Is this possible???

Post anything else Diablo II legacy related here but remember this ISN'T a hack site. All posts directly related to battle.net hacking will be deleted.
DragonBane
Champion of the Light

Is this possible???

Post by DragonBane » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:16 am

Is it possible to make more than 7 char classes? say i wanted to make a mod based on a game like dynasty warriors 2-3, if you have ever played them, you will notice that there are tons of different people, so is it possible?

a) make like 10 different classes.

b) make the character selection screen have thumbnails of the characters instead of full bodies, and have the info on the side, and then the rest.

just wondering if both/either of those are possible... I dont think ill use it but if i want to at least i can, or someone else can.
"Cold be heart and hand and stone, cold be traveller's far from home."

Arstahd
Paladin

Post by Arstahd » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:23 am

a) No, not without HEAVY code editing which would require source code and an enormous amount of time and effort.

b) Not sure, potentially possible.
Last edited by Arstahd on Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonBane
Champion of the Light

Post by DragonBane » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:25 am

wouldnt you say...

yes, but not without... cuz if its possible in any means than yes, but not with what we have eh? ok...

Arstahd
Paladin

Post by Arstahd » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:40 am

For all practical purposes it's impossible for a common modder to add additional classes. Of course it's theoretically possible, if we had Blizzard's code, programers, funding, ect... , we could create anything we wanted.

Is that more to your liking?

DragonBane
Champion of the Light

Post by DragonBane » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:11 am

yah ;)

i was surprised when i heard that some blizzard people actually take a look at some of us modders mods :)
maybe someday they will be nice and give us more! you never know, maybe they will actually make things easier for us?

I dunno, i just wanted to say that

SubSanity
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SubSanity » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:33 am

DragonBane" wrote:yah ;)

i was surprised when i heard that some blizzard people actually take a look at some of us modders mods :)
Jarulf's from Bliz if I'm not wrong. He helps the community lots.

DragonBane
Champion of the Light

Post by DragonBane » Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:38 am

yeah there was an interview at the keep with someone i believe

Apocalypse Demon
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by Apocalypse Demon » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:54 pm

Sub, Jarulf is not from blizzard. If he was, Diablo 2 wouldn't have bugs in it. ;)

RexxLaww
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Hand-picked

Post by RexxLaww » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:45 pm

Apocalypse Demon" wrote:Sub, Jarulf is not from blizzard. If he was, Diablo 2 wouldn't have bugs in it. ;)
:lol: Well Spoke Apoc! :lol:

Jarulf is more like a freelance consultant to us mere peasants in the Diablo Community. Nice part is, he doesn't charge. :D
The Frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick.

Kato
Retired staff
Virtue

Post by Kato » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:04 pm

:OI:

Blizzard is not in the business of making a more enjoyable game. They are in the business of making money.

Giving modders the source code to D2 would be tantamount to giving away their license on this product. They won't do it. It doesn't make business sense. Besides, programmers *never* give up their source code; it's a trade secret in order to keep your job.

If I was a D2 programmer, yeah, I'd seriously cruise the Phrozen Keep and improve the game using very efficient program code . . . and then take the credit for it! Blizzard does not owe anything to the mod community, from their point of view.
"Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed." - D.Vader
Zy-El: Trial by Fire Mod Forum: http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=53
Zy-El website: http://www3.telus.net/zyel/index.html Zy-El wiki: http://zyel.wikispaces.com/

Caän
Paladin

Post by Caän » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:16 pm

And the worst part is, theoretically Bliz can sue me for calling an offensive fire shield "Immolation". It violates their copyright, yadda yadda.

Nevertheless, I use Warcraft 3 speech in my mod. ^_^
Better thinking through beta testing.

RexxLaww
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Hand-picked

Post by RexxLaww » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:18 pm

"Kato Blizzard does not owe anything to the mod community, from their point of view."
That being said, they also havent gone after us and tried to shut us down either. In fact, when 1.09 was released, I believe it was a programmer from Blizzard/Blizzard North who let us in on the whole -direct -txt .bin scheme.
The Frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:24 pm

Hmmm. This issue has come up numerous times and I suspect we'll see it again. I'm sure Blizzard could sue my @$$ a million times over for stuff that's gone into ZhoulomCrypt and CryptForge as well.

But, until that official letter from Blizzard comes on down and tells us to shut down, it's gonna be business as usual here at the keep. :mrgreen:
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Kato
Retired staff
Virtue

Post by Kato » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:31 pm

;)

Oh no, don't get me wrong. Blizzard will not come after modders. Why should they? We're doing their testing and debugging for free. What I meant to say in my earlier post (if I wasn't clear in the first place) is that Blizzard will not give us any of the credit for "enhancements" done to D2.

