Desert Mercenary's Teleportation Ability

The Seven Lances mod forum has moved to http://www.sevenlances.com.

Remove Desert Mercenary's teleportation ability?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 11

FoxBat
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Desert Mercenary's Teleportation Ability

Post by FoxBat » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:42 pm

As some have mentioned, a desert merc without teleportation is easier to control. They stay out of battle, unless you back up and let them take over. This means they don't prod LEBs, and don't get themselves killed often, and can sit back and just provide you with whatever aura you want. However, if you are playing a melee character, it's hard to keep the merc attacking the enemy and giving a helping hand. It means you have to back up more often as a ranged character if you want to keep the merc in front. I don't want the confusion of 6 different types of desert mercs, three teleporting and three non, so for them it's all one way or the other. If you want a front-line attacker, the barbarians work better with their whirlwind, and I think I'll add charge to them as well. But maybe some people want the desert mercs as a front line attacker mixed with aura. Thoughts?

Omni

Post by Omni » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:01 am

I voted NO!, if only because I like the flavor that the teleportation adds. I've never thought of myself as a particularly skilled player, but even I can find the safe spots in an LEB's spray pretty easily, and that's with lag. If I thought dying to things like LEB's was bad enough to whine for a change to the mod, I'd just start a new game whenever I saw an LEB or Extra Strong boss. I imagine that's what a lot of HC players do anyway, so I don't really see the problem.

If you do end up removing the teleportation, I would suggest adding it to the Act 3 Iron Wolf mercs. You can't really control them anyway, so having them jump around wouldn't be any more dangerous. Plus, having the Iron Wolves teleporting makes more thematic sense. I always found it a bit incongruous that town guards are blinking around the screen, and with a lightning effect no less.

But then again, the teleport is simply the Assassin's Dragon Flight, correct? Having the Iron Wolves teleporting into the fray might not work so well...

/shrug

Quark

Post by Quark » Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:03 am

It's not just LEBs, though. It's everything.

When I got my Act 2 merc he had a weak aura and wasn't attacking ... but I figured it was alright since his aura would be nice later on. Then he turned level 18, and constantly teleported into monsters only to die. Everytime. No matter the monster. Act 2 mercs can't tank anymore, so they should have no incentive to try so ... A merc dying constantly when you have no way to help isn't challenging, it's annoying.

sheepdog

Post by sheepdog » Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:31 pm

I voted "Yes" to remove the teleportation.

I'm currently playing a bowie and having to frequently resurrect the Act2 merc is terribly annoying. I'm not concerned with the LEB issue, but the loss of the merc's aura after he teleports into the middle of a pack of critters and then can't find a route to walk back means a dead merc and no aura. :( I'm not really concerned that he isn't killing anything or even fighting very often now, but the aura loss really hurts.

Return to “Seven Lances”