[old version] Median 2 S.E. bugs and feedback thread

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:03 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="255381"]
It is unfixable for the moment. I've had this bug in Demon Trip 1 and 2, Acid Reign, Median, Median 2 and now M2SE and I have no clue what's causing it.

[/quote]
Ok had a peak :roll:
Whats aousing it is town nihlathak in monststs.txt has same id as hostile nihlathak in superuniques.txt (in unmedded hostile nihlathak in superuniques has id "nihlathak boss", this is what you must have changed).

Solution
In monstats.txt row nihlathak hcidx 514, change id ro nihlathak2 then in monpreset.txt row 178 change nihlathak to nihlathak2.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:37 pm

Hmm... actually, I didn't touch Nihl's row in monpreset.txt, and I don't think I'd make the same mistake twice, especially since in DT1 times I didn't even know what monpreset.txt was.

I'll look at it, but for now, I'm unable to actually test anything. So, the fix will have to wait for a while.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Re: Median 2 Special Edition bugs and feedback thread

Post by Volf » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:49 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="255412"]
Hmm... actually, I didn't touch Nihl's row in monpreset.txt
[/quote]
No but you did touch nihlathak row in superuniques.txt and monpreset reads from both superuniques.txt and monstats.txt so since you changed "Nihlathak Boss" in to Nihlathak and that is the id of the town version defined in monpreset the superunique with same id will spawn instead.

Hm actually forget my last post. All you really need to do is change the id in superuniques.txt from "Nihlathak" to "Nihlathak Boss".
I just tested this and now the correct one spawns in town and the hostile one spawns down in halls of (forgot name :oops: )

Lord_Magus
Banned
Crusader

Post by Lord_Magus » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:58 pm

[quote=Volf";p="255421"][quote=Brother Laz";p="255412"]
Hmm... actually, I didn't touch Nihl's row in monpreset.txt
[/quote]
No but you did touch nihlathak row in superuniques.txt and monpreset reads from both superuniques.txt and monstats.txt so since you changed "Nihlathak Boss" in to Nihlathak and that is the id of the town version defined in monpreset the superunique with same id will spawn instead.

Hm actually forget my last post. All you really need to do is change the id in superuniques.txt from "Nihlathak" to "Nihlathak Boss".
I just tested this and now the correct one spawns in town and the hostile one spawns down in halls of (forgot name :oops: )[/quote]

Oh, so that is the problem that haunted Laz in his modmaking? Heh, seems like a minor problem though since you can gamble anywhere else and still have the same results unless it was changed.

The name of the place you forgot Volf, is in fact, The Halls of Vaught. Its where nihlathak, a now popular 1.11 boss spawns.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:35 pm

Fixed. Weirdly, the actual name of the monster affected his placement. In superuniques.txt, the boss version did have the nihlathakboss montype, but apparently its name, Nihlathak instead of Nihlathak Boss (which xlates to Nihlathak too), caused it to spawn in town where the game picks the first 'Nihlathak' it sees and drops it there.

Good job, Blizzard, linking a column that looks like just another useless name column to object placement.

1.05 released!

Features:

- Nihilistic bug fixed;
- Fixed the skill desc mess, no more duplicate icons;
- Fixed bugged runewords;
- Sets! :mrgreen:

Fileplanet is being miserable again today, but thanks to the site move, at least there are now two links with no servers, instead of just one. The link labelled 'old' will soon stop working (as in a 404); the link labelled 'new' might work... if Fileplanet likes you.
Last edited by Brother Laz on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Median XL released!

Lord_Magus
Banned
Crusader

Post by Lord_Magus » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 pm

You actually fixed the nila bug? Good work on relieving everyone who plays your mod of that mess!

The new runewords work now? Ok, let me try them!!!!!

Sets? OMFG!!!!! 8-O :cool:

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:13 am

Note: Shadows are NOT, I repeat NOT, spawning with extra HP when struck. I've been casting them like crazy whilst in the middle of a mob getting hit every other second and my shadows are dieing in seconds. In other words, you've just killed off the necro's main way of dealing damage. :roll:

Whitemagebishieboy
Paladin

Post by Whitemagebishieboy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:33 am

Yes ive noticied, and mentioned. :(

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:51 am

[quote=Whitemagebishieboy";p="255467"]Yes ive noticied, and mentioned. :([/quote]

You said your shadows don't die in one hit, and now you said they do die in one hit.

Oh mighty god of d2 text editing laz, My necro shadows dost seem to die in 1 hit. Even after being beat on with a large stick.

Just thought, you would like to know that.

