Main Site Downage / Rebuilding Updates [Changed Title]

Check here for any important information about the Phrozen Keep and these forums. Only staff members may start a new topic but anyone may post their thoughts and responses.
jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Main Site Downage / Rebuilding Updates [Changed Title]

Post by jbouley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:44 pm

Many of you have probably noticed that the main site is down...and it's been a fairly long outage.

The problem is at Xfernet's end, and we are trying to find out what that problem is.

The forums, though, are fine, as they are located on a separate network.

We'll keep you posted as to developments. Sorry for any invconvenience. (I'm one of the people being inconvenienced, by the way...I had JUST released a new version of my mod. :x)
Last edited by jbouley on Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Main Site Is Down

Post by onyx » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:50 pm

Any idea when it's going to be up again? :(
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:58 pm

If I did, I would have posted something. :)

This is a challenge when you're a site like us that must rely on free hosting.

We don't charge a dime to members, we don't have a way to generate revenue, and we have a lot of downloads and high bandwidth usage. So, we have to rely on other companies to provide us with space. If they have problems, those problems translate over to us. It's happened before, it will happen again, and it's possible (though I hope not) that we'll have to locate a new host.

Would be nice if Blizzard funded us with a grant. ;) Or if some rich benefactor gave us the means to purchase a server or find a large paid host with nothing but a stable, great reputation. :P But, I also wish I would win the lotto. :roll:

Sorry guys. We'll let you know something as soon as we know something. It's a pain, but that's life. :(
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Aazzlano

Post by Aazzlano » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:27 pm

Still down!? :x i was on the downloads page when it went down so I knew exactly when it was down...but that was yesterday!

*thinks it should be fixed by now*

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:56 pm

I agree. But no need for all of you to start boosting your blood pressures through the roof...myself and the other admins have plenty of anger about the situation already. ;)

Let us have the strokes and heart attacks...we'll figure something out as soon as possible.
-Jeff Bouley

Ssergit
Champion of the Light
Location: Running around outside of Lut Gholein, sqashing scorpions

Post by Ssergit » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:22 pm

Argh. I've been hoping against hope that I can test ES 2.3 and now that Cell's sent me the link, I can't get at it. Do you guys know if Xfernet's people are the type that only work 9-5? As in, it Sux2B us 'till Monday?

If SiC (or ES 2.3) aren't too huge, I could probably host them on my webspace 'till Xfernet comes back online...
Dough, the stuff that buys my beer
Ray, the guy who buys my beer
Me, the guy who drinks my beer
Far = a long way to the john
So, I'll have another beer
La--I'll have another beer
Tea? No thanks, I'm drinking beer...
-Homer Simpson

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:26 pm

I appreciate the offer. If Cell is interested and you can host his mod, I'd say go for it.

I don't want to impose on you, though, mainly because I'd feel weird putting myself before all the other modders and hosted sites. As an admin, I'd feel that was an abuse of power and privilege.

I do have a very temporary solution I posted in my forum for my mod...but it's one that doesn't step on anyone's toes (at least, I don't think it will ;))
-Jeff Bouley

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:26 pm

No one can be perfect either, it doesn't matter what host you are using. There will always be a problem sometimes and we still have the forum to visit. Its quite genius that site/forum is on different servers ;)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:30 pm

Thanks God for our forum tech person, spin, and the company he works at Rednas Group, for providing us that separate space.

It's a shame that at the moment, his company cannot donate us server space for the file center, because of the huge bandwidth usage for the file center and the costs that would incur his company.

However, we are in the midst of a changeover that will probably bring the site (EXCEPT for the file center) onto the same server as the forums. Unfortunately, we aren't in a position to launch that new setup yet. And I have no timetable, as we've been setting that up over several weeks and still have substantial work to do.

But just wanted to let people know that long-term, we might have the capability to host the site pages in a couple places for emergency purposes someday in the foreseeable future.

The file center will always be a tough issue, though, as mirroring it will be difficult to do (for free at least)
-Jeff Bouley

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:34 pm

kingpin";p="131407" wrote: Its quite genius that site/forum is on different servers ;)
Yes, it's true. If the forums are down, this will cause too much troubles (or should I say assertions? ;) ). Many people spend much time here, and many people come here for help. I think it will cause a chaos on the mod-making scene, with everybody having problems and no one getting help ;)
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Ssergit
Champion of the Light
Location: Running around outside of Lut Gholein, sqashing scorpions

Post by Ssergit » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:17 pm

np, Jeff, I just figured I'd offer. I'm thinking that by the time Cell would read my offer the site'll be back up--he's been checking once a day around 12am. You're kind to preserve the boundary of favoritism, but I don't think anyone would have blamed you for trying to make it available, considering we've all been slavering over the news of the update anyway. ;)

Isn't it funny how life strives to teach us patience, usually at the exact moment that we wish it wouldn't...

