Odin’s Runeword Mod

Information and updates for the Odin's Runeword Mod by mishy23. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. The mod has been discontinued by the author

Moderator: mishy23

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: Odin’s Runeword Mod

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:01 pm

It's not that small a problem. Rune order matters, and mishy is allowing runewords with repeated runes (e.g. Feh-Feh). That makes it more transparent for us, but a lot more work for him. (Mishy is smart to stop at two-rune words and two sockets in everything, as will be clear soon enough.)

The formula for finding the number of combinations of k objects you can choose from a set of n objects is:
            n!
n_C_k = ----------
        k!(n - k)!
The formula for finding the number of permutations of size k taken from n objects is:
           n! 
n_P_k = --------  
        (n - k)!
But the formula for finding the number of permutations of size k taken from n objects when repeats are allowed is:

n_R_k = n ^ k

Now repeated runes in runewords are really combinations, not permutations, so the number we are interested in (n_R'_k) is a bit less than n_R_k. We don't really care which Feh rune goes in first when we make Feh-Feh, in a two-rune word, or Feh-Thor-Feh in a three-rune word. (But Feh-Thor-Feh is still different from Feh-Feh-Thor or Thor-Feh-Feh. General note, in the two rune case, n_R_k = n_R'_k.)

Misjy has 32 runes we can use in runewords. Just looking at two-rune words alone, n_C_k = 496, n_P_k = 992, but n_R'_k = 1028. Add in three-rune words and you have additional n_C_k = 4960 and n_P_k = 29760 and 29760 < n_R'_k < 32768. So you would need over 32700 lines in Runes.txt to cover just two-rune and three-rune words. (I'll leave it to the determined party to calculate the exact amount or for the four-rune, five-rune and six-rune cases.) Mind you, I haven't addressed the situation where a runeword does one thing in one group of equipment and something else in another, so there is a variable multiplier to consider. A program could do this easily enough (it is a little big for Excel), but keeping track of it would be most unholy.

Unfortunately, the observed limit for Runes.txt in v1.10 appears to be 4096 lines. (We would love to be proven wrong here. In v1.09, Kato was able to make almost 7500 words.) You could exceed that using just two-rune words if you have enough differences based on equipment!

Reference 1 Reference 2
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:40 am

You know I did alot of planning and knew what i was getting into, and cracked all the numbers out, but do you have to keep pointing it out, i'm getting scared now ;)

My first ideas were way overachieving I thought to have every combination for up to 6 sockets, laugh then using myrghinoc's formula above found out how impossible that owuld be as its in the millions.

I almost thought my mod would die as it would be too much work.
But then I realized that if I only use 2 socket permeatations that would cut it back too a doable level. I won't mention I originally had 50 runes, but the moment the mod becamwe serious I had to scale it back to 32.

I also cheat, and decided for my sanity, to make rune order not matter, dropping the numbers almost in half.

Even completing all runewords up to #11 means i'm 11% done, but I am relentless but do excuse me if any two runewords seem alittle alike ;)

Done to rune#13, as we speak, Xeno, let me know where you are at with what you have been doing.

Now if I only stop compying over files I need and back up regularly, I will one day make it.
-Mishy23
{Modding status: Project X}

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:55 am

And thank the gods that you decided to only go with a 2 rune, any order game plan. It really makes things much more fun for the player. In vanilla D2 I would hate having to look up the order of a certain runeword, then accidentally get it wrong because I misplaced one of them.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:27 am

EDITED, new pictures below
-Mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:29 am

mishy23" wrote:I also cheat, and decided for my sanity, to make rune order not matter, dropping the numbers almost in half.
I take it you mean visible runewords, since you still need a 1-2 record and a 2-1 record for any nonrepeated pair of runes.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:57 pm

True myhrginoc, I have to have 2 entries for most runewords, but hey if anything us modders are expert copy-pasters.

Can you tell I needed a break from runewords, now messing around with missile graphics, so I can add thigns like Bone Spear Nova, and Firewall Fury, just gonna have some fun and the ones that come out good, keep for special runewords in the future.

Man you can do so much stuff with only text editting.
Besides a small DLL edit for runewords enabled in magic/rares, this mod is 100% text edit only.
now back to work, gotta get this new version done by thursday, so you people can play it.
-mishy23

EDIT: wow i never knew how much control you had over missiles, understanding missiles.txt is opening alot of doors for me, definately going to be having fun developing new skills.

