Odin’s Runeword Mod

Information and updates for the Odin's Runeword Mod by mishy23. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. The mod has been discontinued by the author

Moderator: mishy23

xeno

Re: Odin?s Runeword Mod

Post by xeno » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:38 am

Just have made some runewords for you (tell me how dou you like'em):

Devourer
[Power] Melee Weapon
-10% Monster Defense Per Hit
(7-9)% Life Stolen Per Hit
+2 to Corpse Explosion (oskill)
Damage -25%
Level 1 Blood Lust Aura When Equipped
(prayer-type aura, which decreases some counter over time and grants you hp-regen if positive and drain life if negative. This counter is also increasing with your number of kills. Diablo has a great unused animation just for this aura!)
The main idea of this item's props is to fit the name: Devourer. With this item you'll get a small devourer in yourself. It'll recklessly (-% dmg) devour the flesh of your enemies (-defense/hit and life leech), defile their corpses (corpse explosion). But due to it's instant hunger, kill for your life or you'll get consumed by yourself.

Dichotomy
[Power] Torso, I guess
5% Chance To Cast Level 3 Lower Resist When Attack
-40..40 to Lightning Resistance (Increases Near Dawn)
-40..40 to Fire Resistance (Increases During Daytime)
-40..40 to Cold Resistance (Increases Near Dusk)
-40..40 to Poison Resistance (Increases During Nighttime)
+(1-2) to Salvation (oskill)
Dichotomy means that this item will contain two parts: good and evil. Then I selected elemental thematics. Sou you get the pairs: curse - lower resist and holy aura - increase resists, plus time-based bonuses to your resistances. Instead of salvation-LR, you can select whatever you want, e.g. ethereal-indestruct or Slows Target by 25% and Instant Decrepify Curse When Equipped (light decrepify, not -50% speed, but maybe 20).

Avalanche Strike
[Power] Missile Weapon
Level 2 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
+(1-2) to Amazon Skill Levels
25% Increased Attack Speed
Fires Extra Fast Arrows
Fires Multiple Arrows (or Multishot oskill)
Avalanche...name speaks for itself. Just for balancing purposes, I didn't add dmg% or AR% (something that amazons instantly lack). Maybe the speed of this weapon's attacks will be sufficient bonus for survival.
Last edited by xeno on Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ausculta et perpende. (Be swift to hear, slow to speak)

WarWolf
Paladin

Post by WarWolf » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:07 am

Progress Report:

Level 19 Charger Paladin

Just killed Anadriel, first time i found chipped and tiny runes. Highest Rune I found until now was Geb (7). I had some trouble down in Andariels Layer, the rooms were crowded with enemies, but I liked it :) . Just discovered 3 Power Runewords + Journeys Start, but you told that everyone :) . Pretty funny so far.

Did you already notice, that Fable (5 + 1) raises the level required to 24? I think this might be because of the +1 Fade skill. Well, I will just play a little Doom 3 now and then recover from all the shocking moments by playing rune mod again, stay tuned :mrgreen:

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Odin’s Runeword Mod

Post by mishy23 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:37 pm

Mishy23 here again,

Runeword ideas always welcomed, just a few comments, about adding unique skills to runewords, I don't want to do this in normal difficulty, but for nm and hell runewords I definately will be doing this. I like the bloodlust idea, but making these skills does take alot of work, and will slow me down, I have a few other ideas like this.
If you feel up to adding these skills yourself and send me the text files, I can add them to what I already have.

As for affixes based on time, I really do not like how these work, and decided before I began that I would not use these, maybe in a very rare case. So in the case of Dichotomy, I do not think I would add something like this. I know other ppl's opinions differ, but I just don't like abilities that vary from positive to negative based on a time system when you cant tell what time of day it is in D2.

I definately like the other 2 examples though, though there already is one runeword that has a corpse explode oskill. Feel free to post any power rune words if you want.
And if anyone has any non-class skills they would like to share, I'm always up to adding them on items.

Warwolf, thanks for the info on fable, I didn't know that, i'll have to look into it and might have to change the runes for that runeword.
Yeah Andariel's lair and areas right before that were definately filled with lots of monsters, I don't want monster generators but I want act bosses to be tougher with more minions and the such, glad to hear it was hard but that you were able to get past it. Beware of the sewers in act2, nasty place, might want to skip and come back to it.
I've also noticed that the cube recipes are dropping quite rare, I havent made up my mind if i like this or not.

