Back to Hellfire v1.00/v1.02 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Back to Hellfire v1.00/v1.01 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Post by onyx » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks for the report :) Most of these look like Blizzard screwups, especially those Lightning Wall problems. I'll look into the skill, but I can't promise anything - you know skill editing is not my thing, my talents are elsewhere ;)
D2 MOD player";p="399711" wrote: Lightening wall displays 3x the damage for the right hand with the character stats that it shows in the skill listing. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with the spell, it's not overpowered and works fine, I'm just not sure what amount of damage I'm doing.
The damage displayed on the character stats screen is the correct one. This is an old bug and I have yet to find a way to make it show the correct damage output in the skill description.
D2 MOD player";p="399711" wrote: Like the bard, you can find normal items with +skills and fit runewords into them. It's been tested with my sorcerer and it works great. So drops are much better in many cases then when shopping for a wand. Now when it comes to rare wands, they seem somewhat lacking and can't compete with a good normal item that allows runewords. Rare items often include the same affixes on normal melee weapons. Do any of these actually work with spell casting? Like mana steal for instance. What do I care if I have increased attack speed, increased attack rating, and others. I don't know if you have a way of fixing this issue without making all the other weapons do the same thing. I have yet to see increased casting speed, but maybe that will change at higher levels. Rares do exhibit resistance properties which is nice.
This is on my todo list. In the next version, orbs will spawn with better affixes than what they have now.
D2 MOD player";p="399711" wrote: Ice bolt retaliation on Chilling Armor always misses (100% of the time).
It's the same Chilling Armor from vanilla D2, so I'm not sure what might be wrong with it. I need to test it further.
D2 MOD player";p="399711" wrote: I can't remember if I reported the bard drop issue to you before or after the last patch. I'm just asking because I'd stated in the bard thread that this isn't wasn't resolved yet. I don't want to give wrong information.
Yes, you did, and it's also on my todo list ;)
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:33 am

I completed normal mode last night. Today I completed your answer to the cow level for the first time. Wow that was tough! I know where you got the animations for the Weak boss. Oh, it couldn't be from D2 could it? Hey that's creative using a monster from D2. ;)

Now for the bad stuff. There are several issues with chain lightening. No, I'm not going to tell you to make it like it is in D2. For the most part I like this more. It autotargets and gets the job done everytime except:
When it decides to throw all it's lightening bolts at monsters in a room next door that isn't even visible. It obviously never hits them and then you have 10 other monsters right there standing by you taking free swings at your character. The way around this is to get between them and that wall, and the autotarget works again. But it's definately a major bug, a character killer. Guess these lightening skills are tough to get a handle on.
The second issue is minor. It doesn't always use animation to show it's hitting some of the monsters but they are obviously taking damage. Big deal, I don't care since it looks pretty and they are still dying.

This character definately has a great feel to it, it constantly changes throughout normal. As you progress though act IV things get tougher and tougher to the point where you're trying to keep your defense high to avoid taking hits from fast moving and very strong monsters. Then at some point around level 40 when you get that skill or wand, there's a turning point. You're not invulnerable but learning to use chain lightening in combination with blizzard (I now have one hard point in both skills!) and become an awesome power. But power that still needs to be tempered and all kinds of tactical possibilities. Sometimes you just take hits from boss monsters, standing toe to toe with them so you can create maximum damage with +11 lightening wall (8 books and +3 wand). Or use the lightening wall with Blizzard to slow them down once in awhile as well. The level 20 skills are still useful, only the skills at levels 1 and 10 that are attack spells loose their usefullness. But once I was attacking with chain lightening on a single target (didn't have a hard point in blizzard and wasn't using the wand required so I could have more magic find) and found out switching to the low level lighteing had a better effect! I had 10 books or so in it.

