[old version] Median 2 S.E. bugs and feedback thread

Information and updates for mods created by Brother Laz. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Joel

grkkilla

Re: Help!!!!

Post by grkkilla » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:45 am

where do u download median2se version?

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:03 am

dfnord
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dfnord » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:06 am

[quote=Volf";p="256593"]Here is a wild suggestion, simple develop 2 versions 1 towards easy the other follows the hard direction. I know this would cause you allot of headaches due to double work, but if you can handle it/real life leaves enough free time then it would be a good option.[/quote]
Why instead of developing two versions entirely different, make the hard version, and then just change add an item and the correspondent recipe on the easy version. The (probably a charm) item and the correspondent recipe could turn the game easier somehow (more atributes, and/or +magical damage as magic affinity on nez), but would only be craftable (probably as at the very beggining) on the easy version. This way you do not have to deal with two complete different versions.
Last edited by dfnord on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:14 am

With an easy and hard versions, the versions need to differ enough for characters not to be compatible etc.
Last edited by Volf on Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

brappy
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by brappy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:21 am

Just make a slight change on a main stat's SaveBits. Instant incompatibility. :)
Currently working on Tricet of Apocalypse (Latest patch: Beta 0.9) | Mod thread
A=B, A²=AB, A²-B²=AB-B², (A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B), A+B=B, A+A=A, 2A=A, 2=1

Chassel

Re: Median 2006 Preview

Post by Chassel » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:36 am

Hey laz thnx alot for answering my questions thus far, me and my bud have had a blast playing the mod and are looking forward to the new stuff on the next version

one other question were charms disabled cuz i have a charm i moved from my 1.17 char to the SE and i can use it, but we haven't seen one charm drop yet, (we're both at lvl 24) played over the weekend

oh and a sugestion for the patch, any chance you could increase the stash size? :) its a lil frusterating trying to collect runes and gems and having no room

thnx again

Chassel

Rerolling?

Post by Chassel » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:02 am

<from the reame - cube>
· Rerolling ·

These recipes keep the base item intact, but reroll the modifiers
on a magic or rare item. The 'basic' recipes generate items
with a level of 5 or 85% of the item level, whichever is higher.
For the 'advanced' recipes, the level is 10 or 100% of the item
level.

- basic -
magic item + Eld Rune + jewel -> reroll modifiers
magic item + Sol Rune + jewel -> upgrade to rare (requires 500 crafting points)
rare item + Dol Rune + jewel -> reroll modifiers

- advanced -
magic item + Io Rune + jewel -> reroll modifiers
rare item + Lo Rune + jewel -> reroll modifiers

~ ~ ~

i've tried several magical items and different spots within the cube, and i've been unsuccessful on rerolling anything, it may be that im misinterpreting the above... is it broken, or could someone explian, how its suppsoed to work

in addition i don't understand what the difference between basic and advbanced is. im trying to do the basic rerolling seing as i don't have any Io runes

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:33 am

[quote=grkkilla";p="256605"]where do u download median2se version?[/quote]

The real question is, where do you still download the old M2? The only sites I'm aware of that are still hosting M2 and only M2 are certain shady B.net hacking sites...

[quote=Chassel";p="256815"]one other question were charms disabled cuz i have a charm i moved from my 1.17 char to the SE and i can use it, but we haven't seen one charm drop yet, (we're both at lvl 24) played over the weekend[/quote]

Yep, charms are disabled. By the way, moving items between M2 and M2SE, or between any two mods, is commonly called 'cheating'.

[quote=Chassel";p="256815"]oh and a sugestion for the patch, any chance you could increase the stash size? :)[/quote]

No, that would break compatibility, and also I don't see the problem with a smaller stash. Keeps you from piling up too much garbage. :) If you really want a larger stash, try Yohann's PlugY tool, it gives you an infinite stash. Use of PlugY with this mod is however Unsupported™ and to be done at your own risk.