In fact, it would not surprise me if Blizzard came out with a new "Expansion" that featured stuff we've added to the game and called it their own . . . and of course, rake in the cash for it. I can see it now - the new D2 expansion "Seige on Phrozen Keep" featuring:

- increased stash, backpack and cube sizes
- character level limit increased to 250
- improved monster drops
- "new" monsters (some resurrected from D1)
- new runewords (as if 17 were ever enough!)
- new cube recipes (as if 100 were ever enough!)
- new skill tabs for all classes (try to rebalance some of the uber-classes)
- new unique items
- new set items
"Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed." - D.Vader
Zy-El: Trial by Fire Mod Forum: http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=53
Zy-El website: http://www3.telus.net/zyel/index.html Zy-El wiki: http://zyel.wikispaces.com/

Caän
Paladin

Post by Caän » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:37 pm

Remember the Warcraft 3 beta mod? It is the most balanced version of Warcraft 3 so far.

They shut it down.

DragonBane
Champion of the Light

Post by DragonBane » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:45 pm

Kato, good point. Man, bill gates should pay some dudes to make a game that is 100% for modding pretty much, you know. Give us the rule book and we pretty much make the game. What i mean is...
They should make (not bliz, anyone) game that has no story, no devoloped characters and no skills, but include many different animations and skills, and devolped towns that can be further enhanced. I mean, a game like that would REALLY give us some nice finished products, and if they did that they really couldnt put a license on it because its not technically done now is it? well, they shouldn't if its for modders only.
Maybe make a few progs that go with it that have everything about the game and have been made by actual programmers, and since the are made for That game, you would have minimal difficulty using them.

I know this whole post is confusing, but if you want i can get more clear and say more.. But this is my opinion in having a game that modders would love, i mean, we would finish it! and with no license you ANYTHING on it, we could sell it too coulnt we? Hmm, i have no clue.. But im seeing possible things here.

Caän
Paladin

Post by Caän » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:46 pm

You mean Dungeon Siege?

It's from Microsoft, it has no storyline, is very unfinished, and generally sucks. A modder's paradise, except it's so useless I don't even want to mod it.

DragonBane
Champion of the Light

Post by DragonBane » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:58 pm

No not that, hehe
It wouldnt suck, i mean, nothing is done really, and i mean it wouldnt even have a name. Nothing like that because it wouldnt suck...

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:11 am

In answer to the original question for this thread, no you can't make more than seven character classes, but each character can be subclassed three ways with inventive modifications to skills. I think it is Joel who is doing just that with his mod (if somebody else is doing that instead, I apologize for having a senior moment).

But since the respondants have wandered into distant realms indeed, I will send this topic a-voyaging too...to General Diablo2 Discussion.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

keybordkiller
Paladin
Location: Underneath The Rock in the Center of the Third Ring Of Hell.
United States of America

Post by keybordkiller » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:38 am

DragonBane" wrote:They should make (not bliz, anyone) game that has no story, no devoloped characters and no skills, but include many different animations and skills, and devolped towns that can be further enhanced. I mean, a game like that would REALLY give us some nice finished products, and if they did that they really couldnt put a license on it because its not technically done now is it? well, they shouldn't if its for modders only.
Maybe make a few progs that go with it that have everything about the game and have been made by actual programmers, and since the are made for That game, you would have minimal difficulty using them.
Not to get too off subject, but diddn't thay do this no PS2 with the game Dark Cloud? Same principle..

Now back to the subject. doing something like this would take a LOT of Dll work to, rite??
Be careful what you say, the life you save might be your own!

The Greatest thing you'll ever learn is to Love, and accept being Loved in return.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:46 am

keyboardkiller" wrote:Now back to the subject. doing something like this would take a LOT of Dll work to, rite??
Yep, the amount of work that would have to be done in the dlls is so immense that it is just not worth it.

keybordkiller
Paladin
United States of America

Post by keybordkiller » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:56 am

Thank you Alkalund. I've been reading Alot about this here lately. Must be the THING everyone is going to want to do.... I wonder why??? :?:

The Greatest thing you'll ever learn is to Love, and accept being Loved in return.

SubSanity
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SubSanity » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:56 pm

Hehe, came back to this thread and realised my mistake.. :oops: I've been seeing and reading a lot of wrong things of late.. Probably need a break after 1.06 .. :-| I'm pretty sure, we're being watched by Blizz.. I mean they could shut us down whenever they wanted right.. ?

keybordkiller
Paladin
United States of America

Post by keybordkiller » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:37 am

I think thay could, if thay really wanted to. But Why do that, we hunt & kill there bugs. point out there inconsistenties. This is the best brainstorming site for this game.

All I see Are to many +'s to why thay shouldn't shut it down. But, on the other hand, some people don't like others to point at what they did wrong in the first place either. :)

Kato
Retired staff
Virtue

Post by Kato » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:55 pm

:x

It doesn't matter if they like us or not for pointing out their mistakes. In the end, they (Blizzard) can take our ideas and fix their product and make more money. In the end, they get the last laugh!

They don't even have to give us credit and why would they?

Return to “Diablo II Chatter”