[BTH]Act 2 - layout/levels/quests/monsters/npcs...

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

No votes

Total votes: 0

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

[BTH]Act 2 - layout/levels/quests/monsters/npcs...

Post by onyx » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:56 am

This is the topic for suggestions and critics for Act 2.

What's done so far:

Layout:

No desert levels! Except for the Canyon of Magi. I have some ideas for the layout, but I'll post a map when it's done.

Levels:

Lut Gholein is changed, look at the screenshots on the site. I have some ideas for other levels, but I haven't started building them yet.

Quests:

:thumb: Quest 1 - The Festering Nest (kill the Defiler).
:thumb: Quest 2 - Find the three torn notes.
:thumb: Quest 3 - Break the altar - have no ideas yet, waiting for suggestions.
:thumb: Quest 4 - Find your way to Tal-Rasha's tombs.
:thumb: Quest 5 - Kill Belial (I think he was the Lord of Lies).
:thumb: Quest 6 - Kill Duriel. The only way to enter is to have the reconstructed note.

Monsters:

Mostly insect-like monsters. There will be stingers/venom tails, bats, shredded, hork spawns and some others I can't think of right now.

NPCs:

NPCs will change - the storyline is about 1000 years before Diablo II, so I can't have Fara and Atma, right? ;) For now I have in town only one altered NPC - the mystic mage Horazon. He sells magic equipment and shields (just like Drognan :mrgreen: ).

Any ideas, suggestions and critics are welcome!
Last edited by onyx on Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

brotherhobbes
Champion of the Light

Re: Act 2 - layout/levels/quests/monsters/npcs...

Post by brotherhobbes » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:57 am

onyx";p="125805" wrote: :thumb: Quest 2 - Find the three torn notes.
this would be instead of finding the cube, staff, and head piece? that sounds fine, but you mention in quest 6 that you need the reconstructed note to get to duriel. in hellfire, didn't the note just tell you how in which order to read the books weaken na-krul?
onyx";p="125805" wrote: :thumb: Quest 3 - Break the altar - have no ideas yet, waiting for suggestions.
this is a replacement for the unholy altar quest in the viper temple? how about you stick another diablo quest in here instead. you already mentioned the anvil quest for act1, so how about the magic rock quest, or the halls of the blind, or the chamber of bone.
onyx";p="125805" wrote: :thumb: Quest 5 - Kill Belial (I think he was the Lord of Lies).
that is correct, belial is the lord of lies. he's part of the four lesser evils: azmodan, the lord of sin; duriel, the lord of pain; and andariel, the maiden of anguish.
onyx";p="125805" wrote:NPCs:

NPCs will change - the storyline is about 1000 years before Diablo II, so I can't have Fara and Atma, right? ;) For now I have in town only one altered NPC - the mystic mage Horazon. He sells magic equipment and shields (just like Drognan :mrgreen: ).
i'm not sure where you got the idea that diablo 1 or hellfire took place 1000 years before diablo 2. or are you saying your mod's storyline will be 1000 years before diablo 2? anyways, diablo 2 takes place rather soon after diablo 1. i'm not going to say immediately, but probably around 1-5 years after (or sooner).

you certainly could have fara and atma. all the uglies wouldn't have started to run as amok as they are in d2, but they'd definitely be there.

same holds true for act3, khanduras had been going into a state of corruption and disarray before d1 began.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:53 am

brotherhobbes";p="127264" wrote: this would be instead of finding the cube, staff, and head piece? that sounds fine, but you mention in quest 6 that you need the reconstructed note to get to duriel. in hellfire, didn't the note just tell you how in which order to read the books weaken na-krul?
It was like that, but I can't find anything situable to replace this quest. I can't make all the quests be absolutely the same as in D1:Hellfire.
brotherhobbes";p="127264" wrote: this is a replacement for the unholy altar quest in the viper temple? how about you stick another diablo quest in here instead. you already mentioned the anvil quest for act1, so how about the magic rock quest, or the halls of the blind, or the chamber of bone.
The problem is that in D2 the quests are very hard to edit. So I need a "break that thing" quest, and as far as I remember there is no similar quest in D1:Hellfire.
brotherhobbes";p="127264" wrote: i'm not sure where you got the idea that diablo 1 or hellfire took place 1000 years before diablo 2. or are you saying your mod's storyline will be 1000 years before diablo 2? anyways, diablo 2 takes place rather soon after diablo 1. i'm not going to say immediately, but probably around 1-5 years after (or sooner).

you certainly could have fara and atma. all the uglies wouldn't have started to run as amok as they are in d2, but they'd definitely be there.
I'm sure I've read this somewhere. But even it's not like that, my storyline is 1000 years before D2. Because I have ideas about Horazon and Khalim to be NPCs in the acts, and Act 3 town will be Kurast (and not Kurast Docks). So, that's the situation... ;)
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Chiffa

Post by Chiffa » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:25 am

I think torn notes were essential for Na-Krul's quest, 'cause books said gibberish without notes... am I right?