[quote=Chassel";p="256827"]i've tried several magical items and different spots within the cube, and i've been unsuccessful on rerolling anything, it may be that im misinterpreting the above... is it broken, or could someone explian, how its suppsoed to work[/quote]

Yes, it seems to be broken for no obvious reason. I've shown the cubemain.txt entry to several people and no one understands wtf could possibly be wrong with it. Let's just say it's a Blizzard bug.

[quote=Chassel";p="256815"]in addition i don't understand what the difference between basic and advbanced is. im trying to do the basic rerolling seing as i don't have any Io runes[/quote]

This also applies to other recipes, so here goes:

The 'basic' recipes generate items with a level of 5 or 85% of the item level, whichever is higher. For the 'advanced' recipes, the level is 10 or 100% of the item level.
- readme

There you have it: the item level is higher for higher end recipes. This also applies to things like crafting recipes and pretty much anything else that generates random items.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Chassel

Post by Chassel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:32 am

[quote=Brother Laz";p="256836"]Yep, charms are disabled. By the way, moving items between M2 and M2SE, or between any two mods, is commonly called 'cheating'.[/quote]

awww thats disapointing to hear, i thought charms were one of the cooler additions to the expansion pack. Im curious though why you decided they needed to be disabled

and as for the item transfereing, didn;t know it was cheating, we were just trying to save some of our stuff, so we didn't completely waste our time in the previous version, only items that really transfered over well were gems and runes, everything else seemed to get modifyers liek -64 to vitality

[quote=Brother Laz";p="256836"]The 'basic' recipes generate items with a level of 5 or 85% of the item level, whichever is higher. For the 'advanced' recipes, the level is 10 or 100% of the item level.
- readme

There you have it: the item level is higher for higher end recipes. This also applies to things like crafting recipes and pretty much anything else that generates random items.[/quote]

sorry this still makes no sense to me, you say item level, the only thing that comes to mind is the teir (1),(2),(3) but that only goes up to 6 and u mention level to items :-|

thnx again for ur time

Lanthanide
Paladin

Re: Median 2 Special Edition bugs and feedback thread

Post by Lanthanide » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:32 am

Charms were one of the lamest additions to the expansion pack.

They entirely took away the equipment limitations that were strongly inherant in D1 and somewhat in D2. Eg, in D1 you could -only- get Zodiac on jewelry, and you could only get Emerald on shields and +30 Str on jewelry. So if your character needed a specific stat boost, you had to go with a specific type of item, which led into a whole lot of different build types and people hunting for a +26% resist all/+17 to all stat or better ring that would let them wear Q armor and Z helm. But when you throw in a whole lot of items that don't take up character slots at all, it means you can use X shield and Y armor together, which are the best possible shield and armor, because you can get any other stats that you need from charms (of course, then you have to hunt for the specific charms, but that's not exciting).

Makes it really dull when everyone uses the best items and has an inv full of charms, rather than different people using the best shield and medium armor or best armor and medium shield.

They're also very very hard to balance. A charm of +5 life regen by itself is pretty harmless, but when you're getting +40 life regen from charms its a big issue.

It's also a lot less of a sacrifice. If you need to get 50% fire resistance for a particular level, you might normally have to toss up between your Wall of the Eyeless or a boring old Garnet shield, meaning you have to sacrifice a whole bunch of nice modifiers in order to get one other, boring, but neccesary one. With charms, you don't have to - you can just get a bunch of fire resist charms and sacrifice a little bit of INV space while still using your nice shield.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:43 am

I think charms can be good. If worried about charms making it to easy a simple solution is to restict what modifiers can spawn on them, mods like stamina, mf, life and mana on normal magic charms and perhaps some more interresting things on wary rare unique charms limited by carry1.

Something along thous lines wouldnt be to bad would it?

Chassel

Post by Chassel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:16 am

Lanthanide, your whole comment was saying that charms make it so that you cant sue certian weapons in conjuction with others etc... but this isn't diablo 1 and with Art of War you can wear and use any item you want. heck even without that u get a couple rings or an amy or throw a tal into any socketed item and u shoudl have enough str or dex to wear w/e u want, thats not a really good reason for removign charms... and im curiosu to see why Laz did, if its for that reason, then thats flawed cuz then your jsut removing an interesting inovative game aspect for no reason

Lanthanide
Paladin

Post by Lanthanide » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:05 am

So you'd rather be able to wear all of the most powerful items at the same time and not have to worry about the enemies at all.

