Poison Build Up Skill

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

MRCelSynap
Canada

Poison Build Up Skill

Post by MRCelSynap » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 am

Hello I am trying to make a poison damage based skill that builds up with each attack, like frenzy or maul, I was able to apply the bonus damage using frenzy, but didn't quite work how I wanted, I'd ideally like to restrict it to 5 charges max, which is pretty easy using the maul system, in addition Maul lets me apply 5 different charged states and frenzy seems to only trigger after the second attack.

When I try and use maul the poison damage doesn't apply at all, I've tweaked around with this quite a bit and searched the forums to find next to nothing on this topic, any advice or direction would be appreciated.
Last edited by MRCelSynap on Wed May 03, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check me out on Twitch as I will be periodically streaming my modding progress

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Poison Build Up Skill

Post by gogodanny » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

Hi there,

I don't really know how it works, tends poison is quite tricky as usually it just extends the duration of the poison and basically reducing the damage per second.

What I would recommend is using a formula where you innately use quite a low poison duration value (like 1 second) and then just add more psn-dmg via charge up.

The best already existing variant might be the charge-up used in assassins. However I am not too sure if this even works with poison (not-hardcoded that is) as Blizzard may have not implemented that for a reason.

Let's hope Necrolis and the other Coding Gods come up with a solution for you :-D
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

Lurix
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Bulgaria

Post by Lurix » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:51 pm

Take a look at this https://d2mods.info/filecenter/dload.ph ... ile_id=190

WHAT IS IT ?
------------

POISON CALCULATOR is a freeware to help you to calculate
the tricky param/values for poison damage.

A freeware by Joel FALCOU (jhell2000@hotmail.com)

MRCelSynap
Canada

Post by MRCelSynap » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:47 am

Lurix" wrote:Take a look at this https://d2mods.info/filecenter/dload.ph ... ile_id=190

WHAT IS IT ?
------------

POISON CALCULATOR is a freeware to help you to calculate
the tricky param/values for poison damage.

A freeware by Joel FALCOU (jhell2000@hotmail.com)
Not quite sure of the significance of this, I know the poison calcs, it's getting a skill to apply them as it charges up

Jase
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Jase » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:41 am

In itemstatcost.txt, make a clone of passive_fire_mastery. Call it whatever you like, in this case I will call it PoisonStacks

In Skills.txt, put PoisonStacks in one of the AuraStat columns. For the equation, you will want this or something similar:
"min(5, 1 + (stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)))"

That equation will make it so every time you attack, 1 stack is added and the stack amount will never exceed 5.

Right now, you have a stacking stat going on, but we need to make it apply damage. In your synergy calculation box, add this to the end of it

+ (stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)*ln56)

The end result should look something like this:

(Your synergy calcs) + (stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)*ln56)

Now ln56 will control the percentage bonus to poison damage gained per stack - and you can change that to be whatever value or calc you want.
Terran Marine wrote:I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum! And I'm all out of ... agh, forget it!

MRCelSynap
Canada

Post by MRCelSynap » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Jase, Thanks for the suggestion, I feel I would've tried something like this already, its been a while since I've played with this due to many other problems elsewhere. I will give this a try and let you know!

EisBacken
Germany

Post by EisBacken » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:30 pm

First, make sure that the solution from the above post works. If it does work, then you might want to change the Synergie-Formula a little bit.
The Formula written by Jase makes Synergy-Bonus and Stacks-Bonus add up additive, not multiplicative.

Lets take following Example:

0 Stacks: 1 Damage
1 Stack: 2 Damage
2 Stacks: 3 Damage

This is achieved by using a Dmg-Bonus of 100% per Stack.

0 Stacks: 100% of 1 Damage = 1 Damage
1 Stack: 200% of 1 Damage = 2 Damage
2 Stacks: 300% of 1 Damage = 3 Damage

If you level up Synergy-Skills, at some point you might end up at 100% Bonus-Dmg from Synergy-Skills. Then, it will look like this:

0 Stacks: 200% of 1 Damage = 2 Damage
1 Stack: 300% of 1 Damage = 3 Damage
2 Stacks: 400% of 1 Damage = 4 Damage

The damage at 1 stack is no longer twice as much as the damage at 0 Stacks. Which might be your intention, but most likely not.

Solution:

The Bonus-Damage form Synergies needs to be increased by Stacks too.

(Your synergy calcs) + (stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)*ln56)
This would need to be changed to:

(Your synergy calcs) + (stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)*ln56) + ((Your synergy calcs)*(stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)*ln56)/100

Shorter (there is a 255 char limit):
((100 + (Your synergy calcs)) * (100 + (stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)*ln56)))/100 - 100

Jase
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Jase » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Shorter (there is a 255 char limit):
((100 + (Your synergy calcs)) * (100 + (stat('PoisonStacks'.accr)*ln56)))/100 - 100
A handy trick I use in situations where I'm getting close to or need to exceed the 255 character limit is that I put part of the calculation in one of the unused clc1-4 columns and then reference it where it needs to be. You can also do the same with aurastat and passivestat columns.

Short example
clc 1 = ((stat('Mana'.accr)*ln56) / 100))
EDamSynPerCalc = clc1 + par8

You can even place calcs in dummy skill lines and reference them
(skill('DummySkill'.clc1))
Terran Marine wrote:I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum! And I'm all out of ... agh, forget it!

Return to “Skill Clinic”