Kiwi, don't worry, play when you can, no time commitments needed, I understand how real life gets busy.

Seems like we got a few paladins, hoepfully someone will play test another class ;)

Question: How do the automods on the items seem, I know no one is too far in the game, but wondering about first impressions, since staffmods were taken out and there was over 200 lines added to automagic.

Also I definately need to know about monster balance in act2, I did not play test much past act1. Who thinks I should change around what monsters appear in what areas?

I havent had too much time too work on the mod, hopefully in a couple of weeks i can release an update to include runewords for runes11 and 12.
And tweak the existing runewords and other stuff.

Wow 55 downloads it says, i'm impressed.
-Mishy23

EDIT:
My first change i will implement currently will be monsters, after researching how to do a few things, I will be making more uniques
appear on some boards, different monster types appearing on different boards, and change levels of some of the boards (basically upping the levels on the early boards to coincide with the increase in characters level, so the ar/def curve isnt as bad as it is right now), I will also lower some monster stats to balance them being higher level.

Please keep reporting runewords that are increasing the levels of items too much, so far I have: Fable, Wind's Echo, Sea's Lullaby.
I will be going over all the runewords in teh game and tweaking themalso.

I am still looking for a doable way to show which runes are in the items, for amgic and rare items that dont show them, I really dont want to have to add properties for this but got no better idea so far.

Then if no other bugs show up, i'll try to add another 100-200 runewords and upload beta v103 ;) but that will be about 2-3 weeks away.
Last edited by mishy23 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Modding status: Project X}

xeno

Post by xeno » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:45 pm

Some quick notices before I go to sleep.

[quote=mishy23";p="187993"]
I just don't like abilities that vary from positive to negative based on a time system when you cant tell what time of day it is in D2.
[/quote]
I think it's possible to include a special starter unique charm that will display current Diablo II time of day.

...Beware of the sewers in act2, nasty place, might want to skip and come back to it.
[/quote]
Ghm...erm...I don't think so. When having Clay Golem through oskill, I simply cast it behind the archers and kill fighters. They it comes archer's turn ;) I've already wrote you that I don't like the way summons work, because many of ppl misuse them as tanks. And I consider it to be quite lame. Maybe you'll change something, e.g. they'll have less hp, so will die fastly, when erroneously misused as tanks.

I am still looking for a doable way to show which runes are in the items, for amgic and rare items that dont show them, I really dont want to have to add properties for this but got no better idea so far.
[/quote]

Maybe you should add runeword part names to the name of the runeword (smth. like that. Name: "Journey's Beginning [1-1]", Description (optional, if you could enable one): "FehFeh"). Simple, but effective solution, I think

Good game!

P.S. Tomorrow I'll try to write more thorough analysis of the gameplay (overpowered runewords, expressions about monsters and some more).

EDIT 1 (After approx. 20 minutes).
Have just found Eld rune (r11) in Swampy Pit Level 2 (I already have 1xr10+3xr09+1xr08+1xr07+(>5)xr06). I bet that r10+r10 is something special (I've just found cool crystal sword for it). Ahhhh...Good Night!
Last edited by xeno on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:15 pm

Great idea, I will add the short notation of [x - x] to all the runewords!

I will definately take into consideration of summons and there tank ability.
I will probably balance skills out so keep up the feedback, though this will probably be a bit further down the road.

I just rebalanced a few runewords, some should be slightly stronger, some more common itemtypes for power runes.

I reallyw ant one item tested so I will spoil the hunt a bit,
someone when they can please create 10-8 sword/knife/club,
it has a state change and I want to make sure it works.

Is clay golem oskill that powerful I remember having one that was +3 and it was dying quite fast in act2, then again i'm a cast and forget kind of player.
Well back to work on the mod.
-mishy23

Xeno:
Hmm well you are in act3 and that is as far as the beta stretches for runes, so finding runes above 10 dont disturn me to much you probably got some good drops, but i think i might have to redcue higher rune drops alittle. Yes there will be tons of lower runes and they probably wont be worth picking up but i cant prevent that and have rune drops drop often enough for experimentation. The big thing is finding that cool rare item to put it in. BTW creul prefix is max of 250 in this mod, i had to balance that out a bit.

but you should have enough power to get through act4.
I will pump more runewords out as fast as possible, but without having them be too mechanical.
If I remember Mephisto has amy interesting effect if you hit him too much.
Last edited by mishy23 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zuzie

Post by Zuzie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:34 pm

Hi Mishy!