I would rather be forced to pick and choose and adapt my strategies to cope with the items I'd found, rather than simply relying on a dull crutch.

Volf: I don't think limiting the stats works either, people can still horde them and get big benefits from them, unless you go to the extreme of 1 small charm = +1 hp, but then it's so weak no one would bother.

Unique charms with carry=1 are ok though.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:14 am

[quote=Lanthanide";p="256968"]
Volf: I don't think limiting the stats works either, people can still horde them and get big benefits from them, unless you go to the extreme of 1 small charm = +1 hp, but then it's so weak no one would bother.

Unique charms with carry=1 are ok though.[/quote]
Well there areways to solve the problem such as inventory size and charm size. Its really up to the modmaker to dicide how many charms should fit in the inventory, having them same size as gloves for example wouls already make a huge difference.

Anyway this is all a matter of taste, some like charms some dont.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:48 pm

[quote=Chassel";p="256946"]awww thats disapointing to hear, i thought charms were one of the cooler additions to the expansion pack. Im curious though why you decided they needed to be disabled[/quote]

Because if one charm is good, then 40 of the same charms are just as good. The penalty for having too many charms in your inventory is lack of space for items and endless town portalling, which is a sucky penalty.

[quote=Chassel";p="256946"]sorry this still makes no sense to me, you say item level, the only thing that comes to mind is the teir (1),(2),(3) but that only goes up to 6 and u mention level to items :-|[/quote]

Never messed around with the cube in CLoD? :) Item level is the actual level of the item. Characters have levels, monsters have levels, and items have levels. In this case, higher level monsters drop higher level items (in CLoD: elites) with higher level modifiers (in CLoD: Cruel) on them.

So a recipe that generates an item with less than 100% of the input item's level results in weaker modifiers on the item.

[quote=Volf";p="256964"]If worried about charms making it to easy a simple solution is to restict what modifiers can spawn on them, mods like stamina, mf, life and mana on normal magic charms and perhaps some more interresting things on wary rare unique charms limited by carry1.[/quote]

Two words: Vita Charms™. If any charm has the potential to be slightly useful, people will cram their inventory full of them.

[quote=Chassel";p="256966"]Lanthanide, your whole comment was saying that charms make it so that you cant sue certian weapons in conjuction with others etc... but this isn't diablo 1 and with Art of War you can wear and use any item you want.[/quote]

True... isn't it sad that this isn't D1 anymore? At least that game handled its items properly.
:twisted:
By the way, tier 6 ancient armor has a strength requirement of 622. If Tal runes are rollerskates and Art of War is the ramp, then tier 5-6 stuff is the Grand Canyon.

[quote=Chassel";p="256966"]heck even without that u get a couple rings or an amy or throw a tal into any socketed item and u shoudl have enough str or dex to wear w/e u want, thats not a really good reason for removign charms...[/quote]

Actually, you have to sacrifice a ring, amulet or socket slot to get your stats. Charms are 'free'. The only thing you lose by using charms instead of actual items is inventory space, which as mentioned above, is a sucky penalty. Your character gets stronger, but gameplay turns boring.

[quote=Chassel";p="256966"]and im curiosu to see why Laz did, if its for that reason, then thats flawed cuz then your jsut removing an interesting inovative game aspect for no reason[/quote]

Just because it exists doesn't mean it is 'interesting and innovative'. Of all the extra features in LoD, charms are the least fun or interesting.

[quote=Lanthanide";p="256968"]So you'd rather be able to wear all of the most powerful items at the same time and not have to worry about the enemies at all.[/quote]

If that's the case, may I refer you to the Eastern Sun forum? :twisted:

[quote=Lanthanide";p="256968"]Volf: I don't think limiting the stats works either, people can still horde them and get big benefits from them, unless you go to the extreme of 1 small charm = +1 hp, but then it's so weak no one would bother.[/quote]

In M2, hardly anyone used charms because they were greatly underpowered, but you could nevertheless stuff your inventory full with 40 copies of the least underpowered ones and get an enormous return.

