File Mirrors

Check here for any important information about the Phrozen Keep and these forums. Only staff members may start a new topic but anyone may post their thoughts and responses.
jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

File Mirrors

Post by jbouley » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:42 am

Howdy, folks.

Within the next day or two, I should have a second "mirror page" up, this one at The Grotto, so that you have two places to go when Fileplanet just won't do.

I also want to take this moment to strongly suggest that you use the mirror sites only if you legitimately have problems connecting with Fileplanet or the wait times are really atrocious (despite what so many people say, I rarely have wait time on the public servers. Eight or 9 times out of 10 when I log in, there is either no wait or only a few minutes.).

Why?

Well, Kardon's generously hosted space to us has a 5 gig bandwidth. In the time since I got that mirror page up, 1.7 gigs have already been used. If it hits the max, Kardon will have to shut the space down until the next month's bandwidth becomes available, so use those links wisely.

I'm hoping that when the Grotto page is up and ready, that will take some of the stress off by spreading the bandwidth around, but please, please don't use the mirrors as your primary way of downloading tools and files unless you have no choice. :)

Fileplanet sucks in many ways, but it doesn't suck as bad as most of like to think...myself included. ;) :P

Thanks, folks...let's hope we can keep from overloading that bandwidth too early each month.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

DDDiablo
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: File Mirrors

Post by DDDiablo » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:37 am

jbouley";p="145795" wrote:
Fileplanet sucks in many ways, but it doesn't suck as bad as most of like to think...myself included. ;) :P

Thanks, folks...let's hope we can keep from overloading that bandwidth too early each month.
I agree with that. But I never understood why we left FilePlanet in the first place, it's a big company = reliable. I never ever had any wait problems on the public servers (only once when dling the very popular file pactch 1.1). The speeds were good too. I'm just glad that we're back.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:57 am

The main reason we left GameSpy (Fileplanet is just part of GameSpy, just like Planet Diablo is, through whom we are hosted) was actually not related to Fileplanet...though complaints about Fileplanet did play a role.

The biggest reason was that when we moved to Xfernet was that we, as admins, had direct control over approving new hosted sites, setting them up, and managing their accounts. At GameSpy, Planet Diablo pretty much calls the shots on that, and GameSpy techs are the only ones that can set people up with accounts officially.

It can be frustrating if you have three people lined up for possible hosting, and GameSpy is busy...and it takes two weeks or longer for things to get finalized. Which does happen at times....or did in the past, anyway.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Kardon
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Kardon » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:04 pm

jbouley";p="145795" wrote:Kardon's generously hosted space to us has a 5 gig bandwidth.
It's now set at 10GB and holding captain! *Salutes*

If you want to see what other people are downloading, http://www.kardon.biz/cgi-bin/awstats/a ... =urldetail Check out the most viewed files. That will show you what other people download :)
Last edited by Kardon on Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:23 pm

Kardon";p="149582" wrote:It's now set at 10GB and holding captain! *Salutes*
Excellent, Mr. Scott. Now, if you'd just get those warp engines back up.
;)

Sorry, couldn't help the lame Star Trek reference. Except for the salute, you seemed so "Scotty-like" for a moment. :mrgreen:
-Jeff Bouley

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by spin » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:29 am

Hmm, I've seen allot of trek, but when did Scotty ever salute to Kirk ? ;)
zomg, no more sites!

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:07 pm

Well, his most famous line is

<use scotish accent here>
"Well captain, I can't do that !"

Captain Kirk and Scotty are around the same "military position" but one is in the technical stuff, other is just a generic captain.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:24 pm

spin";p="149708" wrote:Hmm, I've seen allot of trek, but when did Scotty ever salute to Kirk ? ;)
That's why I mentioned the salute was un-Scotty-like. But everything else he said just reminded me of episodes where it would be like:

"Aye, Cap'n, she holdin' steady."

"Cap'n, I canna hold th' engines at this speed much long'r"

Etc. ;)

OK, maybe just my addled brain. In any case, I'm glad Kardon was able to eke out some more bandwidth for the hungry masses. :)
-Jeff Bouley

Return to “Staff Announcements”