I've been watching this mod since I heard about it, and was very excited to be able to download it yesterday. And, I must admit, I'm quite impressed. I've played to Act II with a barbarian, and it seems to have remained rather balanced. Monsters are hard enough still that I need to back up and re-evaluate what I'm doing, but not so hard that walking into a group of them makes me feel suicidal. I do have a couple of questions though :)

Firstly, do you have any kind of guideline on when I'm supposed to be getting runes? I got 2 Wun runes (8) back in the Blood Moor, but haven't gotten any above 6 since then. Seemed rather odd to me, but I may simply have been really lucky.

Secondly, back in Act I, did you happen to give the quill rats some kind of thorns? That was driving me mad; I'd hit one, then die. Didn't seem like the quill rats actually had to hit me to kill me, so long as I hit them. And, unlike some of the other monster skills, there was no graphic accompanying it. It was kind of odd, but certainly quite interesting.

I love the different colors on the monsters, by the way. I scared me half to death when I started the game though; I thought the Blood Moor was filled with champions and uniques!

Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to that next update!

Edit: Another thing I just noticed when I was reading through your readme; it says that amulets have MF automods, but I've yet to see an amulet have any MF, and I've gotten quite a few at this point. Just thought you'd like to know :D
Last edited by Zuzie on Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:04 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Zuzie,

Glad to hear the monsters seem sorta balanced.

For rune drops, I dont have my info in front of me but I believe they should drop like this for normal.
Act1 - 1-4
Act2 - 4-7
Act3 - 7-10
Act4 - 10-13
Act5 - 13-16

That is the range things shold drop in, obviously though each rune has a chance for being down-graded. I will be raising this downgrade percentage in the next patch. So higher runes are slightly more rare. Rune#8 in act1 is extremely high, I believe its because they way I have it if rune#1 is downgraded, it spawns a random rune between 1 and 8,
Hmm, the chance of getting #8 rune of of that are very very slim, and you found 2? thats amazing, you shold play the lottery, I believe the chance is about 1 in 2000 to find #8 through this way.

Mystery runes work of a different system (they are a modified version of the gem drop tables, so these can sometimes in rare cases spawn a high level rune as well)

Over all i'm happy with how the runes are dropping, I will tweak here and there, but no really bad drops happening like rune#20 in act1 occurring.

As for quill rats they do have thorns, and you are right I was just thinking that is too harsh for blood more, next patch quill rats won't appear until a few areas later. Its strange though as the thorn animation does show up when I play.

Also, the amulets should have mf automods, but I believe they dont kick in until level 10, not sure why i decided that, i'll look into it and maybe have the automods work on all levels, I did for rings, i'm not sure why i didn't for amulets.

EDIT: One more thing, has anyone tried any cube recipes, I have not tested any. And I hope they work, I know alot are later game stuff, and that the cubing runes are dropping quite rarely, but wanted to know if everything is working.
I have one more cube recipe I added after the release and that is item+cracked rune = item+extra durability.

Well until next time,
-mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xeno

Post by xeno » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:32 pm

A hoooooooorrible bug! 8-O 8-O
When I make 10-2 runeword in weapons it crashes the game. Was it a bomb?! ;)
Last edited by xeno on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:46 pm

I'll check it out when I get home, I think i found 3 typos yesterday, but i'll make sure that was one of them, its possible 2-10 might still work.
Hopefully its just a typo atleast.
Thanks for stepping on the landmind to save the rest of us.

xeno

Post by xeno » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:22 pm

Please describe the bug when you'll get it fixed. I've got only one crash due to txt editing (cyclic reference to self), so I'm very curious about the reason of this error.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:39 pm

I checked the files out, and it was a simple typo, I had the name of the rune mispelled, instead of Runeword219 it was Runeword1219,
and runewords are fickle things, they will crash D2 if they dont have a string name in the tbls.
-mishy23

EDIT: You guys are gonna wanna start over, I just redesigned alot of monster placement in act1 and up'd the number of uniques that appear.
You might even see a hellcow if you aren't careful.