IIRC you could get up to +10 maximum damage on a small charm, which equals +400 maximum damage if you get 40 of them. Or if you want to leave some room for the cube, you only get +360 maximum damage, which equals ~x2 total damage with high-end weapons, or worse, high-end weapon equivalent damage with a +200% ED tier 1 dagger. Who needs strength when you can have a bagful of charms.

Oh, and all we mentioned so far was the suffix. There's a prefix too, let's say +2% deadly strike. You gain an additional +72% deadly strike if you want to keep the cube, +80% otherwise. Your damage just nearly doubled again.

There is also the issue of twinking. If you can find a +1 maximum damage charm in Blood Moors, you can collect 30 of them, pass them on to a low level character and quintuple its damage. Or generally, if you can find charm x in area y, you can find another two dozen copies of charm x in area y. Good luck trying to balance that.

[quote=Volf";p="256970"]Its really up to the modmaker to dicide how many charms should fit in the inventory, having them same size as gloves for example wouls already make a huge difference.[/quote]

In ND the Priest profession will generate carry1 charms of 2x2 size. You probably won't need all of them, so you can make do with just 4 or 5 different ones, and 2x2 is a nice size because you can put 2 in one column and use all available space. But that's as far as charms go in ND.

Charm Tetris is one of the most irritating parts of LoD, especially when one of your skeletons falls apart each time you pick up a (+summoning) charm to make room for some stupid 2x4 item that should fit in your inventory if only you could put the 9 empty squares next to each other somehow.

Or, when your inventory contains 8 large charms, all the stuff you picked up is in your cube (minus the Tyrael's Might which another player snatched because your inventory was full) and you're at the shop trying to unload your cube. At best you'll have room for one item at a time in your inventory, at worst you'll have to make a stop at your stash to unload all of your ubar fire skill charms while Cain is laughing at you all the way.
Last edited by Brother Laz on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Median XL released!

dfnord
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dfnord » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:14 pm

Actually, you have to sacrifice a ring, amulet or socket slot to get your stats. Charms are 'free'. The only thing you lose by using charms instead of actual items is inventory space, which as mentioned above, is a sucky penalty.
Well, some mods (valhala and zy-el for instance) solved this issue by adding draing life mod to the good charms. This is a way to limit the use of charms. On most other mods (on which non-unique and non-carry1 charms don't come with very good stats, like +to all skills or +%life, etc) i just use them to get enough res (most other stats are not worth the space the take, or the time it take to gather them).

Also, slower run walk, vitality penality or possibly reduced gains on pots, higher curse duration (on you, not the curses you cast), -resistance are other good abuse limiting stats on charms.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:35 pm

[quote=dfnord";p="257059"]Well, some mods (valhala and zy-el for instance) solved this issue by adding draing life mod to the good charms.[/quote]

And they also have the description string 'Look at me, I got entangled in charm balance problems and this is the easiest way out!' on them. 'Solutions' like these are often employed in mods that don't care about the game world and are only about getting as much PH4T L00T as possible.

There's a reason Ashenwind doesn't have freeze target and 'Unity' has no energy bonus. This isn't just chess or checkers, there's also this whole 'realism' thing to take into account. Unless there's a valid reason why putting a rabbit's feet into your pocket causes you to drop dead 15 minutes later.
Median XL released!

dfnord
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dfnord » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:21 pm

The suggestions above (which is just a variant for: "add some penalities as well to charms") are techinical. I am not going to tell how to justify every single technical reason, mostly because not everything is justifiable . Well, "it is just how magic works!" is always a justification, even though most people don't like using it, that is, most of those people that actually try to give logic explanation to every single item.