Corrected for spelling mistakes, 'My necro shadows don't seem to die in one hit. Even when monsters are pounding on them'
:x

I'm so taking out shadows entirely now. Enough is enough.
Last edited by Brother Laz on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Median XL released!

Lord_Magus
Banned
Crusader

Post by Lord_Magus » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:16 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="255493"][quote=Whitemagebishieboy";p="255467"]Yes ive noticied, and mentioned. :([/quote]

You said your shadows don't die in one hit, and now you said they do die in one hit.

Oh mighty god of d2 text editing laz, My necro shadows dost seem to die in 1 hit. Even after being beat on with a large stick.

Corrected for spelling mistakes, 'My necro shadows don't seem to die in one hit. Even when monsters are pounding on them'

I'm so taking out shadows entirely now. Enough is enough.[/quote]

Finally, the only summon skill is going to be gone! I wonder what it will be replaced with? Hehehe.

Whitemagebishieboy
Paladin

Post by Whitemagebishieboy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:46 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="255493"][quote=Whitemagebishieboy";p="255467"]Yes ive noticied, and mentioned. :([/quote]

I'm so taking out shadows entirely now. Enough is enough.[/quote]

Actully, that wasnt a spelling mistake at all *sighs*
Dost means Do.
Thats what i get for useing old english on a laz i see.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Lord_Magus" wrote:Finally, the only summon skill is going to be gone! I wonder what it will be replaced with? Hehehe.
Heh, had to leave it in because some people would whine and cry if it went. Removed the when-struck part, new hp is 10+4*lvl-1 (at level 40, each has 166 hp). Rather strong, but hey, I'm not making this mod for myself, I'm making it for the [strike]players[/strike] bug exploiters.

Whitemagebishieboy";p="255501" wrote:Actully, that wasnt a spelling mistake at all *sighs* Dost means Do. Thats what i get for useing old english on a laz i see.
Next time you may want to use it on a native English speaker. Die gaat het waarschijnlijk wel verstaan, maar ik dus niet. <- contained herein is the meaning of life ;)
Last edited by Brother Laz on Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Median XL released!

Whitemagebishieboy
Paladin

Post by Whitemagebishieboy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:38 pm

Brother Laz";p="255502" wrote: Heh, had to leave it in because some people would whine and cry if it went. Removed the when-struck part, new hp is 10+4*lvl-1 (at level 40, each has 166 hp). Rather strong, but hey, I'm not making this mod for myself, I'm making it for the [strike]players[/strike] bug exploiters.

Awww you mean there staying in?
I was hopeing to a more intresting ability.
Next time you may want to use it on a native English speaker. Die gaat het waarschijnlijk wel verstaan, maar ik dus niet. <- contained herein is the meaning of life ;)
Noted. I really wasnt thinking about the fact you arent a native speaker so i just said it.
What pft, i already know that. The meaning of life is to be happy.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:43 pm

1.06 out!

[quote=Whitemagebishieboy";p="255526"]Awww you mean there staying in?
I was hopeing to a more intresting ability.[/quote]

Players demand a summoning skill. Oh the flames I had to endure when people found out in M1 that the necromancer could summon only one minion, ever.

[quote=Whitemagebishieboy";p="255526"]The meaning of life is to be happy.[/quote]

I'd say the meaning of life is to avoid ending up sad and broken, but whatever floats your cloud castle.
Median XL released!

Lord_Magus
Banned
Crusader

Post by Lord_Magus » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="255528"]1.06 out!

[quote=Whitemagebishieboy";p="255526"]Awww you mean there staying in?
I was hopeing to a more intresting ability.[/quote]

Players demand a summoning skill. Oh the flames I had to endure when people found out in M1 that the necromancer could summon only one minion, ever.

[quote=Whitemagebishieboy";p="255526"]The meaning of life is to be happy.[/quote]

I'd say the meaning of life is to avoid ending up sad and broken, but whatever floats your cloud castle.[/quote]

Doesnt this mean that the necro is going to be the only played class in M2SE?

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:41 am

[quote=Lord_Magus";p="255548"]
Doesnt this mean that the necro is going to be the only played class in M2SE?[/quote]

Personally I play Barbs, Amas and Sorcs in Median mostly. Necro's will just be the "safety" class of sorts.

BTW nice bit of uber-fast work Laz. I barely had time to download 1.05 and 1.06 comes out.
Last edited by Maxx Power on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:57 am

Played a few hours, now the summons do stay alive in the first two acts with a lvl 34 necro, in later acts they still die relatively fast so you cant depend on them as tanks (at least not with low level characters), trying to keep one alive at all times for the aura is a real good idea thou and that got easier with this change.