Okay act2 monsters redone as well, and alittle bit of balance done, won't be so many fallens but some areas levels were increased in the beginning, to stop monsters from falling back behind the ar-level curve.
Back to modding...Maybe I can get in some quick Runewords, before I release v103 tommorrow

EDIT AGAIN: All 5 acts have had there monster redone to spawn differently, the change is not huge. Most of the monsters that used to spawn in certain areas still spawn there, but now there is the adition of a couple of other monster types that may spawn there.
Plus most areas will spawn more than 3 monster types at a time,
some areas like the famous bloody runs, actually spawn 7 different monster types (out of a possible 10 different types)
Last edited by mishy23 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

xeno

Post by xeno » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:05 am

Silence of the Sphinx
Headgear

Level 3 Concentration Aura When Equipped
Slows Target by 15%
Damage Reduced by (7-15)%
Fire Resist +(30-50)%
Prevent Monster Heal
The name speaks for itself: silence means concentration (aura); Noone can resist sphinx's stare (slow and no-heal); egyptian sphinx is mage of stone (dr%) and was waiting under incinerating sun for many centuries (fire resist).

The Last Chance
Melee Weapons

+3 to Berserk (oskill)
20% Increased Attack Speed
Crushing Blow 33%
All Resistances -(30..40)
Ethereal
This weapon gives the last chance to a hero, mighty enough for wearing it! When the death's breeze is near, there is only one way. All strength and agility must be concentrated into the last strike: swift (ias) and powerful (crush), but reckless (oskill and -resists). This extremely powerful ability is gained only through afterlife's world enchantment (ethereal).

All Flesh Is Grass
Torso armor

+4 to Carrion Vine (oskill)
(50-100)% Enhanced Defense
Replenish Life +(25-35)
Increase Maximum Life 15%
Double Herb Duration
(C) by Isaac Asimov. "All Flesh Is Grass" - that is the ultimate knowledge, available only to the most enlightened druids. Now, due to the Unmentioned God, every hero can re-discover ancient forces of nature. His (or her) skin becomes tree-like (ac%) and blood becomes rejunevating (+% HP, hp-regen). This armor can also reveal another secret of ancient druids: effective herb usage (herb).

Freezing Curse
Shields

12% Chance to Cast Level 4 Amplify Damage When Striking
+1 to Decrepify (oskill)
Curse Duration Reduced by 33%
Freezes Target +(1-3)
Slows Self by 10%
Cold Resistance -33%
Such shield possesses the magical energy of a powerful spell, released by Nihlathak to imprison Anya. It has an ability to chill enemies to bones (freeze) and gives a hero great knowledge about mighty curses (hit-skill, oskill) and how to protect from them (curse-res). Alas, this spell had an error: Nihlathak didn't have enough power to oppose wild elemental forces (self-debuff, -resist).

Chorus of the Cursed
Gloves

+1 to Dodge (oskill)
+(1-2) to Necromancer Curses
30% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 57-115 Magic Damage
6% Chance to Cast Level 3 Confuse When You Kill An Enemy
These gloves were created by a once powerful necromancer Rath'Ma. He spent all his life studying deadly curses (+necro, %fcr). There are legends that Rath'Ma became unstoppable in battle: his blade was enchanted by powerful ether (dmg-mag) and he could instantly dodge all your strikes (oskill). Rath'Ma defiled souls of his victims and summoned horrible spirits to pursue his enemies(death-skill). Wailing of these spirits, indistinguishable from their own thoughts, urged them to strike at friend and foe alikebuilds. After some time the spirits drove necromancer's enemies mad.

Dance of the Cobra
Girdles

+2 to Cobra Strike (oskill)
15% Deadly Strike
Adds 3-58 Lightning Damage
15% Lightning Absorb
Knockback
Not every warrior dares to have a snake as a girdle. But it can grant him outstanding battle abilities (deadly%, knockback) and instant attacks (light dmg, abs-light%).

Onwards and Upwards
Boots

30% Faster Run/Walk
+2 to Vigor (Paladin Only)
+(0.5 per clvl) 0-49 to Dexterity (Based On Character Level)
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+5 to Light Radius
True faith (+vigor) and purity in spirit (+light radius) make paladins really unstoppable (FRW and ac/miss).