But since i am a fan of rpg justifications (since good real-life rpgs always give justifications to its magic/magick devices/talismans/etc), i'll give you one example:

"werewolf hand: magic talisman made of an arm or hand of a werewolf. The rage of lycantrope burns into the bearer. However, the curse from the werewolf also comes to haunt whoever dares to wield such magic."

Would be an explanation to give fanatism aura with radius 0 and a chance to be cursed from time to time (not saying that this penality mod is easy to accomplish though).

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:18 pm

Heh, not a bad idea: a hidden anti-synergy of sorts. :)

In M2006 (former Narlant Dreams) there will be no charm drops but if you choose the Priest profession, you can make your own charms. :)
Median XL released!

Silenkiller
Paladin

Post by Silenkiller » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:41 pm

Just wanted to say props for the mod. Its pretty fun - my only gripe is ive been playing for 2 weeks and im only in the outer cloister lol, it seems really hard for my solo barb - trying to farm grizwald didnt get me any items whatsoever either lol. Any tips where to actually be able to find items?

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:48 pm

Anywhere where there are superuniques and champions is good for treassure hunting

Incompetent
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Incompetent » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:19 pm

[quote=Brother Laz";p="257190"]Heh, not a bad idea: a hidden anti-synergy of sorts. :)

In M2006 (former Narlant Dreams) there will be no charm drops but if you choose the Priest profession, you can make your own charms. :)[/quote]

Will these be useable only by Priests, or is this another way of handicapping SPers? ;)

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:55 pm

Pretty much all professions can be used to generate items for other characters, so this is no exception. :)
Last edited by Brother Laz on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Median XL released!

Fish of Muu
Champion of the Light

My kudos and complaints

Post by Fish of Muu » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:35 pm

Okay, first of all I definitely have to give kudos right away on the skills. Each mod adresses their own problems, and I feel that saying 'best mod' is a very bad thing to say because other mods adress other problems. Some mods fix the problem I always had with your items not being personal enough *cough*runemod*cough*, and this one definitely adresses the whole 'but I wanted a melee mancer!' or 'why did they give me enchant when it sucks?' and the ever so annoying 'dude, these lvl 1 skills suck'. So, kudos. Most mods focus on items, which is interesting, but a nice set of skills is often overlooked. Also I definitely like some of the spells just for looking awesome. That one really weird ice attack that jumps around is definitely a good one. And that one bow attack that makes arrows appear reminds me of when you hit the cuckos too many times in Zelda -giggle-.

But, I definitely have a few problems with it. I just started playing tonight and I've got a major bone to pick with the druid. Mark of the wild is just an extremely annoying skill. I have to cast it constantly, which greatly limits any fighting strategies. Mark of the wild is a very good skill when coupled with feral rage, but it makes it difficult when I want to cast something else. My example is that I'm trying to cast an AOE cold spell (forgot the name, but it looks pretty... kudos again) to make those annoying skeleton archers slow down so I can actually hit things and not just recover from an attack constantly. So, I cast my spell (sometimes twice because it misses in the middle of its spin), roll to mark of the wild, wack on some guys, roll back, spam, roll again, etc. Mark of the wild, at least at this point, is way too good to NOT use. It greatly increases the damage of my piddly little weapon, and with a weapon 1000x better than this crappy knife I'd expect an even larger difference. Basically, it's dumb not to use it when going melee, but it severely limits strategy that way. Also one last nitpick about the skill, I really don't like the idea of my druid horking... it's so out of place.

A little nitpick about feral rage, you can't use it with bows. In clean d2, you can transform with a bow and use it just fine with your punch. Don't even need arrows. I had an extremely fast bow with fury and good life drain.... I could tank anything, as long as I never stopped punching. Also I think the cyclone attack would be interesting to work with bows too. Snipe some guy down and have little twisters come out, yeah?

Also I noticed the lack of throwing attacks (just one, if I'm not mistaken). It always annoyed me about clean d2 where thrown weapons were absolutely useless (except for the javs, which were TOO strong). Throwing weapons were weak to melee with, weak to throw, and there was only one throwing skill in the entire game which was overshadowed by better skills. Anyway, two ideas that popped into my head. Blessed hammers, except with your throwing axes/knives (i was thinking no pierce, though). Second idea was one where you throw your weapon and it comes back unless it hits something, which would be good for spamming areas.

