How to Get Back To HellFire Working on windows 7 with sound

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
SomeThingEviL

How to Get Back To HellFire Working on windows 7 with sound

Post by SomeThingEviL » Tue May 19, 2015 10:44 am

So I installed Back to HellFire and I knew that with windows 7 it doesn't work with sound and you need a workaround to get it to play, but it loaded right up and played with sound. 8-O

So after a little poking around I found out that its because I have a Creative sound card that can use Creative ALchemy a program that makes older games sound work better on newer systems.This is what fixed it. :cool:

Here is what they say about ALchemy on the creative web page.

Why is Creative ALchemy necessary?

As part of a major re-architecture of the audio subsystem from Windows Vista™ and above, Microsoft has made the radical decision to remove the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for DirectSound and DirectSound3D. The HAL is the layer found on earlier Windows Operating Systems that enabled an audio accelerator such as the Sound Blaster to provide DirectSound3D applications with hardware-accelerated audio.

Creative ALchemy allows Sound Blaster owners to run their favorite DirectSound3D games and experience them as game developers have intended from Windows Vista™ and above - with full hardware accelerated 3D Audio and EAX support. This is achievable by translating DirectSound3D into OpenAL calls.

So if you love this mod and want to play it on Windows 7 (without needing to use odd and troublesome workarounds) you need to buy a cheap creative sound card from ebay or something.

:!: You might want to add this to the sticky about BTH and Windows 7.

THANKS FOR MAKING THIS KICK ASS MOD ONYX!!!!!! :)

Here is a list from the Creative web page of cards that can use ALchemy.

Creative ALchemy supports the following Sound Blaster models.

Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty® Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook
Sound Blaster X-Fi HD / Sound Blaster Digital Music Premium HD
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 / 5.1 Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium series
Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe series
Sound Blaster Z series
Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1
Sound Blaster E Series
Sound Blaster X7

Does Creative ALchemy support Sound Blaster Audigy cards?
Yes. There is a Creative ALchemy (Audigy Edition) that supports the following Sound Blaster Audigy audio devices:
Supported Sound Blaster Audigy audio devices:

Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS notebook
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Video Editor
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 SE
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Ex
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Sound Blaster Audigy
Sound Blaster Audigy LS
Sound Blaster Audigy Fx

Cai_Miao-BTH
China

Re: How to Get Back To HellFire Working on windows 7 with so

Post by Cai_Miao-BTH » Thu May 21, 2015 11:45 am

There's a dll modification of BTH that made it run with sound above win7 though Onyx doesn't admit any unofficial modifications. I fotgot the credits but I do have the version.

At last I found some credits.
Made by Volf
Originally announced at http://d2isalive.blogspot.com/ by Prodigy (forum ID=prodigypm)
Contained with package released at http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/thre ... ed.864004/ by Prodigy
Turned into D2SE plugin and released at 百度暗黑mod吧(DiabloMods@Baidu Tieba) by 家给小丫(Spelling=Jia Gei Xiao Ya)

Note that such modification is not admitted by Onyx. And I'm not responsable for such transferring.

MEGA: D2SE-plugin-Back-to-Hellfire.7z
What is done by me for the transferring: Removed localized part. Replaced odd banner. Packed with out MPQs.
Last edited by Cai_Miao-BTH on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Translator for Simplified Chinese.
Discord: cai_miao#0861
Translated BTH by onyx, HU by Soulmancer (until 2.x),
LRdO (approved) by Xaphan and Median XL: Sigma by the MXL community.
D2MFC & D2FTM, Modern Font Customize solution for Diablo II

Future project:
- Set of Font with FULL Latin, CHI, JAP and RUS character support. To much time needed.
- BFE by TrueMage - to Simplified Chinese from English
- ES (original) by PerfectCell to Simplified Chinese from English/Japanese
-Touhou Diablo by Bishibosh-A - to English/Japanese from Chinese

SomeThingEviL

Post by SomeThingEviL » Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 am

Ya I got the BTHpatch.mpq from volf a few days ago. I thought it was just a fix for the TCP\IP but then after getting it I noticed it was a full windows 7 fix.

