The Rednas Group is moving to a new ISP

Check here for any important information about the Phrozen Keep and these forums. Only staff members may start a new topic but anyone may post their thoughts and responses.
spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

The Rednas Group is moving to a new ISP

Post by spin » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:23 am

Hey all!

Here's an announcement you don't see every day, one coming from me as sysadmin from the Rednas Group instead of Forum Tech guy.

The Rednas group's network and all the servers attached to it are going to move from ISP. This won't happen overnight, and the actuall switch is still a few weeks if not months away. When this happens all the websites will have to go through one IP change aswell, meaning they will be unreachable for a while. Depening on nameserver sync's, the weather and if the Gods of the internet are smilies upon us, this might take a few days before it actually is processed globally. (nameservers are a B...)

The reasons for this move are quite simple, money and uptime. The new line will be SDSL (1:1) (the current one is a Direct Line), it will be 2mbit (the current one is 2mbit aswell), and there will be no traffic costs (the current one has quite a steep cost). The new line will also have a much better uptime then the current one. We allready had this ISP as a http-proxy solution for 2 years, they went down once or twice during this time. Where the current line went down numerous times.

We might even be able to mirror some, if not all of the filecenter's contents with the new line. Depending offcourse on wether this "no traffic costs" deal really is going to hold. So we'll have to wait a little before that.

On a side note, this switch is also what has been slowing progress towards the Forum's upgrade, as I currently am swamped with work. Preparing servers often needs to be done during nonwork hours, and this cuts into any time that can be spend on other things like these sites.

I hope (and kinda expect ;)) you all understand. Both the fact of the delay in forum upgrades and the fact that the forums will be unreachable for a while, sometime in the near future. (yes, I will try and post a date, as soon, and if, I know one)
Last edited by spin on Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
zomg, no more sites!

spin
Retired Admin
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Re: The Rednas Group is moving to a new ISP

Post by spin » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:22 am

Sorry, this is a little late to notice, but the IP switch for d2mods.info has been planned for later today.

The current IP (194.178.200.87) will be switched with the new one (217.195.243.156) at 1200 hours GMT+1.

(IPs have been switched!)
Last edited by spin on Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zomg, no more sites!

Uzume
Paladin

Re: The Rednas Group is moving to a new ISP

Post by Uzume » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you spin (I was actually on to feel the bump; the redirection from forums.d2mods.com was slow enough I got caught by it and a browser crash but I did not have to wait long).

Return to “Staff Announcements”