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:09 am

Ok then, time to try and bring my thoughts together. It's about something that's been bothering me for some time now, and hopefully I can make a cohesive arguement about it. That arguement is for the Sorc's "Damage Boosting" skill, Hex.

Now with all the other characters, their boosting skills can, essentially, be applied under any situation. Usually their skills just involve casting it and for whatever duration they have a damage boost. Sorcs on the other hand have Hex, and this is where the problem lies. First of all, the skill relies on the sorc actually being in dangers way and the problems that occur with this (sorcs naturally lower HP, horrible hit/block recovery times). Secondly it has the shortest duration associated with it, but this is less of problem due to the large amount of hits that will innevitably be coming your way. Thirdly, and this is my main gripe, not all monsters even do physical damage attacks. From watching my LCS and from my own observations, Hex isn't triggered against spells. That essentially means that Hex is useless against any monsters that exclusively spell-caste. Granted that isn't a large majority, but we're still talking all skeletal mages, The Summoner, the "Mage Cats" as I call them etc. Plus there's even certain types of monsters that Hex can't be cast on at all.

Considering the mechanic of Hex hasn't changed I'd assume that it's only a problem for me and that I should keep my mouth shut. But I guess it's worth mentioning. If you fob it off then so be it, twas just my two cents.

Peace Out.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:16 pm

[quote=Maxx Power";p="255772"]Ok then, time to try and bring my thoughts together. It's about something that's been bothering me for some time now, and hopefully I can make a cohesive arguement about it. That arguement is for the Sorc's "Damage Boosting" skill, Hex.[/quote]

Just because something is not useful anywhere, at any time doesn't mean it isn't useful somewhere, at some time.

If anything, the problem is that the damage buffs are good against everything, not that Hex (or Retaliate/Retribute, Phalanx, Raven Flight, Shackles, Glacial Nova, Holy Trap, Possess,...) aren't good against everything. I actually wanted to make as many skills as possible situational, so you can't get through the game with one or two skills. :)

For example, you can totally humilate the second Baal boss pack, which is not fire immune, with Holy Trap. Just plant about 15 traps in the summoning area and the pack is dead on arrival. Otoh, it is just about useless against skeleton archers.

In CLoD, iron maiden isn't useful against everything. Neither is thorns, SoB, resist f/c/l, cleansing, salvation, shout, defiance, frozen/shiver/chilling armor, cold mastery, natural resistance, battlecry, warcry, shockwave, mindblast, cloak of shadows, fade, attract/confuse, decrepify, holy freeze, slow missiles, and also basically all of the direct damage skills in the game, because there is always something that is immune to them.

I personally don't see the fact that this skill is only useful against about two thirds of all monsters (and more useful against archers or things like minotaurs with Crucify) as a problem, because the individual skills you're using with it are bound to be useless against one third of the monsters in Hell too.

Thanks for the feedback, though. :)

[quote=Maxx Power";p="255772"]Plus there's even certain types of monsters that Hex can't be cast on at all. [/quote]

Yep, for some reason, invisible monsters can't have curses cast on them at all even when they are visible.

[quote=Maxx Power";p="255772"]Considering the mechanic of Hex hasn't changed I'd assume that it's only a problem for me and that I should keep my mouth shut.[/quote]

If everyone who's the first to report something keeps his or her mouth shut about it, I'd never find out about anything. :)

1.07 planned for Feb 10, 2006
· Located empty column in charstats.txt; 2/3 chance this is a bug, 1/3 chance it is indeed actually a free column, in which case each character will receive an extra innate skill. Phear the bouncing beach ball of Baphomet.
· Set balance is fairly wacky, this will need to be fixed.
· Crafting is currently underpowered, will be improved in 1.07.
· Dice of Summoning™.
Last edited by Brother Laz on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Median XL released!

Bolt_PT

Post by Bolt_PT » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:17 am

I got a couple of days to play ( and am back to studies again) so I can give some feedback.

First of all, I went to cow level (nightmare) with my zon. There are only some kind of barbs named script kiddies that give 0 exp ( or close to it, my exp bar never moved, I was lvl 70 or so), drop nothing ( except their "king" or whatever, it dropped some magic items and 1\2 rares i think). So, I am bound to ask: is it supposed to have any purpose, or it's just a feature like gambling, which is there but "almost" useless ( I can still get rare jewelery from there, and a small percentage of it can be useful ^^)? I had to ask this, it's in no way ironic or sarcastic, i really want to know :mrgreen: .

