Half-baked mod?

Information and updates for The Hordes of Chaos mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Darque, Yohann, afj666

Yayme

Half-baked mod?

Post by Yayme » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:32 pm

After several days play i've come to the conclusion that thoc v.7 is a half-baked mod. the download for the game is incomplete i mean why isn't the d2mod which the game requires to run included? wp's are missing, runewords are non-existant - never found a combo that worked yet whether based on the norm D2 runeword or phonetic ones that i have seen flying around this site so it makes runes pointless except for giving resists etc but then you can find better jewels that can have other mods on them, the skills are ghastley, the witches spectre does damage but the necro wraith doesn't yet they are the same thing, synergies eg: necro skills gets bonus from death mastery - what or where do you find death mastery, skeletons recieve bonus from bone armour???? well none of their stats changed to reflect this, some weird tab listing bonus on top left hand of the screen that has no purpose, a health sword that is way too small to notice when you are in battle so you end up dying needlessly and these i've only found these playing four diff chars though to act 2

Is this mod a single player only mod? as you can't seem to even ask without infringing the rules :roll:

It really doesn't encourage you to attemp to download any newer version that you'd have to pay for to get.

Oh i expect i'll get the usual "this has been covered in other threads" without giving any help what-so-ever.

it's a shame as it looks to be a really good mod and would be fun to play

the readme that comes with it next to worthless abosolutely no help, contact addy being http://www.d2mods.com for help, umm the site doen't exist as you transfered to phrozenkeep, so why put http://www.d2mods.com??

going by how often ppl reply on here i'll expect a reply sometime mid july 2016.
Last edited by Yayme on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Half-baked mod?

Post by onyx » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Didn't you notice the word beta in the title? ;)

[quote=Yayme";p="263836"]
It really doesn't encourage you to attemp to download any newer version that you'd have to pay for to get.
[/quote]

You don't have to pay. Fileplanet offers free accounts, they just made sure to hide it well. Check this guide and register for free.

[quote=Yayme";p="263836"]
the readme that comes with it next to worthless abosolutely no help, contact addy being http://www.d2mods.com for help, umm the site doen't exist as you transfered to phrozenkeep, so why put http://www.d2mods.com??
[/quote]

Maybe because http://www.d2mods.com is the Phrozen Keep official domain? :)
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by theonlymoose » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:42 pm

All I can say in defense of the modders - I'm surprised you're not playing THOC 8.1. :twisted:

Yayme

Post by Yayme » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:03 pm

thank you Onyx for the info, i will try v.8 (whooo hoo also a beta ;) ) as soon as it's finished downloading and i have re-installed a clean version of D2 v1.10 of course :)

*quote* theonlymoose wote:
All I can say in defense of the modders - I'm surprised you're not playing THOC 8.1.

I am now and it's even worse than v.7 at least in that version you could combine the spells and book some upgrade 8.1 is... bit like trading your car in for a newer model that doesn't include a steering wheel or engine! and as it's been 6 months and no patches etc. it really doesn't bode well.

might seem a strange question but don't they use any form of beta testers first? or didn't they try being a witch or wizard before it was released and just assumed it would work?
Last edited by Yayme on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desu

Post by Desu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:07 am

in some way, we are kinda the beta tester, us, player...

and im not sure to understand, why the spellbook merge with a spellscroll was working ell in the older version and now its doesn't...( yeah i know there been a bug) I mean its would have taken like 1 hour to fix and they could have put the txt file on the download page of there site...

Yayme

Post by Yayme » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:48 am

i've gotten around the spellbook/spell prob in a round-a-bout way, i have 2 computers, 1 with v7 and 1 with v8 installed. i host a game with the v.7 one and join with the v.8 one, then transfer what i what to transmute to a diff char and hey presto i have a spellbook with spells in it. of course i'm lucky to have 2 comps but others might not....

now to find a runword that works on a polearm and helm.....

1 more question, can you gamble for only magic and rare items or is there a chance of uniques and set items?