Anyway, I haven't slept for a while (running off of caffine), so if I sound weird like 'why did that guy come up with two boomerang attacks?' forgive me hehe. Anyway, any concurrences with mark of the wild?

Edid: Oh, I just had another idea. A pure strategy skill. A skill that either attacks everyone in an area, or one enemy/small area a whole bunch of times. It does 0 damage, but it still counts as a hit (% when hit skills). Would be fun to run up to baal and clobber him 10 times a second with no damage, but all those 50% casts going off like crazy. Might make some serious problems if things like CB still activated, though. Anyway, I'll shut up now and go back to playing instead of using my sleepless brain to pester you with ideas. Probobly sound like one of those annoying stoner 'how to fix the world' rants by now haha!
Last edited by Fish of Muu on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: My kudos and complaints

Post by Brother Laz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:40 pm

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Okay, first of all I definitely have to give kudos right away on the skills.[/quote]

Thanks. :)

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]But, I definitely have a few problems with it. I just started playing tonight and I've got a major bone to pick with the druid. Mark of the wild is just an extremely annoying skill. I have to cast it constantly, which greatly limits any fighting strategies.[/quote]

The five second duration was meant to prevent people from casting it when the game starts and just leaving it running the entire time, which turns it from a buff skill into a passive by any other name. Durations of 30 seconds-5 minutes would also alleviate this issue, but I find it enormously irritating to have to recast a spell and not know when.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Mark of the wild is a very good skill when coupled with feral rage, but it makes it difficult when I want to cast something else.[/quote]

Five seconds is usually enough to cast 5-6 other attacks even if your cast rate is very slow. In the upcoming Median 2006, there will be items and skills that extend the duration, and maybe it would have been a good idea to add bonus duration to Star Power.

Five seconds is short, but at least you can recast it - Vanquish is three seconds and has a very long timer. That is one skill that gets you killed. :)

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Mark of the wild, at least at this point, is way too good to NOT use. It greatly increases the damage of my piddly little weapon, and with a weapon 1000x better than this crappy knife I'd expect an even larger difference.[/quote]

It depends. In M2 (you aren't still using M2, are you?), it is overpowered with its 50% damage bonus. In M2SE (the current version), it adds only 25% damage but you can increase the %age with Star Power. I tend to not use it until I have a couple of levels into Star Power, because casting MotW does take time and 25% isn't enough of a return IMO.

The nice part is that it multiplies your skill damage, instead of adding to it like in classic LoD. The exception is Mortal Strike, which is bugged in many other ways as well (such as the life penalty being counted before +% vitality items) and will receive the boot in Median 2006.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Basically, it's dumb not to use it when going melee, but it severely limits strategy that way. Also one last nitpick about the skill, I really don't like the idea of my druid horking... it's so out of place.[/quote]

I didn't really listen to the various barb sound effects. I know, I went to the effort of making Plague Avatar say 'Time to die' in the char's respective voices and then I proceed to nerf that skill into the ground and give Mark of the Wild a barbarian sound. ;)

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]A little nitpick about feral rage, you can't use it with bows.[/quote]

It's Feral Strike, and I don't care what CLoD did but you don't actually shift until you attack and attack with a bow equals shooting arrows. There is no way to make the skill not shoot an arrow if you're using a bow, because melee skills and ranged skills are totally different in this game. It works like that in CLoD because the act of morphing reduces you to melee attacks only.