EDIT2:
Check out new screen shots
Flame Orb - album_page.php?pic_id=372
Flame Orb2 - album_page.php?pic_id=373
Lightning Orb - album_page.php?pic_id=374
Poison Orb - album_page.php?pic_id=375
Mystic Orb - album_page.php?pic_id=376

-mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:12 am

Mishy (I believe your actual name is Otto ;) ), I like these new skill graphics, but are they postponing the release of the final version? If so, could you possibly release the final version then a patch. If not, keep up the good work. lol

Edit: I found a couple of flamberges with +2 to An Evil Force, you must have a mislinked skill somewhere.
Last edited by godheadslament on Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:45 pm

Nope the skills are for runewords, I am a little behind sched, because I lost about a week's worth of work as my system crashed and the backup I had was 5 days prior, I keep finding things I thought i finished that are incomplete, so i'm being thorough before I release anything, I'm hopiong by monday to have something. Also I really am waiting to hear from Xeno with some new runewords, but haven't been able to hear from him lately.

I'll look into the flamberges, hmm barb are last skills before mon skills, i might be using to high of a range for the skill_ids and its pulling some mon skills, hope its that simple.

And of course I don't wanna release final patch, until i'm sure everything is final (except runewords, they will have to be patched in every month).

Catch you later,
-Otto

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:45 pm

I was going to get to the task of creating runewords, but I haven't had much inspiration lately... I think now would be a good time for me to do them.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:08 pm

Woohoo Xeno just sent me 100 more runewords!
And I just entered 176 more.
I'll give you a grand total once the string files are done (that takes longer than making the runewords :P)

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:22 pm

Check your e-mail Otto. ;)

PhrozenZallambo

Post by PhrozenZallambo » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:21 pm

I'll give you a grand total once the string files are done (that takes longer than making the runewords )
If you aren't using it already, I'd switch to the PEER tbl editor. It shows both the "name" and "description" of strings (or whatever they're called) at once. And it has an automatic new line at the bottom. And you can use the arrow keys to move around. And you can use ctrl-c and ctrl-v to copy and paste with it. It's one hell of a lot faster to make strings with then any of the other string editors :D.
"God didn't create man, man created God."

E^pi*i+1=0

I've proved the Riemann hypothesis! I'll release it as soon as I fulfill my life quest: I just need to see one of those flying penguins!

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:55 pm

Awesome, thanks for the new runewords Godsheadlament!
I got my work cut out for me today!

Found the bug with the barb skills on swords, that is fixed, glad you said something I never noticed it was using wrong skill id's.

Well, time to get to work, i'll post when all the new runewords are added!

PhrozenZ, downloading PEER table editor now, hopefully it works nicely, i'm checking it out now
-Mishy

EDIT: PEER table editor is nice for what I need, I like that you can arrow key through everything, defiantely helps the copying and pasting and copying and pasting and...
Thanks PhrozenZ
Last edited by mishy23 on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:09 pm

wOOt! *getting anxious*

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:51 pm

Okay gonna upload a new patch coming up here, so watch out for when it gets added to the keep download section:
Not much of a readme involved, but this version is the way the beta should have been.

Monsters balanced properly for where they appear and
a total of 576 runewords now (still need to add alot of received via email, but that'll be next patch I guess)
All runes up to #12 are usable in all ways.
I still don't have the jewelwords done either.

Next up:
Balance skills, add jewelwords, more runewords, fix any bugs that are found by you guys.

Oh I guess i'll add some screen prints for teasers.

album_page.php?pic_id=394

EDIT: upload complete, Download the new patch now!
dload.php?action=file&file_id=1163

Enjoy, and please report bugs in this version only.
Please report any monster imbalances, or drops that are unusual.

One warning, before updating to new version, please sell all items your characters have or there is a chance you will receive a *bad bodies error because of new properties that were added, if you get rid of all equipment you will not run into this problem, and your characters will be playable.

I do suggest starting a new character to see the whole game from what i think is how the mod should have been from the beginning.

All runewords have been tweaked to be better, and more balanced.
Also all runes up to #12 are usuable for runewords.

This patch has all the files neccassary to play with, so you wiul have most of these files if updating from an old version. Just copy all these files over top of what you have and the mod will be playable.
Do not worry about running the patcher if you previously have in a prior release.

THANKS phrozenheart, for such a quick response to some screw ups on my part! Maybe someone will find the most awesomest runeword, Phrozen's Heart Stopper.