As to the "break that thing" quest - what about smthng like this: some dumb demons found the part of torn note and, not knowing to read, thought it is written by Diablo and they started to worship it...
Or even better - some nomadic underground tribe was told by Belial (he IS the liar) that part of torn note is of great importance, crusial to world's being... and they started to worship, placed on altar...
smthng like this?
Musst conssume, or oblivion will take uss...

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:17 am

Chiffa";p="129519" wrote: As to the "break that thing" quest - what about smthng like this: some dumb demons found the part of torn note and, not knowing to read, thought it is written by Diablo and they started to worship it...
Yes, but what's the point? Why to break their altar?
Chiffa";p="129519" wrote: Or even better - some nomadic underground tribe was told by Belial (he IS the liar) that part of torn note is of great importance, crusial to world's being... and they started to worship, placed on altar...
smthng like this?
Don't think this will work, because I have no "humaniod" monsters and I don't want to have. I hate human-monsters ;)

There must be a REASON to break that thing...
ONYX

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:02 am

Well ... currently we BREAK the altar ... but well look at it otherwise :

change the gfx of the altar to something else .... that have a meaning to be destroyed in this situation (devil statue, beginning of a portal to hell etc ...)
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:10 am

Yes, I'm thinking of something else, but it still needs to be broken. And still needs a reason ;)

I don't know - I have an idea to make it block the entrance to the next level (I don't know if it's walkable - have to test it), but I have two entrances to the next level (Pallace level 1 - two warps up and two down), so this idea fails. It just don't fit in the storyline, but I need to figure it out or I'll have an unsolvable quest. Never thought THIS quest will be such a pain ;)
ONYX

Malachai29
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Malachai29 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:33 pm

Ok, need a break the altar quest....combine that with the find the magic rock quest....the rock is embedded in the altar, being it is a magic rock, was placed there so the forces of evil could attempt to harness its power to further their cause....

Malachai
RIP Charsi's Forge! :)
Surgeon General's Warning: Double posting may be hazardous to your health

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:46 pm

Yes, good one, Malachai ;)

It makes sence... But since I can't make an npc actually reward me for finding the magic rock (like in Diablo 1), I'll make the rock a cube recipe item. I think I'll stick to this suggestion. Thanks ;)
ONYX

Malachai29
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Malachai29 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:22 pm

Anytime, I actually do make sense, when I am awake! :) Glad to be of help!

Malachai
RIP Charsi's Forge! :)
Surgeon General's Warning: Double posting may be hazardous to your health

Chiffa

Post by Chiffa » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:26 am

onyx";p="129556" wrote:There must be a REASON to break that thing...
Why, I thought it's obvious - the reason is to get the part of torn note. For without it, you cannot face Na-Krul.... ;)
Musst conssume, or oblivion will take uss...

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:04 am

The notes will be dropped form superuniques. I actually want to split those two quests - the amulet and the altar.
ONYX

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:43 am

onyx";p="130098" wrote:Yes, good one, Malachai ;)

It makes sence... But since I can't make an npc actually reward me for finding the magic rock (like in Diablo 1), I'll make the rock a cube recipe item. I think I'll stick to this suggestion. Thanks ;)
hold on! it would be better if you use the Act 3 quest Blade of The Old Religion and change the blade for a throwing stone.

so you can give it back to ormus for a reward and it would have better theme for that quest than the act 2 one.

break the altar... didn't played hellfire but you can try the "arakines quest" (or it would be better with the Act 4 hell forge?)

another idea is the Arch-bishop lazarus with the boy cadaver on the altar and you crush it to liberate its souls from the black magic rituals 8-O

well they are only ideas <^^>
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:54 am

Now you got me ;)
Vendanna";p="130545" wrote: hold on! it would be better if you use the Act 3 quest Blade of The Old Religion and change the blade for a throwing stone.

so you can give it back to ormus for a reward and it would have better theme for that quest than the act 2 one.
You're absolutely right. This quest is perfect for the maigc rock.
Vendanna";p="130545" wrote: break the altar... didn't played hellfire but you can try the "arakines quest" (or it would be better with the Act 4 hell forge?)
You mean the quest when you receive Arcaine's Valor? This quest won't be in the game, because I don't like quests that are giving you the same reward every time.
Vendanna";p="130545" wrote: another idea is the Arch-bishop lazarus with the boy cadaver on the altar and you crush it to liberate its souls from the black magic rituals 8-O
Can't work, because Lazarus already has his place fixed in the game - he's Act 3 final boss.

Thanks for your ideas, and... the discussion for the altar quest continues.
ONYX

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:05 am

onyx";p="130548" wrote:You mean the quest when you receive Arcaine's Valor? This quest won't be in the game, because I don't like quests that are giving you the same reward every time.

Thanks for your ideas, and... the discussion for the altar quest continues.
the main problem is that I never played trough Hellfire since I didn't have it.

for the reward you can make it give a rare armor inestead, after all there were a few quest on D1 that gaved you the same item (example, the Magic rock, arkaines valor, both rings one for clear the pool of demons and that one filled with invisible creatures, Griswold edge, the Veil of Steel[/b], etc...)

if you don't like them then you will miss a few nice quests, you not need to make the reward to be always the quest, remembering the quest and give a rare item inestead will fit.

