bug finding!

(True story)

My very first experience with databases, I was called up by a friend who worked for a computer support company who would occasionally pass on some overflow work. Mike described the problem (manufacturing companies billing database went down). I said to him "but Mike, I don't know anything about databases", he said "that's okay, just hold the fort for a while until one of our experts who are working on even more critical problems becomes available".

So I drive to this other city, and wander in with a copy of "Access for Dummies" under my arm. I knew a bit of VB, and I pottered around in the code, read some of the chapters, tried standard trouble shooting techniques. Nothing worked.

After four hours, I gave up, and offered up a prayer.

Almost instantly, I had the answer, the very specific details of the real problem. And here's the thing, in order to come up with that solution, I'd have had to understood databases, and I didn't, because I'd never been near one before.

So I tried it (nothing to lose at that point), it worked, I tweaked the settings to make sure it could never happen again. The client was happy, Mike was happy, and I was happy ...

... until I realised that when you bill by the hour, divine inspiration hurts the bottom line! D'oh!!! ;-)

odin9001

Post by odin9001 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm

1. Really depends on if you are a good Diablo player. I would attempt the Att. challenge of 400 points and I would try for either the lvl 15 or 20 Tran Athula or both level challenges. I am personally on my first real character and did lvl challenge pretty easy. If you can beat Chaos Sanctuary and Throne Room of the normal game on Hell with /players 8 Tran Athula will be no problem and the attribute challenge I can't really speak on except I'm doing it myself and I've still been going strong.

2. Just use plugY. Pretty simple and I've never used it till this mod. Works great.

3. Starting character for me was a scorpion blade assassin. Then a dual sword barb that used fortress. Both were able to complete Tran Athula at lvl 15 within about 40 to 50 mins. The Assassin was a little faster at it than the barb and her blink ability made it 10x easier, but the barb's fortress adds a lot of extra damage to the battle. If you are going paladin be sure you like to block. I would for a paladin suggest going holy. 1 being I've only made a holy and 2 retribution rocks. You can take down a group of 7-9 zons in Tran Athula easily if you have enough dex to hit them. Problem though with paladin is he blocks TOO much. I spent half my time with that paladin in Tran Athula just blocking that annoying arrow move w/e it's called. I right now am working on a thrower barb. Easy build just work on throwing skills and def spirit for bosses if you need them. Also your axes will pierce enemies and stun them for a good time. 120 att points into the att quest and I've not complained about it being hard at all. Though I'm also lvl 39 in act 3 so that might have something to do with it lol.

Hope this helps ya some. Just go slow and kill everything you see move. Also one last word of advice. Don't lead too many mobs and then get stuck. They seem to follow you forever and will quickly mob you if you aren't careful.

MinionOfBoredom

Post by MinionOfBoredom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:09 am

What I tend to do is make two of each character, whether it be for this or for cLoD or for...hell, any game that requires you to plan out a build.

The first is one to learn the basics, and get acquainted with the character...by the end of the road for the first character, I usually have a much better understanding of the playstyle for him (or her.)

This mod, for example, my first character was a Bowazon...I stayed away from the attribute/level challenges; rather, I just played through the acts and difficulties and did some uber levels here and there.

My second character was another Bowazon. This time, I had a much more natural feel to her skills and style, and was thus able to do the Level 10 challenge with relative ease and patience.

I'm in the process of the 1k attribute challenge with her, at the moment. ;)

Return to “Mods By Laz”