EDIT: nice re-direct ;)
Last edited by Ssergit on Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dough, the stuff that buys my beer
Ray, the guy who buys my beer
Me, the guy who drinks my beer
Far = a long way to the john
So, I'll have another beer
La--I'll have another beer
Tea? No thanks, I'm drinking beer...
-Homer Simpson

demonachizer

Post by demonachizer » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:10 am

What sort of bandwidth do you guys use monthly?

shaky
Paladin

Post by shaky » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:15 am

Does anyone have any info on how and why this happend and when it is expected to be fixed.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:03 am

demonachizer";p="131482" wrote:What sort of bandwidth do you guys use monthly?
Phrozen Heart would have a better handle on this...I never paid a lot of attention. But the figure would be fairly large, with all our downloads (mods, tools, etc.). Maybe he can specify a fairly recent figure.
shaky";p="131484" wrote: Does anyone have any info on how and why this happend and when it is expected to be fixed.
Not enough to provide any real answers. But we've already begun to look for alternate solutions (i.e. options for mirroring the site and/or finding a new host)...so we're aiming to solve this as soon as possible, and "fixing" it may mean us having to take action. We're NOT counting on Xfernet to fix anything for us.

EDIT

I think we may have identified a solution to getting the site up pretty soon. I'll let you all know for sure when things are more or less set in stone...but it looks promising right now. As you've probably seen from Phrozen Heart's recent thread, we have some temporary links set up, so we're moving forward at least. Looking to have the site completely back up as soon as humanly possible.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime; we really don't like this any more than you do, and your access to the sites downloads and resources is at the top of our list right now.
Last edited by jbouley on Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff Bouley

morning star

Post by morning star » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:46 pm

Thank all of you guys for working so hard to get the site back up and keeping us informed at the same time :D It sucks the main site is down, but it's great that the fourms are still running.

On a side note, it's really suprising that you guys are having a hard time to find free mirroring, being the center of the D2 modding community. One of the mirrors for OverClocked ReMix has the bandwidth meter run by the hour, not by the day, so even if it gets hammered it won't be down all the time. And they use 3-5 GB a day. Maybe something to look into?

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:25 pm

morning star";p="131524" wrote:Thank all of you guys for working so hard to get the site back up and keeping us informed at the same time :D It sucks the main site is down, but it's great that the fourms are still running.

On a side note, it's really suprising that you guys are having a hard time to find free mirroring, being the center of the D2 modding community. One of the mirrors for OverClocked ReMix has the bandwidth meter run by the hour, not by the day, so even if it gets hammered it won't be down all the time. And they use 3-5 GB a day. Maybe something to look into?
OverClocked ReMix?
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:13 pm

OK...we've got a new server to upload to thanks to DaMidget, who has sent me FTP login info as of this morning.

I will get the most recent backup of the site up ASAP, then Phrozen Heart, Alkalund and I will get to updating links so that we can get the site live again very soon.

There will be some missing content that we'll need to fill in, as my last backup of the site was in July and because of technical issues, we don't have anything more recent. First priority will be to get the main site up. We'll contact hosted sites as we get them set up so that they can upload their pages and files to the new server.

Thanks again for all your patience. As soon as the site is live again, we'll let you know. :)
-Jeff Bouley

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:38 pm

jbouley";p="131546" wrote: Thanks again for all your patience.
Do we had a choice? ;) Just joking...

I'm very happy that you found a solution, being temporary or not. And hope Xfernet fixes it's problems or you find your new permanent server soon!
ONYX

DaMidget

Post by DaMidget » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:03 pm

Hi guys, hope you enjoy the server. If you have any problems you can contact me via AIM, MSN, or EMail and I will do my best to fix the problem.
~DaMidget~
Last edited by DaMidget on Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morning star

Post by morning star » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:27 pm

PhrozenHeart";p="131533" wrote:
morning star";p="131524" wrote:Thank all of you guys for working so hard to get the site back up and keeping us informed at the same time :D It sucks the main site is down, but it's great that the fourms are still running.

OverClocked ReMix?
A game music website, they even got some Diablo stuff there :) It'll give you something to do while the keep is down.

OC ReMix

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:35 pm

onyx";p="131548" wrote:And hope Xfernet fixes it's problems or you find your new permanent server soon!
Xfernet is not likely to fix its problems, and Raziel, formerly of the now-dead (and probably permanently so) Xfernet had better not end up in a dark alley with me or Phrozen Heart any time soon. :twisted:
-Jeff Bouley

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:36 pm

morning star";p="131558" wrote:A game music website, they even got some Diablo stuff there :)
Thanks, I might take a look :)
morning star";p="131558" wrote:It'll give you something to do while the keep is down.
Nice thought but right now we already have something to do...get the Keep back up again ;)
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Kardon
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Kardon » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:23 am

I have an "unlimited bandwidth" web-host. This could be a great way to test if it's truely unlimited. Phrozenheart or Jbouley, email me :)

kardon@x-trememodz.com

DaMidget

Post by DaMidget » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:27 am

Just so you guys know the site is back up. Same url and all

DaMidget

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:02 am

A good chunk of the site still needs to be uploaded...mostly File Center stuff. But I'm having FTP problems all of a sudden, which is delaying that.

Will resume as soon as I'm able. Also, we'll try to start getting hosted sites set up on the DaMidget's server as quickly as possible so that you can re-upload your sites and your files.
-Jeff Bouley

Return to “Staff Announcements”