[FEEDBACK] Assorted 0.92b Comments

Information and updates for the Pagan Heart mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: Phrozen Heart, Pagan Rainfall

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

[FEEDBACK] Assorted 0.92b Comments

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:17 pm

*and the crowd goes wild*
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Hades
Retired staff
Angel

Re: [FEEDBACK] Assorted 0.92b Comments

Post by Hades » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:15 pm

So this version has "deadlier"potions from gheed huh....Well I'm not going to down it then,hmphh. ;) Nah just kidding ya bud,got it just now and installed so,away I go heh heh.
Nice fixes btw....
nuff said
Hades
now to find all these bugs heh heh...
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years,
Face up...make your stand
And realise you're living in the golden years

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Well the new potions aren't necessarily "deadly", just more effective ;) I might warn against drinking an unmarked one in the middle of nowhere without an antidote though...

Just remember if you plan on playing multiplayer check that everyone has the new patch too. If the host has v0.92 and you find one of the new reagents, the game will probably not read your char in single player with a "bad inventory" bug. The same error happens if you found a new v0.92 item in single player and try to join a v0.91 host.

QW_Shadow
Paladin

Post by QW_Shadow » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:41 pm

I still dont understand these potions... Are the negative effects not shown? I only bought one so far and it says replenishes health and mana 20% (or something along those lines). So does that mean it could drain 20% hp and mp if it were a deadly/negative potion?

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:56 pm

Possibly yes. In your case it's more the "I just spent HOW MUCH for a crappy rejuv potion???" scenario. In some cases you can get skill/stat/experience points which are considered the premium potions but there's also temporary effect ones (such as a longer lasting version of a fire resistance potion) and rejuv potions of varying strengths (like the one you found). On the negative side of things there's 4 or 5 different strengths of poison, self-inflicted curses and the new additions are the nasty potions (which permanently reduce your stamina by 50 for instance). There's no mixed blessing potions, they're all either good, mediocre or dangerous.
Last edited by Phrozen Heart on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hades
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Hades » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:40 pm

Since spook never posted again mentioning if he was running .92 version I decided to play a bit of single player.And here's the first one bud...
Belhifet thing still happens bud. ;) I wanted to test this one out right away and let them surround me and killed em all and wouldn't you know it I couldn't move lol....So I just tp'd out heh heh....Just letting ya know..
Found a couple new(well at leats to me heh heh)crafting stuff,needle and thread and hmmm forgot other one.But looks even better heh heh...
I still say "they"look like books hehh heh.. ;)
nuff said
Hades

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:57 pm

Bugger. Well I'll have another look and if they still don't behave, I'll just set the corpses to explode on death...

Hades
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Hades » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:00 am

Well it could be just me heh heh,but it just happened again...However I am just letting them surround me and then I kill them,haven't really tried spacing them out but fact remains they are unwalkable heh heh. ;)
Oh and the drops seem to have been a bit better in underdark heh heh,or I'm just getting lucky. :) All I've been doing is the underdark with my pally lol.
The potion's from gheed are indeed longer and a bit tougher heh heh.Tried testing a bunch of them out of town just to check it out.Damn was nasty to get iron maiden on myself while hitting something,but I like to gamble with those potions makes the game more exciting.My way of having fun,heh heh,some of the people I have some games with are left scratching their head when I all of a sudden get a curse on myself,iron maiden or poisoned.And then they ask me what happened lol...They think I'm nuts playing that way using those as healing potions lol...
I'm off to check out more stuff till someone wants to have a.92 game...
nuff said
Hades
Oh yeah for got,the underdark level 6 looks better....hmmm more "unique"if you get my meaning.. ;)
Last edited by Hades on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:08 am

Short Version: The problem in monstats2.txt WAS fixed for v0.92b but after undoing a tweak to Belhifet, his monstatex column was no longer pointing to the fixed monstats2 line hence the problem remaining. Fixed for v0.93 though.

Not got any really nasty potions yet?

So if you've been doing the Underdark did you get chance to check out level 6's slightly tweaked layout and new super unique?

QW_Shadow
Paladin

Post by QW_Shadow » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:03 am

[quote=Phrozen Heart";p="217965"]Possibly yes. In your case it's more the "I just spent HOW MUCH for a crappy rejuv potion???" scenario. In some cases you can get skill/stat/experience points which are considered the premium potions but there's also temporary effect ones (such as a longer lasting version of a fire resistance potion) and rejuv potions of varying strengths (like the one you found). On the negative side of things there's 4 or 5 different strengths of poison, self-inflicted curses and the new additions are the nasty potions (which permanently reduce your stamina by 50 for instance). There's no mixed blessing potions, they're all either good, mediocre or dangerous.[/quote]

So basically you waste your money if you buy one and get a bad potion? Do the bad ones actually say permently reduce stamina by 50 (or what ever)?