Happy downloads...
-Mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:32 am

It's nice starting up a character and having an item that previously had no runeword (unactivated rune) suddenly have one lol. Anyway...

Act wp for the Palace Cellar says "Palace Celler Level 1 - Not xlated call Ken". I forget offhand what causes this.

Those damn lightning mages in the A2 sewers can take me from 250 life to 0 life in 2-3 hits. I'm not sure if this was intended, but it has certainly caused me to play my barb differently!

EDIT: Almost every mystery rune I get ends up being nothing but a Feh rune. Also, I can't seem to transmute chipped (and it's counterparts) to an upgraded version.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Who's up for a TCP/IP game either tonight or tomorrow? We'd all start new characters and whatnot. I think it would be great. If we get enough people I may try a variant character, but if only a few I'll stick to what pwns ;).
Last edited by godheadslament on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:59 am

Hmm, I'll look into the lightning skeletons, I adjusted them, but they are taking damage from missile.txt and I didn't adjust that properly.

Mystery runes have no problem with me, I get high runes, I just think you have bad luck with them.

And i'm not happy to hear that string bug with Palace Cellar level 2, hopefully its an easy findable typo, and not my string file gone bad..*dread* *dread*

Hmm when transmuting crafting runes, I possibly changed the formula, sorry about leaving it out of readme, let me look.
3 crafting runes should equal next type of crafting rune, I think originally it was five, so try with three if you didn't, otherwise i'll look into it havent did any testing with cube recipes and had no feedback on this yet.

Thanks for the feedback, this is great stuff to hunt down bugs.
-Mishy
Last edited by mishy23 on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:02 am

So Otto, if I set up a TCP/IP you in? ;)

EDIT: We pick some strange times to be on these forums...
Last edited by godheadslament on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:22 am

I got a crappy 56k modem, but i'll try sure,
Can't until tommorrow (its 4am here now)
Anytime between 5pm-11pm I should be free (CST)

Lowered lightning and cold skeleton damage slightly, cant find that string bug for Palace Cellar 2, Im going to see if its showing up for me in game,
fixed another bug that sandraiders showing up in act1 drop nothing (messed up there treasure class entries.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:27 am

Awesome, I'll start it up ASAP. I have a few things to do around the house, but afterward its all game from there. I'm guessing I'll have it up around anywhere between 3 and 5 PM.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:31 am

Sounds great! I hope it all works for multiplayer, I set up everything using the ladder entries as single player uses that.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:46 pm

Hopefully everything will go fine. If you happen to use a different set of .bin's than me, now would be the time to tell me lol.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:14 pm

Playing multiplayer as a blast, plus helped me find (and CORRECT!)
alot of balance issues.
We should get some more interested ppl together to play via TCP/IP soon.
Its fun finding and sharing rune/item drops.

For ppl interested in what i'm working on:
1) More runewords, the task never ends
2) Now that the mod base is stable and playable,
I will go back and introduce alot of the skill changes I had in mind.
I know, I know, new chars will be needed when that comes out, but you can still keep your items if you use PLUGY which works great even for TCP/IP playing.

Thanks for all your play testing with me GodsHead!
-Mishy23

As I will be replacing on average 3-4 skills per character, all suggestions on which skills in vanila diablo are pointless or need changing are welcome.
Here are skills I already plan to change:
Sorceror
-Inferno
-Frozen Armor
-Telekinesis
Druid
-Artic Blast
-Tornado
-Spirit of Barbs
-Soul Creeper (necro will get this)
Necro
-Posion Explosion
-Poison Dagger
-Bone Prison
-Resist Mastery (will be combined with Golem Mastery)
Amazon
-Cold Arrow
-Fire Arrow
-Power Strike
-Poison Jav

Biggest change will be undoing Blizzards work and REMOVING synergies,
soon the biggest decision will be what to do with all them extra skill points not wasted in synergies...maybe diversify?? :)
Don't worry spell damage will be boosted at higher level to make up for the fact that synergies are gone.
For example a maxed Chain Lighnting will be almost as good as a maxed chain lightning with maxed synergies used to be.
Last edited by mishy23 on Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icefrosty99

Post by icefrosty99 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:31 am

Finally got to register on here. I love the mod play it all the time with my brother. We share items, runes, etc... Like what you have done, keep up the good work :D
I emailed you about the TCP/IP game. My brother and I can play anytime after 5 pm EST.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:37 am

Excellent, that's about the time Mishy and I play anyhow.

Return to “Odin's Runeword Mod”