So... buyable runes

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

No votes

Total votes: 0

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: So... buyable runes

Post by pza » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:15 pm

i'm not trying to convert you, i'm only trying to give my opinions about the topic. and the reasons why i think so.

i dont think there is a need for a gold sink at all. if you have plenty of gold, you just might want to stop picking up every single gold pile. when i played my meleesorc with berith she always had too much gold. and then i stopped picking it at all. i see no problem there. then, one day i found a xar and a couple of days after that i found another xar. and all of a sudden i had only to find a sacred crystal sword to make triune (which was my dream item for my meleesorc since it came out). it took quite a time to find that damned crystal sword (i've played 7 or 8 chars to 120 in the meanwhile) and then i finally could make it. my dream went true. (and - i didn't need any rune buying or whatever.) but what i really wanted to point out, is that the sacred crystal sword was superior and costs me a big amout of gold everytime i have to repair it. i started picking up gold piles again, but since they're now much lower than with berith, i keep on running out of gold.

my question is: do we really need a true goldsink? are we really needed to use up all of our gold, while even using RVP, so that the gold lasts even longer?

no we aren't. and again, my opinion is, mercs would not be used anymore. they simply cost to much to revive, since we need the gold to spend on runes.
[align=center] oh man - median2008 is awesome... thanks laz and his helpers...

[color=F0E68C]The New Area of Median![/color]

[color=bb5500]The ultimate [/color][color=ee2200]BLOODWITCH[/color] [color=bb5500]Guide[/color]

[color=000000]i, myself, have to admit: i have QQed until annoying laz. i'm a [/color][color=aa0000]sinner.[/color]
[/align]

Baerk Konnevala
Champion of the Light

Post by Baerk Konnevala » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Pza... you are again trying to force your farming fun level factors on others. While you may have no trouble farming fauztenville for runes there are others that out right hate it. Buying runes will give people an extra path for getting runes. They can farm em slowly in any general area (but of course this isn't full speed farming), go specifically to fauztenville for quick and heavy rune drops if they can handle the fighting, and with buying it will give those who don't like killing monsters for runes (just as I hate killing monsters for sacreds) the option to buy the runes instead.

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pza » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:41 pm

i don't farm fauztinville!!

i've been there 1 or 2 times in terror and 1 time in destruction!!!

getting runes doesn't require ANY farming. they require playing the mod normally!

[color=bb5500]The ultimate [/color][color=ee2200]BLOODWITCH[/color] [color=bb5500]Guide[/color]

[color=000000]i, myself, have to admit: i have QQed until annoying laz. i'm a [/color][color=aa0000]sinner.[/color]
[/align]

aerial
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by aerial » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:57 pm

But destruction fauztinville is grat source of runes. You cant find lets say 3x high rune from single boss, in other quests, on terror and especially in regular areas. But i understand ppl frustration since this level is hard and there is difference between terror and destruction."Dont farm destrucion fauztinville because you can find all runes on terror" - yes, but it takes ages. Not everyone wants to play few weeks to find last rune missing for runeword - in fauztinville (destruction) its lot faster.

But as for buyble runes - its not good idea and there is many reasons wich were mentioned before.
I think new recipes could solve the probem, brilliant shards => high runes, but lots of it, maybe another higher shard and recipes with it.
Last edited by aerial on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::::: my median videos :::::

JohnApricot

Post by JohnApricot » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Brother Laz";p="369269" wrote:
Datharaur";p="369268" wrote: By the way... I realised that making runes sell for a high amount of gold would also cause the merchants to buy them for a high amount of gold. Sell an Eld, get 25K gold. Whoops.
Really, this doesn't seem like that big of a problem to me assuming prices are set well. If I were to personally set the prices for runes, I'd set it to around =ReqLvl^3.55, or Just under 5k for El/Eld, around 9k for Tir/Nef, and 3.37mil for a Zod (highest rune I can imagine making sellable); which means, what? If you find an El in act one, you can go gamble one or two things, Tir/Nef a couple more. It's a high sell price, but nothing that would break the game. By the time you get high enough level to find a Zod or Cham, you could sell it to repair all your gear and resurrect your merc, or buy runes a couple tiers down, which, to me, makes sense given those runes' rarity. Of course, you run into a plethora of problems with giving NPCs higher level runes, but I honestly doubt that's what you(Laz) meant in the first place.

pza
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pza » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:25 pm

i don't think i'm sort of lucky, but sometimes i get 2-3 ruens higher than Lo from one kurast run... and i don't need to repair my stuff everytime i find such a rune.

[/align]

Skivverus
Champion of the Light

Post by Skivverus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:19 am

Count me swayed by Dath and JohnApricot's points - though regarding the latter I think I should point out that there's a 25k gold cap on what the merchants will pay you for your stuff, so selling a rune isn't necessarily going to get you that sort of thing.

Also, if runes are going to be sold or gamble-able, which merchant(s) will sell them (well, okay, the latter case is obvious)?

Anthology

Post by Anthology » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:16 am

:twisted: kurast 3k is where i get all my
-Gold
-Sacred sets
-Runes

Why?
-Fast to clear
-Sacred sets are always fun to find!
-With crowd control you can just run in a circle gather a huge mob and kill them all at once :o
Maybe have random runes el-zod appear in npc's selling as if they somehow found it hidden away?

not to mention i was a new median player and did level/ attribute challenges with an untwinked unholy paladin with the same gear from lvl 30 or 40 all the way thru 120 :-| (saying uberquests is only for plugy users.. shame on you! whoever said it.. lol, by helping people out on hamachi with various things ive managed to find xar runes, sacred sets, and uniques with that same untwinked pally) and no i dont have plugy
Last edited by Anthology on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moja
Paladin

Post by Moja » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:54 am

I don't see a problem with it as long as high runes are extremely expensive and skyrunes are unbuyable... Instead of complaining about people getting -% vendor prices, why not just treat that stat as a different form of "crafting points", and require above max gold for the higher runes?

A good formula for cost is (X)*(R^N).
X is the base cost (cost of an El); R is the rate of increase (higher R means faster climbing prices, and less effective -% vendor prices); N I just use the rune #, el = 1, tir = 3, zod = 33.

I recommend cost = 200 * 1.5^N. I think the max gold a player can hold is around 4 Mil so I'll use that as a breakpoint (if it's higher then a player can buy 1 rune higher...)

-0% vendor prices

max rune = gul @ 3.3 mil

-50% vendor prices

max rune = ohm @ 3.78 mil

-80% vendor prices

max rune = sur @ 3.4 mil

-95% vendor prices (possible?)

max rune = cham @ 2.87 mil
or
max rune = zod @ 4.3 mil

In order to avoid people getting insane gold from rune sales, can't you make all runes have the "starting item" property (sell for 1 gold)?

Incompetent
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Incompetent » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:45 am

[quote=Brother Laz";p="369077"]I'll probably make the lower runes buyable... the only question is, what is there to prevent people from stacking -95% vendor prices, buying a few billion Els at 100 gold each, then cubing them up to Xar? It would be utterly boring, but if this is what it takes, people will do it...[/quote]

I know there are some committed powergamers out there, but I refuse to believe anyone would buy 70 million million runes and then use the cube that number of times. (For comparison, the oldest known Homo erectus remains are about 60 million million seconds old.)

The selling runes issue is more serious, though. The only solution I can think of is to let players buy some expensive bauble that can be cubed into a rune. Because there are rune downgrade recipes, you wouldn't need a bauble for every rune - having every fifth rune or so available in this way would still be useful.

Return to “Mods By Laz”