Example when you finish Arkaines valor you get a Rare armor (especial type that have the old Arkaines graphic) but isn't the arkaines itself :)

for altar... I tough there is one quest called "altar of bone?) or is possible to be an altar on the chamber of bone where you fight with King Leoric?

Black Omen's production

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:15 am

Vendanna";p="130550" wrote: if you don't like them then you will miss a few nice quests, you not need to make the reward to be always the quest, remembering the quest and give a rare item inestead will fit.

Example when you finish Arkaines valor you get a Rare armor (especial type that have the old Arkaines graphic) but isn't the arkaines itself :)
I got some old quests - for example the Anvil of Fury, where the reward is an imbue and it fits perfectly. And the idea for the Arcaine quest is fine, the reward can be a rare ancient armor, since it uses the Arcaine's Valor graphics in the mod.
Vendanna";p="130550" wrote: for altar... I tough there is one quest called "altar of bone?) or is possible to be an altar on the chamber of bone where you fight with King Leoric?
Now you messed it ;) The chamber of bone is not the place where you fight King Leoric. In the chamber of bone there was a huge room full of skeletons and you learned the Guardian spell and recieved some magic items from the chests. And, King Leoric is already added in Act 1.

But... the idea of making the altar quest the chamber of bone is good, I have to think exactly how can I link "break it" with the chamber of bone. Thanks again ;)
ONYX

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:35 am

onyx";p="130551" wrote:But... the idea of making the altar quest the chamber of bone is good, I have to think exactly how can I link "break it" with the chamber of bone. Thanks again ;)
Change the Altar graphic for a Tome (to actually learn the "Guardian Spell" you need to click on the tome so you actually "break it" or open it ;))

maybe a scroll with a oskill of "guardian" can be nice, so you actually learn the spell (have it +1) and the only way to increase it is destroying the altar in each difficulty :p (only three scrolls that can be charm like)

Black Omen's production

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:02 pm

Vendanna";p="130556" wrote: Change the Altar graphic for a Tome (to actually learn the "Guardian Spell" you need to click on the tome so you actually "break it" or open it ;))
Yes, but it still need to be "broken". Even if I change the graphics of the altar, the character plays kick animation. If I make it a tome, the hero will kick-open it ;)
ONYX

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:08 pm

onyx";p="130579" wrote:Yes, but it still need to be "broken". Even if I change the graphics of the altar, the character plays kick animation. If I make it a tome, the hero will kick-open it ;)
well another idea is that the graphic is the tome inside of a Ice stone or something that need to be kicked in order to get the tome.

of course, another idea is a demon butt so you actually kicks it but this sentence is merely a joke :lol:

there is always a way to get the idea, if this one don't satisfy you I will think in another one later ;)

Black Omen's production

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:12 pm

[quote=Vendanna";p="130581"]
of course, another idea is a demon butt so you actually kicks it but this sentence is merely a joke :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah! O-H I think THIS will be the quest! (and this is a joke too) :)
Last edited by onyx on Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONYX

RiZzMoE

Post by RiZzMoE » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:28 pm

[quote=onyx";p="125805"]This is the topic for suggestions and critics for Act 2.

NPCs:

Any ideas, suggestions and critics are welcome![/quote]

The Story of Diablo 2 - LOD is just a few years later than the Story of Diablo1. You mixed it up with the SinWar. The SinWar was 1000 years before Diablo1. At the SinWar the 3 brothers were banned in the soulstones and spreaded across the world. Diablo one's came to the Monks of Tristram, Baals to the Horadrim (--> Tal Rasha) and Mephisto to the Temple of Light in Kurast... 1000 years later the Story of Diablo1 startet....
(\(\
( -,-)
o_(")(")

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:36 pm

First of all - this was already disscussed in this topic. Check out this quote:

[quote=onyx";p="127272"]
I'm sure I've read this somewhere. But even it's not like that, my storyline is 1000 years before D2. Because I have ideas about Horazon and Khalim to be NPCs in the acts, and Act 3 town will be Kurast (and not Kurast Docks). So, that's the situation... ;)
[/quote]

I will advice you to read the topic before posting in it ;)

Second - you posted the same answer in one of the other threads. Please, avoid doing this in the future, or it will be considered as spamming.
ONYX

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: [BTH]Act 2 - layout/levels/quests/monsters/npcs...

Post by onyx » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:44 pm

Now, back to Act 2 topic. First screenshots from the Festering Nest are available. Took me some time to convert it (and it's not fully converted yet), but there is little left :) Here are the screenshots:

Festering Nest 1

Festering Nest 2

Any feedback will be appreciated ;)

The Festering Nest will be located under Lut Gholien and the Defiler will be in level 3. Your quest is to kill it.
ONYX

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:23 am

It looks very nice ;)

Is it a preset or maze level?

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:03 pm

It's a 3 level maze. That's why I haven't completed it yet - too many .ds1s to edit ;)
ONYX

Return to “Back to Hellfire”