:!: I'm looking forward to hearing your comments and suggestions. Everyone is welcome ;)
Last edited by xeno on Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:51 pm

I pretty much like all them ideas, they will need to be higher level then what I am adding right now, but definately are very nice and very thought out. I like the narratives with them, too bad you can't add that to the game.
One question, double herb duration, is that already built in the game or is that property that needs to be created (plus does that work on potions?)

-mishy23

xeno

Post by xeno » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:21 pm

[quote=mishy23";p="188234"]
...they will need to be higher level then what I am adding right now....
[/quote]
My thoughts about their level:
Silence of the Sphinx Could be acquired in the middle of Normal;
The Last Chance Definitely is one of uber weapons;
All Flesh Is Grass Late normal, early nightmare;
Freezing Curse Mid nightmare, early hell;
Chorus of the Cursed Mid nightmare, early hell;
Dance of the Cobra Early nightmare;
Onwards and Upwards Normal difficulty;

...but definately are very nice and very thought out. I like the narratives with them, too bad you can't add that to the game.
[/quote]
Why not? What about the recipie: runeworded item+smth=runeworded item+an appropriate scroll with the narrative?

One question, double herb duration, is that already built in the game or is that property that needs to be created (plus does that work on potions?)
[/quote]
I'll test this right now (wait for updates of this message)!
UPDATE 1: That doesn't work :(

Good Game!
Last edited by xeno on Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:20 pm

Sad to hear that doesnt work, I thought it was anotbher property i wasnt aware of,
anyway if you are up for developing some more runewords, I am in need of rune#12 runewords, 12-1 to 12-12. They are about level 25-30 runewords, for late act3, early act4 normal.

Onwards and Up could be used, still think sphinx with 15% dr and dmg aura is to strong for normal diff, and All flesh is grass would need to be act5 normal.

Remember the rune properties plus the possibility of rare mods are added to these items, cant make someone invincible in normal.

If we add a narrative it would be a finishing touch I think after all gameplay is finished, it would take alot of time for me to add narratives in for every single power rune word.
Plus I need to find a workable scroll system, possible will need code editting, as what they provider you with in the game isnt that good.
Thats why I canceled scroll clues before beta began.
-Mishy

EDIT: Any ideas you want implemented not dealing with runewords for v103, or any bug fixes/balances anyone thinks are needed?
Last edited by mishy23 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ETA

Post by ETA » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:39 am

Mishy cool Mod!

Yes it does work Runes 10-8 make Kingpins AlterEgo!
Frodo Lives

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:26 am

Clue scrolls will require a big chunk of code editing. I know kingpin worked on them, but he hasn't released a plugin. There is always the Book of Lore plugin, both in original form and as part of D2Mod.dll. Narratives and clues are quite feasible, and they can be tailored closely to character progression.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:35 am

Hi Myhrginoc!
Personally what im looking for is a way to cube a runeword with a scroll item, and have it record that you made the runeword, like a running tally on how many runewords you made, and what the rune combinations, something as simple as, Runeword Name [rune combination] in a nice list, its seeming impossible right now, any clues if non-code editing this is possible.
Also we wanted to be able to have a story behind every runeword that you could get with a cube recipe but that would need runes as well,
i dont think i wanted to add the lore books code edit, but ill look at it more closely, im stubborn and have done everything homegrown so far and dont really want to use any plugins but we'll see.
I can live with out the fancy scrolls.
I will be updating the runeword names so you can tell what runes were used for them, it'll just take some time to put the silly [4-6] notaion in each one.
Kingpin has a that coded edit for recording quests, many i'd love to have something like that, maybe after DA's copyright ends in 50 years i'll be able to have something like that hehe.

Oh well i can keep myself busy adding runewords for now,
By the way everyone, Xeno is a fulltime modder for ORM now,
so i'm not going solo anymore. Blame all bugs on him ;)
I'm not sure if he knows what hes getting into yet ;)

But I tell you for text editting only and not adding graphics or new flashy skills, we are going to have the best low budget mod ever ;)
Thanks for all the cool feedback, it definately makes my day ;)
V1.03 Beta should be uploaded on the keep soon, so keep an eye out, it should introduce some interesting monster updates. Sorry no more runewords were released, but me and Xeno are working hard to release more runewords as fast as we can.