That's one thing about this character. You aren't guaranteed power like any pure melee character is by just shopping in town. You HAVE to find books constantly or be outmoded. But this is where this character shines. You can find books faster and more efficiently then any other character. And it's because you aren't item dependant. You can replace every piece with something that helps you find books. Sure, it takes alot of time and effort, but takes off the edge of that particular disadvantage a sorcerer has to melee classes. That and you can more consistently find great items, often the best you can find at your given character level if the right strategem is employed. I'm sure this applies to at least one other character class in this mod, characters I haven't played like the Monk and Blood Wizard.

thirstyjack

Post by thirstyjack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:50 am

Hi, I just completed the game a few days ago with a blood wizard at lv75. I like the game very much! It really gives me the feel of hellfire, with the addition of some good D2 features of course. I know the blood wizard is a powerful character, so maybe that's why I can complete the game even if I rushed through. I'm not saying it's easy, cuz I died numerous times. I tend to blink through levels to access the next waypoint, often ending up in a mob and stun locked to death. Anyway, I decided to try out a barbarian. Got to Act2, and realized I'm not really used to a melee character. I use to play warrior in HF, but one day I decided to try out a sorceror, and started to love playing a caster since then. So I thought maybe I should play a hardcore blood wizard this time (maybe someday I would try the sorceror). I managed to survive to get to the cathedral waypoint, now farming some books in the HoB. I almost died once when I trapped myself with the butcher in a grim hoop (kinda stupid I know). I ran away through a town portal.

I have some suggestions though (mostly personal opinions). They may not be accurate enough since I only really played with a blood wizard. Also, some of them may be brought up before by someone else, in that case I apologize.
Now, in my opinion, the whole game is pretty balanced, except the Diablo level, and especially Diablo himself. It is too weak comparing with the Mephisto level and Baal level. Moreover, I think anyone that could survive the Antechamber would definetly survive Diablo. I died once at Mephisto, but he got stuck in a corner the second time I meet him, and he would just do nothing allowing me to blood wave him to death, and even so I had to refill my belt four times due to the cost of blood wave. (I think the Mephisto bug is known already. I don't have a screenshot anyway.) Baal is challenging, I carefully dodged most of his spells and killed him without dying. Then I died TWICE at the Antechamber, and when I get to Diablo, I thought to myself,"Why is this guy so weak?" I would suggest boosting his HP, and also give him more powerful spells, (or if his spells are the way like that for "some reasons", at least give the spells more power, or speed up the "fire on the ground" spell whatever it is).

I currently have a warrior lv21, a barbarian lv21, a HC blood wizard lv18, and also created a sorceror just for fun. Comparing them with each other, I think the blood wizard is too powerful at the beginning. The reason might be the fact that Punisher casts are too rapid, and the cost is really low. Well yes, that's what makes Punisher so special, but other classes don't have such powerful skill at the beginning, making the BW seem unbalanced. Also, I think skills like Haste, Grim Hoop, Avoid have subtle difference between levels, making leveling those skills up seem a little meaningless. I would suggest toning down the effects of those skills at a low level, and greaten the difference between levels. Starfall seems a little useless when having a high level Blood Wave, I would rather cast two Blood Waves in opposite directions than to use Starfall once. I'm not really sure how to solve this problem, but I decided to mention it anyway.

Well that's all for now. I'll come back here if I think of something else.

Oh, by the way, does "steal X% life/mana" effect work on spells? or does it only work on weapons? (More specifically, will a spell, such as blood wave, leech life if I have a item with that effect on me?)
Last edited by thirstyjack on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:27 am