I was going to ask onyx in a PM if it would be ok to make it available for download so everyone can play on windows 7.I think i'll send him a PM about it now.

I tried the file you made available, but when I load it up with D2SE my game crash's.

Edit: I fixed it , I was using the non windows 7 BTHpatch.mpq.

On a side note, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE D2SE Files.

I can play Back To HellFire with the GLIDE Wrapper now, you can get it here http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/. just drop the files from the zip into the Back to Hellfire mod folder.

This was the last piece to getting Back To HellFire running 100% perfect.

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Fri May 22, 2015 7:25 am

If I copy the official mpqs into the linked plugin I'm getting a c000005 crash after creating a char.
I don't know if this is the typical ASLR windows 7 problem, or if something else is broken.

@SomeThingEviL: could you upload a complete d2se plugin with mpqs thats 100% working?

MD5 Hashes of my files:
BTH.mpq 91C8776FB0EA098CF75A5F45D217673C
BTHPatch.mpq DD3D6C61B226FE5B6145FCDDFB720640)

Cai_Miao-BTH
China

Post by Cai_Miao-BTH » Sun May 24, 2015 5:50 pm

themastercaster" wrote:If I copy the official mpqs into the linked plugin I'm getting a c000005 crash after creating a char.
I don't know if this is the typical ASLR windows 7 problem, or if something else is broken.

@SomeThingEviL: could you upload a complete d2se plugin with mpqs thats 100% working?

MD5 Hashes of my files:
BTH.mpq 91C8776FB0EA098CF75A5F45D217673C
BTHPatch.mpq DD3D6C61B226FE5B6145FCDDFB720640)
You can try those within that big pack huh.
Translator for Simplified Chinese.
Discord: cai_miao#0861
Translated BTH by onyx, HU by Soulmancer (until 2.x),
LRdO (approved) by Xaphan and Median XL: Sigma by the MXL community.
D2MFC & D2FTM, Modern Font Customize solution for Diablo II

Future project:
- Set of Font with FULL Latin, CHI, JAP and RUS character support. To much time needed.
- BFE by TrueMage - to Simplified Chinese from English
- ES (original) by PerfectCell to Simplified Chinese from English/Japanese
-Touhou Diablo by Bishibosh-A - to English/Japanese from Chinese

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Re: How to Get Back To HellFire Working on windows 7 with sound

Post by ChaosMarc » Wed May 27, 2015 1:11 pm

with the files from the big pack I could build a d2se plugin which works for me:
https://www.chaosmarc.de/diablo/D2SE_Ba ... ix_sfx.exe

@all: Please try this version on different computers (win7 and up are important) and give feedback if it works ALL the time or if you sometimes have to restart your machine to get it working
Last edited by ChaosMarc on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:54 pm

This works. Thank you. Too bad I don't play BTH anymore, but that could change now that I have it running without a really painful install with Sandboxie (or whatever it is).

I just looked up mods and installed some things and tried them out for the first time recently:

Diablo 1 HD
Median XL Ultimatum in 1024x700 (the old D2 HD mod for LOD 1.12) custom resolution while running 1024x768 with the monitor itself. I don't really like hundreds of recipes I have to read a document over and over to remember how to play (essential really) but I may get into it. It is fun so far.
Now BTH to finish up.

From my research and knowledge so far, Median is the only good mod that supports 1.12 to run in an improved resolution with the old HD mod. It works well on my large 27 inch monitor. The new version of Median is using a 1024x768 modification of LOD that works with 1.10 but requires customization of each mod to align custom menu's and skill trees, etc. I was looking for known ways to run mods with higher resolution and not much could be done without alot of work. I can't stand 800x600 for long, but scaled down a bit in direct draw windows mode, however, and the game looks pretty nice if you ask me.

Near paragon 450 witch doctor in D3 right now...(solo all the way!)