If you do want a bow, update to Median 2006 when it's out - your M2SE character is compatible and there is a new weapon runeword that perma-morphs you into a wolf.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]In clean d2, you can transform with a bow and use it just fine with your punch. Don't even need arrows. I had an extremely fast bow with fury and good life drain.... I could tank anything, as long as I never stopped punching.[/quote]

The fact that attack x or y is overpowered in CLoD doesn't make it a mandatory feature in M2SE. :mrgreen: Note the weakness of life leech in M2SE and the power of +life per kill, for example.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Also I think the cyclone attack would be interesting to work with bows too. Snipe some guy down and have little twisters come out, yeah?[/quote]

But, again, impossible. Melee attacks and ranged attacks are too different to combine. For example, the fact that your character runs towards the enemy to hit him is an on/off toggle and unrelated to weapon type. This factor alone prevents combo-skills.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Also I noticed the lack of throwing attacks (just one, if I'm not mistaken).[/quote]

That'll be two: Bear Claw and Catharsis. Bear Claw is for axes and Catharsis is for javelins and knives. Also, axes and knives have a built-in Barrage skill (when you throw them, out comes a Barrage) and javelins have a built-in Cascade skill. I understand Bear Claw is actually quite overpowered at the moment.

And, within a week or two Median 2006 will be out and the assassin and barbarian will get an innate (starting) throwing skill.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]It always annoyed me about clean d2 where thrown weapons were absolutely useless (except for the javs, which were TOO strong).[/quote]

They were useless in M2 too, but in M2SE with the built-in throwing skills and BC/Catharsis (Bear Claw is better due to knockback, but Catharsis becomes better if you have off-weapon knockback), they are quite viable.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Anyway, two ideas that popped into my head. Blessed hammers, except with your throwing axes/knives (i was thinking no pierce, though).[/quote]

This could be a skill, but not a built-in throwing skill on the weapon itself. It would also be too similar to regular BH, and I prefer to build a new skill instead of re-using a CLoD skill unless absolutely necessary (ie. Possess and Slayer).

The two added throwing skills in M2006 are:

· Asn: Storm Crows: a wave of multiple knives (number based on character level) that home in on a nearby target.
· Bar: Eagle Flight: basically a 'nova' of (only) 8 throwing axes; more than one can hit a target at a time, but individual axes have a damage penalty.

In the meantime, you could get Blood Thorns, which does ranged weapon damage regardless of what weapon you have equipped (uses melee damage instead of throw damage, though), but this skill will be removed from the skill page in M2006 and become charge-only, so you'll have to be quick.

And in M2006, if you are a barb, you can use Fortress which summons towers that do weapon damage regardless of weapon type. Works equally well.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Second idea was one where you throw your weapon and it comes back unless it hits something, which would be good for spamming areas.[/quote]

I did have a Doomerang bow skill long ago, but it turned out to be unreliable. It would go back to the user, but at a very high speed (negative speed is 240-255, while arrows have speed 24) and 'teleport' through monsters.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Anyway, any concurrences with mark of the wild?[/quote]

Yep, in M2006 you'll be able to increase the duration with Profession: Enchanter, items, and I'll add a duration synergy to Star Power, if only because it's currently useless on the Act 5 mercs due to low duration (they'd have to keep spamming it).

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Edid: Oh, I just had another idea. A pure strategy skill. A skill that either attacks everyone in an area, or one enemy/small area a whole bunch of times. It does 0 damage, but it still counts as a hit (% when hit skills).[/quote]

This was actually the idea behind Blood Thorns.

The problem is that it is too weak without good procs, and too strong with good procs. I'm looking at items like Darkhunter, Hand of Karcheus, Harp of Vengeance and the various items with Mind Flay or Time Strike procs. Freezing everything on the screen four times over is not good for game balance... which is why this skill will be relegated to charged items in M2006.

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Would be fun to run up to baal and clobber him 10 times a second with no damage, but all those 50% casts going off like crazy. Might make some serious problems if things like CB still activated, though.[/quote]

That too... and freeze target, blinds target, open wounds,...

[quote=Fish of Muu";p="257366"]Anyway, I'll shut up now and go back to playing instead of using my sleepless brain to pester you with ideas. Probobly sound like one of those annoying stoner 'how to fix the world' rants by now haha![/quote]

Actually, feedback is better than no feedback. For example, now I know that some people are annoyed by the short duration on MotW. :)
Median XL released!

Return to “Mods By Laz”