Hello and congratulations on completing the game :mrgreen:
thirstyjack";p="400850" wrote: Now, in my opinion, the whole game is pretty balanced, except the Diablo level, and especially Diablo himself.
Been discussed many times already, and being worked on ;)
thirstyjack";p="400850" wrote: I currently have a warrior lv21, a barbarian lv21, a HC blood wizard lv18, and also created a sorceror just for fun. Comparing them with each other, I think the blood wizard is too powerful at the beginning. The reason might be the fact that Punisher casts are too rapid, and the cost is really low. Well yes, that's what makes Punisher so special, but other classes don't have such powerful skill at the beginning, making the BW seem unbalanced.
The line here is too thin. On the other hand, the Blood Wizard uses his HP to cast and he needs to be able to survive in the beginning. It would have thrown people away if you needed to go to town after each monster you kill, no?
thirstyjack";p="400850" wrote: Also, I think skills like Haste, Grim Hoop, Avoid have subtle difference between levels, making leveling those skills up seem a little meaningless. I would suggest toning down the effects of those skills at a low level, and greaten the difference between levels.
If you don't like the effects, recycle the books, simple as that :) But seriously, I'll look into that. In the Grim Hoop case, I don't have anything to make leveling it more appealing though :( I'm glad that the skill works in the first place, it's a mess.
thirstyjack";p="400850" wrote: Starfall seems a little useless when having a high level Blood Wave, I would rather cast two Blood Waves in opposite directions than to use Starfall once. I'm not really sure how to solve this problem, but I decided to mention it anyway.
Starfall deals more damage and in all directions in one cast. I think the problem is you're comparing high-level Bloodwave to low-level Starfall. Other people who have high-level Blood Wizards have said that they mainly used a combo of the 2 skills.
thirstyjack";p="400850" wrote: Oh, by the way, does "steal X% life/mana" effect work on spells? or does it only work on weapons? (More specifically, will a spell, such as blood wave, leech life if I have a item with that effect on me?)
No, the effects will only work if you hit things with your weapon. Which, in case of the Blood Wizard, is almost impossible.
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

thirstyjack

Post by thirstyjack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Oh, I see. I'll try the combo some time with my new blood wizard.
By the way, I just got a "Horadric Scroll" from the chest the Defiler is guarding. It shouldn't appear, should it?

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:11 am

I always suspected those affixes were for melee only but had never tested them.

Diablo seems to dish more damage, whereas Baal has higher defense. That's how it's always seemed to me anyway. The issue where potions instaheal makes it difficult to make a Boss seem difficult unless it takes 20 minutes to take him down. It's always easier to take on one big boss with this system vs about any group of monsters measuring in a small group of at least 10. Then there's the issue where I'm too smart to go attack the boss directly, I always whittle down the smaller adversaries before making the boss aware of my presence. One solution to this would be to give the bosses a higher acuity to their surroundings making them attack right when you enter the area. Then your being attacked by the boss and 10+ monsters at the same time unless your very careful!?

XuPOMAHT

Post by XuPOMAHT » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:04 am

I`ve found missed runewords. All of these there is in english-russian dictionary
[spoiler] PoNe NeVa DePoSiTiOn GaRaGe ReNeGe SiVa[/spoiler]
There are more over missed words, but i`he lost my notes and don`t remember

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks for PONE. NEVA and SIVA aren't real words, and the rest have been reported already.
ONYX

XuPOMAHT

Post by XuPOMAHT » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:37 pm

Neva is a river in St. Peterburg so I do not persist. And "Siva" my dictionary has translated as deity in indian mythology.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Which both are names, and not words ;)
ONYX

Enurta

Post by Enurta » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Diablo 2 keeps crashing every time I try to load my Blood Wizard. I was lvl 15 and problem seemed to show up after I got a second on my switch which had +1 to the Blood Wizards tele spell
Oracle - Feedback Appreciated

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:16 am

It's a known bug - read here. The good news is it's going to be fixed in v1.02.
ONYX

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:02 pm

ONYX

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: Back to Hellfire v1.00/v1.02 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Post by D2 MOD player » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:43 am

Gadzooks, everyone download it now!