As you can tell I love action roleplaying. I've even gotten through the whole story of Path of Exile for the first time a month or two ago. Not a bad game compared to D2, terrible combat compared to D3.

moscitor
Germany

Post by moscitor » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:42 am

it works :)

the last link from themastercaster works fine to me, running W10.

thank you :) :)
There is as much risk in doing nothing as in doing something

CelestialVariable

Post by CelestialVariable » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:48 am

themastercaster" wrote:with the files from the big pack I could build a d2se plugin which works for me:
http://versionchanger.d2se.org/private/ ... 02_sfx.exe

@all: Please try this version on different computers (win7 and up are important) and give feedback if it works ALL the time or if you sometimes have to restart your machine to get it working
Weird. The file won't even open and let me install despite all my clicks.

I have a question though : if I download Back to Hellfire (or any mod for what it's worth) as normal .zip file, how to make it work on D2SE ?

Shall I create a .BMP banner and a D2SE.SETUP config file into it's folder ?

This is just a wild guess and I have no real how-to on this matter, if anyone could shed light on the subject I would be very grateful.

TLDR : How to install a non .SFX.EXE mod on D2SE.

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:17 pm

The plugin above works,for me...you can try right clicking on it and choosing the MODS destination in D2SE folder or wherever it was,it is almost a year as i have not installed any mods for D2 as i already installed about a hundred of them in my MODS folder...

for your other question,BMP is optional as long as you do the ini file right,you need the MPQ file or the folder with txt files and the INI file,nothing else to make a D2SE plugin...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

Bastets Eyes

Post by Bastets Eyes » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:57 am

@The master caster..

I have been trying hard to get BTH working. even as far as buying the diablo 2 and expansion cds again. unfortunately the cds were set at v1.13 and did not work for previous versions. so you have seriously made my day with this d2se patch.
so far it is working perfectly on windows 8.1
I just extracted it straight to the mods folder and was good to go.
thanks and peace

Edit. beating diablo does not allow me to move to the next difficulty. I have finished every other ques except one in the last act. I don't even know what it is because it never activated. I have beaten diablo and tyrael does not say anything when clicked. and after leaving game and starting back several times it still won't allow the next difficulty. I have beaten diablo 4 times now. :(

hellnecrotom

Post by hellnecrotom » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:56 pm

could anyone make this work with plugy? It does seem to load with it but I get a crash every time I hover over a button added by plugy or when I open my stash

Anarkion

Post by Anarkion » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi guys! I finally made my BTH to work via d2se, but there is a problem: every time I got a level, I got a skill too. I remember that skills are only obtained via books. Is this correct? How to fix the issue?

Thanks!

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:57 am

There is no need to get BTH working on D2SE. A desktop icon is sufficient...

Plugy won't run with BTH to answer the previous question. If you can get it to work, your a genius.

Right now, as of a few months ago, I finally got a glide wrapper running (same one as in D2SE) but a standalone so it can work with any mod that doesn't support D2SE. So that means I'm playing D2 in 1080p (and I'm actually rendering it at 4x 1080p and downscaling along with filters to help with the grain). It is as huge improvement graphically.

The mods I've played lately are Requiem of Sorrow and Hordes of Chaos (levels by Onyx)! Be careful with some skills in HoC that don't have synergy like wolves for the Elf (it claims there is, but there isn't and the spirit wolves are stuck at 72 hitpoints each). The skill trees in HoC were never fully fleshed out but are otherwise awesome and unique, it can't handle other programs running and will still occasionally crash in underground areas.

I used to just play BTH and Eastern Sun because they were easier for me. But these days I've been more skilled in my play and able to assign skill points better without needing every mod to allow me to reassign. In RoS (Requiem of Sorrow) it can be quite a chore getting to level 30 with some builds but is worth it.

I'll be certain to play D3 either next season with the new changes being currently tested on the PTR, or when I get 2 stash tabs with the Necromancer, that's likely the season after.

Return to “Back to Hellfire”