Or are the bad stats hidden? lets say you buy one and drink it and even though it says increases hp by 25, it actually reduces it permently sorta thing?

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:18 am

Nope there's no deception involved, once you utilize the scrying glass it's true properties are revealed so yes it will say exactly what you're getting from the potion.

QW_Shadow
Paladin

Post by QW_Shadow » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:50 am

But whats the point of having bad potions then? Whos actually stupid enough to drink them? lol

I mean Havvoric made a program so that potions can give negative stats, but whats the point becuase I really cant see anyone drinking the bad ones :/

Am I missing something?

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:28 pm

The potions are drinkable BEFORE they're identified which provides the risk but a lot of people seem to like to live dangerously and drink them without transmuting so the effect is unknown up until that point.

Hades
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Hades » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:05 pm

Like me heh heh,it's not that I'm dumb or anything lol.I just like to add that extra challenge into my gameplay,kind of like cursed item's from some "other"games.But for me it brings the "whats going to happen.."kind of thing and gives me more interest lol.Kind of like having the fire enchanted uniques,not say they're fire enchanted,then kill em and find out the hard way.Brings more mystery to the game..At least I think...but then again maybe I'm just nuts the way I play lol...
nuff said
Hades
btw..scrying glass is really hard to find now bud,heh heh.I like it that way,encourages my kind of risk taking lol.And as for the super unique monster in the level 6 underdark,is it the hook horror one?Thats all I see new,well besides the nice new look.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:11 pm

The new super unique is the drow right before the gold chest (no not the "drow bodyguard" ones if they happen to spawn).

[edit]

Thinking about it, the holy shock around the unique and minions should give them away ;)
Last edited by Phrozen Heart on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hades
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Hades » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:49 pm

Ahhh ok now I know which one heh heh.For the life of me I thought he was there before lol.Guess I've been seeing too many drow's to tell the difference. ;)
But I do like the underdark a lot,and now that I've been strictly doing that level in single,well the drops have been very nice.Trying to finish Uthegentals set right now.I have the fork,ammy,and belt but so far looks nice.I'm using the blanket of stars for armor and hope the set armor is as good or better heh heh.
Tricha's ..hmm what can I say about them..but I hate em and love em at the same time lol..
nuff said
Hades

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:03 pm

He? HE? And you call yourself an AD&D enthusiast? ;) She is probably one of the most known Drow on Faerun...well...at least her son is...

As for Uthegental, it's almost fitting you'd find pieces of a Drow weapon master's set in the Underdark :D You say you're using the Blanket of Stars? That's the unique bolstered leather right? Hmmm...not sure how it compares to Uthegental's armor (Uthegental's Anvil?) but Drow Full Plate in itself is a base 500ish AC at least :)

QW_Shadow
Paladin

Post by QW_Shadow » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:20 pm

Hades -- What do you mean hard to find? They drop like candy for me ;)

Phrozen -- I understand now, just seemed kind of odd to me at first.

BTW, about scrying glasses --what is the purpose of their levels? Do the high level ones give better potions?

Also.. im new to this mod, but have beaten it in normal. The thing is I didnt seem to come across this "Underdark" Place. If you could give me hint to where its at, or which act its in, that would be great. Thanks

erevos
Hosted Forum Moderator
Paladin
Greece

Post by erevos » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:54 pm

Underdark is the cave in the old Tamoe highlands before Monastery. and a question! why Gheed in nightmare dont sell unmarked potions;

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:06 am

It's a weird thing with D2 vendor mechanics that let's me either allow the potions to be drank prior using a scrying glass and balance their ratios as I chose OR make them available in all acts. The other gambling in acts 2, 3 and 4 were an attempt to make up for it ;)

johnyod

Post by johnyod » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:01 am

hey.. i really like all the buyable stuff, but i think buyable ingrediants for crafted items would be cool too... you could always crank up the price so its not too unbalancing

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:51 pm

Unfortunately cranking their price still doesn't guarantee balancing as high level players can still max out their money on a regular basis. As things stand right now, a L20 with the base 15%MF has the same chance of finding a reagent as a L99 with 500% MF which evens the playing field a little. By making certain reagents buyable you pretty much ensure that high level players will be maxed out in that particular stat asap. Now a "Reagent Box"-type gamble is something else entirely...

cc
Paladin

Post by cc » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:30 pm

As nice as the nerfing of reduced vendor price items is, I fear you left the worst item as it was. The Rune of Intimidation still grants 10%. Could you explain your reasoning behind that decision? My gambling gear in v0.91b included 70% reduce from runes and only a bit from other items, which could have been easily replaced by simply using another item socketed with 3 runes. Do you think the nerfing of the other items will be suficient for other people not to get enough runes? Provided they didn't already stockpile them in v0.91b like me. ;)
I think the rune shouldn't have more than 2% in order to be balanced.