Moving on, does the upgrade thingy work with all weapons and armor? Because I've wasted about 20 ith runes by now and haven't seen any effect till now (tried it on uniques and rares).

I'd personally like to see more runewords and jewelwords in the future, and they'll probably come in once you get some inspiration :D .

I've also tried to kill baal with my bow attacks, but to no avail. Despite being lvl 70 and unable to find a better bow ( not that I had the greatest bow ever but you understand) I couldn't kill him. I depended on merc to not get wtfpwned in close range, and as he hit merc the screen would fill with mobs faster than I could kill them, while my arrows scratched him. I tried using magic to kill him, and he freaking died fast. Does he have any physical resistance that I don't know? Cause arrows aren't that bad against the large majority of mobs...

I also started an assa, I'm going to try the "trapassassin" here XD. So far holy trap kills nice, but can't be used in conjunction with those freezing traps :cry: . I tried using pandemonium for those mobs that don't follow me ( archers and stuff) but for some reason clubing them to death seems to be faster. I'm gonna look for another solution next week or so.

See ya soon

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:17 am

My Baal notes
Baal sure was a tough nut, I just beat him in normal with a lvl 38 necro. Seemed fine first, a spammed hunting banshees and got around 1/4 of he's life down, then my merc got hit a few times and the room was filled with monsters, killed a couple of them but while doing so 20 new ones had spawned, eventually I got killed and when going back the whole screen was filled with them buggers, well no problem I went elsewhere to kill monsters for merc gold went back in, fired 1 apoc before I died again,, repeated until finally a while later they were all dead. Then back to Baal that had regenerated all the hp but this time I lured him to the entry point so when I entered, fired 1 apoc, this time it also hit him,, 2a few hours later I had a necro slayer..

This was the best fight I ever had with Baal, was just so awesome when the rascal finally died (cant wait to fight him in nightmare) :)

With my Amazon the fight was easy, I had fast run walk speed and no merc, so I kept firing 1 shot then retreat until he was dead, he never spawned a single monster, this was a few versions back thou.
---------------------------
Some notes about Diablo fight
he was eventually allot easier than Baal coz he's slower, even without anything to increase my run/walk speed I could easily stay away without getting hit, 15 minutes in to the fight Diablo always starts walking away from me, finally he ends up walking in to a corner and stays there using ranged attacks only, when this happens he's toast.
Hint, a slight increase in he's move velocity would make him twice as hard :)

Bolt_PT

Post by Bolt_PT » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:21 am

To Volf: Now try that with an hardcore char :mrgreen: .

When I get my assa to those levels (Diablo and Baal) I'll give further info.. I see that almost no one plays an assa so... as one of my fav chars ever, I'm gonna do it.

Regards

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:45 am

[quote=Bolt_PT";p="256107"]To Volf: Now try that with an hardcore char :mrgreen: .
[/quote]
My Amazon was HC died in nightmare. If a hardcore character plans go down there with a merc or with to slow feet that character better make funeral arrangements and make sure the last will & testament are in order

Bolt_PT

Post by Bolt_PT » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 am

The fastest way to kill him is using spells.. RoL works surprisingly good because he stands there assaulting your merc. Without merc the task probably involves less of a risk, but takes more time as well.

As I have faster run speed, and diablo acts a bit cowardly, he's a lot easier (at least for my zon) than baal or duriel ( duriel can be worse than baal).

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:46 am

[quote=Bolt_PT";p="256093"]First of all, I went to cow level (nightmare) with my zon. There are only some kind of barbs named script kiddies that give 0 exp ( or close to it, my exp bar never moved, I was lvl 70 or so), drop nothing ( except their "king" or whatever, it dropped some magic items and 1\2 rares i think).[/quote]

I didn't want the cow level to be too useful, since it's just a bonus area to begin with and farming a bonus area for anything is stupid.

[quote=Bolt_PT";p="256093"]So, I am bound to ask: is it supposed to have any purpose, or it's just a feature like gambling, which is there but "almost" useless ( I can still get rare jewelery from there, and a small percentage of it can be useful ^^)?[/quote]

Gambling weapons and fighter armor is useless. ;)

[quote=Bolt_PT";p="256093"]Moving on, does the upgrade thingy work with all weapons and armor? Because I've wasted about 20 ith runes by now and haven't seen any effect till now (tried it on uniques and rares).[/quote]

There are reports that the upgrade recipes are indeed working, and anyway, a broken recipe should not eat the ingredients (Ith runes), but usually just fails to work altogether. What exactly is the problem for you?