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:48 am

now the blood wizard bug is gone I can start to try him out properly

Turgon

Post by Turgon » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi Onyx, thank you very much you did this MOD, Its really big job. I just started play it as a Warrior (18 lvl now) and everything is nice, but when I using crafting skill Enchant Armor it has no effect on magic armor. I can craft normal armor only, but its only small technical problem. Interesing is also that crafting boots is possible to sell for circa 2000 g but crafting armor for circa 60 g :D

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:18 am

Turgon";p="402458" wrote: but when I using crafting skill Enchant Armor it has no effect on magic armor. I can craft normal armor only, but its only small technical problem.
What kind of magic armor are you trying to craft? It should work. Also, are you able to craft magic boots?
ONYX

Turgon

Post by Turgon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:38 pm

onyx" wrote:
Turgon";p="402458" wrote: but when I using crafting skill Enchant Armor it has no effect on magic armor. I can craft normal armor only, but its only small technical problem.
What kind of magic armor are you trying to craft? It should work. Also, are you able to craft magic boots?
Hi, it is strange. I have tested BTH today and at beginning crafting armor didnot worked. After that i attempted to go over teleport there and back several times over and always with one attempt to crafting armor. After some few of these attempts crafting armor started to work again I dont now why. So for these moment everything works right, magic boots works too. But I dont now if in that specific "problematic" time has been possible to craft magic boots, sorry.

Parksta0

Post by Parksta0 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:58 am

Have you cleaned your files?
ie: if you have ever had a MOD on befor, have you refreshed all the files with the originals?

Sometimes MODs affect the important files and cause all sorts of odd errors to occur. I had one where certain tiles didn't exist, and some of those tiles where quest related (couldn't get to Duriel)
-----
FOR BLOOD AND GLORY! ~Kyphis, of the Fystali Blood Mage clan

Turgon

Post by Turgon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Parksta0" wrote:Have you cleaned your files?
ie: if you have ever had a MOD on befor, have you refreshed all the files with the originals?

Sometimes MODs affect the important files and cause all sorts of odd errors to occur. I had one where certain tiles didn't exist, and some of those tiles where quest related (couldn't get to Duriel)
So, I never used any MOD before. I just played at BattleNet and therefore was necessary to downgrad from my current version 1.12 to 1.10 Thats all what I did.

Parksta0

Post by Parksta0 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Just keep stress testing it then (keep doing it/start new warriors and try it on them/etc) and record anything interesting. If it keeps happening then Onyx will probably look into it.

Another thing to do is send a copy of the character to Onyx, his email is in the MODs readme.
-----
FOR BLOOD AND GLORY! ~Kyphis, of the Fystali Blood Mage clan

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:07 am

This is strange and you're the first one to report such problem. For now I'm going to assume that the problem is on your end, as no one else ever mentioned something similar, but please let me know if you have more input on the matter ;)
ONYX

Turgon

Post by Turgon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi ONYX

Here is one example of item that cannot be craft :
http://ramacandra.own.cz/BTH%20screens/boots.jpg

btw - nice rare boots :D
http://ramacandra.own.cz/BTH%20screens/rare.jpg

The game is too difficult, especialy in III act, here is screen my mercenary, as you see she has max resist fire but she dies after 3 fireballs, it is sometimes so fast I havenot time to restore her health

http://ramacandra.own.cz/BTH%20screens/mercenary.jpg

but others like environment, sounds, music etc is perfect :D

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:46 pm

Here is one example of item that cannot be craft :
http://ramacandra.own.cz/BTH%20screens/boots.jpg
try with a normal quality of 'boots'. I don't know if Onyx added craft recipes for superior.

Glustrod

Post by Glustrod » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 pm

Turgon";p="403096" wrote:
The game is too difficult, especialy in III act, here is screen my mercenary, as you see she has max resist fire but she dies after 3 fireballs, it is sometimes so fast I havenot time to restore her health
game to hard? this depends on the point of view. as one can see in your screenshot, you are in act III with a lvl 19 mercenary!? i don´t know how you got there, but with lvl 19 you can´t expect to live long in act III. so its perhaps not the game to hard, but rather your char respectively merc to weak.

keeping the merc alive in BTH is in general very hard, so hard that i prefer to slay without merc. its more fun and you don´t have to f*ing resurrect him or she on every boss encounter. but thats probably a matter of taste.

Return to “Back to Hellfire”