Goodnight,
-Mishy23

EDIT: Thanks ETA! quick question, did Kingpin's AlterEgo transform the player into a monster? dont want to spoil what its supposed to change you to for everyone else.
Last edited by mishy23 on Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Malachor
Paladin

Post by Malachor » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:24 pm

It's a shame we can't get Charsi to imbue an item :( , since everything's socketed. Any way you could change that? :)

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:11 pm

It's a shame we can't get Charsi to imbue an item icon_sad.gif , since everything's socketed. Any way you could change that?
A way would be if recipe for convert socketed item to normal item was added :P

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:01 pm

Unfortunately this makes the item without sockets, and i'd have to have another recipe to add the sockets back, I still might do this, maybe there is a simpel code edit that even I can handle to allow socketed items to be used by charsi i'll look around forums.

Thanks for bringing this up I knew about this 'bug' and wanted to squash it soon.
The only other known bug is with the 2 new belt types, sorc sashes, and druid pouches, they dont correctly show the belt slots, i'll hopefully have a fix for both soon.
-mishy23

ETA

Post by ETA » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:29 pm

[quote=mishy23";p="188329"]EDIT: Thanks ETA! quick question, did Kingpin's AlterEgo transform the player into a monster? dont want to spoil what its supposed to change you to for everyone else.[/quote]

Let's just say I now know why you named it "Alter Ego" the transformation works fine.

As for Clue Scrolls perhaps you could initially add some for just the Power Words or add a few hints to power words in the NPC dialogs.
Frodo Lives

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:34 pm

You read some of my mind, since clue scrolls just aint gonna work like I want them to, I was going to look into adding clues in the dialogue that no one reads anymore and since its character based some places, I can add clues in, for example about bow power words, in the dialogue for amazons.
Great idea, one step ahead of you. ;) Now to think of ingenius ways to work clues into the dialogue without being blatant, but not being to cryptic.
-Mishy23

EDIT: word of warning, I figured levels.txt controlled monster levels, but found out too late that monstats is what controls it in norm diff, so when i moved some orig act5 mosters to the lower acts, they are spawning at a very high level, making them extremely difficult.
I am repairing this as quick as possible, but please report any area where new monsters are appearing that are too high alevel, you should notice this by too high hp and your to hit chance will be very low because of the level curve.

But the bonus to fighting the tougher monsters is that you will see high level items drop to, this should be fixed in next patch, but til then, watch your back ;)

Quick update: 108 more rune words added, total now is 508, fine balancing has taken place, and in the process of adding runeword clues to the npc dialogues and adding new properties for runewords.
-Mishy

UPDATE 8/17:
Haven't heard much feedback from any players, hope it isn't that boring, next update will be alot better, alot more balance/challenge/runewords.
Anyone have any more suggestions, I'm at a point where I can add some new features. Though no code editting.
-mishy23

UPDATE 8/18/04
I am building some new skills that will apear on some of the runewords,
if anybody has a cool idea for a skill they'd like to see let me know, I'm open as far as ideas. (Working on 2 auras, and a direct attack spell atm)
-Mishy
Last edited by mishy23 on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WarWolf
Paladin

Post by WarWolf » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:07 am

I just wanted to report that I will got on vacation for the next 3 weeks, don't wonder why I'm not posting ^^ good luck

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:40 pm

Excuse me for the delay in any new updates. I know v1.03b has some flaws and bugs.

But you will be happy to know that version 1.05b (v.104b was only released to a few internal beta testers, because of some serious bug hunting) should be out in a week or two,
and with this new update will come the following features:
1)Monsters fully balanced! Playability should be 100% now.
2)200+ extra runewords!
3)All new properties that spawn on runewords.
Examples: +AR (based of Str)
Attack adds stun.
+x-x fire dmg (based on Energy)
Cast Lv# XXX when struck by spells! (My pride and joy)
If time allows, runeword hints will be added to NPC speech.

We have run multilple characters through the first 4 acts, and I am happy to report that monster balance is a beautiful thing. As is the nice difficulty, whew you sure can get mobbed if you rush into things.
Items are accurately falling in correct areas, including rune drops balanced correctly.
Wow the new update will be a huge step, and I just had to share, but of course I'm not rushing this update, as I want it to be bug-free.

EDIT:
check out some pics of new properties that can appear on items, these are not real items, just spawned to show off some new abilities.

album_page.php?pic_id=350
album_page.php?pic_id=351
Last edited by mishy23 on Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Odin's Runeword Mod”