[quote=Bolt_PT";p="256093"]I'd personally like to see more runewords and jewelwords in the future, and they'll probably come in once you get some inspiration :D .[/quote]

Yep, in 1.07, in February. :)

[quote=Bolt_PT";p="256093"]I've also tried to kill baal with my bow attacks, but to no avail. Despite being lvl 70 and unable to find a better bow ( not that I had the greatest bow ever but you understand) I couldn't kill him.[/quote]

Baal has high physical resist to begin with (only half damage from physical attacks compared to nearby monsters), and if he keeps hitting your merc and spawning monsters, you won't be able to focus fire him in the first place.

[quote=Volf";p="256099"]Baal sure was a tough nut, I just beat him in normal with a lvl 38 necro. Seemed fine first, a spammed hunting banshees and got around 1/4 of he's life down, then my merc got hit a few times and the room was filled with monsters[/quote]

Baal spawns 1 monster each time he hits anything, and has a fairly high attack rating. If your merc doesn't have the greatest armor, he'll land a lot of hits and fill the screen with monsters. In this case, just leave the merc dead after the first time he bites it. This also applies to necromancer shadows, which have <100 defense at high levels.

[quote=Volf";p="256099"]This was the best fight I ever had with Baal, was just so awesome when the rascal finally died (cant wait to fight him in nightmare) :)[/quote]

FYI, he used to have a special attack in Hell that spawned 10 monsters at once, this was removed a couple of patches ago (no really?).

[quote=Volf";p="256099"]he was eventually allot easier than Baal coz he's slower, even without anything to increase my run/walk speed I could easily stay away without getting hit, 15 minutes in to the fight Diablo always starts walking away from me, finally he ends up walking in to a corner and stays there using ranged attacks only, when this happens he's toast.
Hint, a slight increase in he's move velocity would make him twice as hard :)[/quote]

Diablo is mostly a spellcaster to begin with, and is supposed to use ranged attacks for most of the fight. Why he chooses to chase the character is something else. :(

[quote=Bolt_PT";p="256111"]The fastest way to kill him is using spells.. RoL works surprisingly good because he stands there assaulting your merc. Without merc the task probably involves less of a risk, but takes more time as well.[/quote]

Fun fact: for a short time in 1.05, Mephisto used to summon monsters as a regular attack (as opposed to a melee attack) and had a homing Punisher attack. :)

Plans for 1.07 (Unlucky Seven Version):
> Two new innates for each character! I found a free column in charstats.txt, and Left Hand Throw will get the boot, so I can have five innates per character. One of the new innates is a regular one:

Amazon: [Vindicate] curses enemies to increase your damage on kills.
Assassin: [Rune of Ruin] trap that inflicts area weapon damage.
Barbarian: [Eagle Flight] launches multiple homing throwing axes.
Druid: [Seismic Field] arrow that radiates damage while in flight.
Necromancer: [Death Metal] fires weapon damage spikes from a corpse.
Paladin: [Lionheart] toggleable damage buff that slows you down.
Sorceress: [Pagan Heart] when active, mana pots also add energy.

'Uber' innates:
Each character will get one 'uber' innate, which have a very long skill delay that goes down with character level.

Amazon: [Suntouch] instant mana heal spell on a timer.
Assassin: [Spirit of Vengeance] turns a corpse into a meteor trap.
Barbarian: [Fortress] a circular wall with eight towers that shoot arrows.
Druid: [Awaken] improves target merc, minion or party member.
Necromancer: [Nightmare] greatly slows and weakens nearby foes.
Paladin: [Holy Insanity] when-struck state by cursed foes lasts longer.
Sorceress: [Moontouch] gives yourself the when-struck state.

> Existing innates modified:

- Bloodlust, MotW, Dark Power: life/mana penalty changed to a straight subtraction.
- Raven Heart: removed stun attack, added mana per kill.

> New potions, including some to clear skill timers or improve your innates.

> 'Deities': at level 30, you can choose between six mutually exclusive passives to enhance your character:
- ...Ice: +100% chill/freeze lengths.
- ...Light: +50% faster healing pots.
- ...Lore: improves modifiers on certain new runewords.
- ...Mysteries: +500 crafting points, unlocks bonus recipes.
- ...Vengeance: all skill timers -50%.
- ...War: adds +50% damage effect to healing potions.

> Improved crafting recipes, bugfixes to other recipes.
> New AI for Andariel and Mephisto.
> Monsters may spawn other monsters.
> ...
Median XL released!

Return to “Mods By Laz”