The reagent gambling seems like a nice idea, but in order to keep it balanced perhaps there should be only a 10% chance to actually get a reagent and 90% being some kind of cracked sash. With my current sorc gloves already featuring 50% faster cast, nearly 30% enhanced fire and cold damage, 30% reduced fire and cold resistance for enemys, 50% magic find etc. actually getting a reagent each time you buy a "box" seems to be much too strong.
I noticed that you changed the properties of the small pelt reagent because they duplicated another one. The only thing I'm wondering now is: What's the difference between yeti scalp (absorbing 1% of all cold damage) and the new small pelt (+2 cold absorb) ?

Yesterday I found a BoL that started being about some book telling you all those nice funny things about being an adventurer and in the mid of a sentence turned into another one about a band of thieves discovering some lost city or monastery. Afterwards in a new game I found a BoL with the whole story of those thieves, so that one seems to be working. I know the description of the concerned BoLs isn't too good, but I've got a sucky memory for names.
Last edited by cc on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Niemand darf mir glauben, wenn ich lache oder weine,
Niemand darf von Zukunft reden, denn ich sehe wirklich keine,
Nur wenn ich die Augen schließe geh' ich jedesmal zu weit:
Es ist nur eine Frage des Momentes und der Zeit."
- Samsas Traum "Scherben bringen Glück"

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:44 pm

[quote=cc";p="218205"]As nice as the nerfing of reduced vendor price items is, I fear you left the worst item as it was. The Rune of Intimidation still grants 10%. Could you explain your reasoning behind that decision? My gambling gear in v0.91b included 70% reduce from runes and only a bit from other items, which could have been easily replaced by simply using another item socketed with 3 runes. Do you think the nerfing of the other items will be suficient for other people not to get enough runes? Provided they didn't already stockpile them in v0.91b like me. ;)
I think the rune shouldn't have more than 2% in order to be balanced.[/quote]
My amazingly complex and well thought out reason for that decision is "ah crap, I forgot that one" ;) I might even make the rune something totally different rather than vendor reduce as enough of those and a spare 6 socketed polearm could prove fatal for the "economy" :roll:

[quote=cc";p="218205"]The reagent gambling seems like a nice idea, but in order to keep it balanced perhaps there should be only a 10% chance to actually get a reagent and 90% being some kind of cracked sash. With my current sorc gloves already featuring 50% faster cast, nearly 30% enhanced fire and cold damage, 30% reduced fire and cold resistance for enemys, 50% magic find etc. actually getting a reagent each time you buy a "box" seems to be much too strong.[/quote]
Definately, we were debating on a few different approachs but we're not even sure we're going ahead with it in any form just yet.

[quote=cc";p="218205"]I noticed that you changed the properties of the small pelt reagent because they duplicated another one. The only thing I'm wondering now is: What's the difference between yeti scalp (absorbing 1% of all cold damage) and the new small pelt (+2 cold absorb) ?[/quote]
Pagan asked me the same thing ;) The pelt is literally just two points of cold damage absorption while the scalp is a percentile.

[quote=cc";p="218205"]Yesterday I found a BoL that started being about some book telling you all those nice funny things about being an adventurer and in the mid of a sentence turned into another one about a band of thieves discovering some lost city or monastery. Afterwards in a new game I found a BoL with the whole story of those thieves, so that one seems to be working. I know the description of the concerned BoLs isn't too good, but I've got a sucky memory for names.[/quote]
Hmmm...well obviously the adventurer one is "How To Be An Adventurer" but the other one isn't ringing any bells :-|
Last edited by Phrozen Heart on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulthrion
Paladin

Post by Ulthrion » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:25 pm

The conviction skill for paladins no longer gives a -% defence for enemies like it used to (and seeing my misses in melee, I'm guessing that it's not just the text that's missing, but also the effect). Was this intentional or not?

Farseer Ulthrion

Return to “Pagan Heart”