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:23 pm

[quote=Yayme";p="263842"]and as it's been 6 months and no patches etc. it really doesn't bode well.
[/quote]

The modmaker hasn't been very active in those 6 months. Don't forget that modmaking isn't a full time job that we get paid for, so it's only up to the modmaker's will for how long and how far he will go on with his mod. Darque did a great job on the mod, but lately he moved on to other activities. He might or might not return to The Hordes of Chaos.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Yayme

Post by Yayme » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:57 pm

for all he bugs and gliches i am impressed with the overall mod just a shame it was also left half-baked just like v.7, begs the question will it ever be anything other than a beta version.

tbh if i knew how to mod i would have a go myself but getting krysia aka akara to sell runes is the best i have ever managed.

still no joy on the runeword front, any tips on one thats easy to make on a weapon for shield?

**edit**
is the reason there seems to be no list for runewords is that there isn't any that work?? i have all the runes from Er-It and still haven't found any combination that works yet. most of the runewords floating aound this site were suggestions for words AFTER v8.1 was released so can't be apart of he mod. any idea as to where the runes.txt is so that i may enable them?

**edit 2**
I now have +4 to conjuration mastery and can't tell the difference with my summons, does it do anything at all or is it another thing that isn't working correctly? why do i suspect the latter.....

***edit 3***
ok so to re-roll charms you use a neutralizer instead of gems (now gems are useless) but as the end result is always a lvl 1 charm how do you re-roll higher lvl charms? there must be a combination i haven't tried but i am at a loss at to what it is, tried using neutralizers, dragons blood, alchemist reagent, demons essence, fairy dust and gems to no avail.

using fairy dust to remove sockets not only removes the sockets but it also makes the item low quailty!! just great if you found a superior item and wanted more sockets on it.....

I pity any summoning necro as they will never get out of normal and into nightmare as the final boss will destroy any summons in 1 hit and that is before he has made 2 or more copies of himself, that is if he stays still long enough as he teleports way too much and you can't get close to him to hit him due to the fequency of the cold knockback he and his clones do, it took 50mins to kill him in the end which makes Hell baal in D2 look like a fallen in norm difficulty!!!! there has to be something wrong somewhere, just makes you wonder what he's going to be like in NM?? 10 clones??? twice the life?? as if he needs it!!!!

A very good mod overall but not an enjoyable one when fundalmantal things just don't work, lack of information such as much requested runewords is due to the fact that there are no working runewords, cube recipes are complex and need a university degree in physics and mathamatics to work out the possible cominations... leading to multi posts covering the same subject, a sticky giving some recipes and runewors would be useful in the extreme and if you wish to discover them yourself the answer being just never look at that post.
Last edited by Yayme on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Darque
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Darque » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:05 pm

here is an early runeword list (http://dom.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/tho ... ewords.htm) if you would have gone through the THOC forum a bit more, you would have found it yourself.
I do plan on returning to continue with mod development, but I am not sure when yet. I am working on 2 other projects at the same time, as well as having a real life too.
Diabolic Studios Web Site | Forum
THoC Beta v8.1Download | Feedback

Infinitum Web Site
Read The Forum Terms of Service

Yayme

Post by Yayme » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:26 pm

i did find that page particular page a while back and couldn't find one word that worked (but then i only have the first 30 odd runes - upto what was Zod) and i still haven't been able to fond any combo that does either.

two other projects?? a patch of this would have been nice but i suppose it isn't well supported enough to warrant that, i mean i got fed up with having to transfer stuff between two chars (luckily i got 2 comps but it's a pain trying to get two versions running at the same time) just so i could transmute things in the cube all because i was not the correct level as required in v.8.

vanilla here i come.....

Darque
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Darque » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:18 pm

The runewords are not enabled for all items...some are for weapons only, and some are for armor only, etc. Typically I set the runewords based on the elements to be for weapons, and the runewords based on class names to be for armour, although that isn't the case 100% of the time.
Diabolic Studios Web Site | Forum
THoC Beta v8.1Download | Feedback

Infinitum Web Site
Read The Forum Terms of Service

Return to “The Hordes of Chaos”